LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help! Told I need a new trany in a 2010 LR4 with 51k

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2016, 11:30 AM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help! Told I need a new trany in a 2010 LR4 with 51k

Bought used 2010 LR4 5 months ago from dealer (well maintained, 49k)-- this past weekend, in the fast lane-- unable to accelerate and car went limb-- pulled over 4 lanes of traffic. Occurred several more times-- dealer tried to update control control module and said it could be a bad MAP sensor (not changed yet). Also told my transmission fluid is extremely dark for the age of the car.... In the end, were told we need a new transmission. We're at 51k miles-- and quoted anywhere from 5k for a rebuilt transmission to 11k for a new one. So frustrated. This is the second lemon we bought from our dealer (first was a year of problems and finally sold/traded in for a newer). Anyone have recommendations besides painting it yellow, putting it in front of the LR dealership and writing "dead transmission at 50k"? Anyone get LR to help slightly out of warranty? We didn't buy the extended warranty as we had it for our last lemon and was crap. So frustrated. -- and this is the 2nd dealership that said we need a new trany.

Thanks!

Old 04-22-2016, 09:30 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Sorry, I cannot help. I would pull tranny myself and replace, but that is me and what I do. I have 59K on mine and tow occasionally and getting ready to do service. Try an Independent transmission shop and see if they can help.

Old 04-23-2016, 01:09 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

I'm really sorry to hear that - what terrible luck. Unfortunately if you have two dealers telling you that you need a new transmission, that is probably the case. And yes - it's expensive. The LR4 uses the 6-speed ZF transmission (8 speed on more recent models). This is used in many cars and is in general quite reliable.

ZF do reconditioned ones that are quite a lot cheaper than new so worth considering

I'd suggest talking to the dealer you bought it from - 5 months into ownership and just a couple of thousand miles suggests it was a problem developing before you bought it - so maybe they will work with you on price a bit. But I wouldn't expect a huge amount as its a long way out of warranty now.

However as suggested above, you would likely be better finding an Indy who has worked on LR vehicles before - their labour (and parts mark up) will be much lower.

I know it's hard not to blame Land Rover reliability - but this is a high quality third party part that is in many many high end vehicles so sadly this is just bad luck

Let us know how you get on

Old 05-01-2016, 08:32 PM
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Bummer. Rebuilt transmissions from a ZF rebuilder are around $5k installed, out the door with a 2 year warranty on the transmission. I've no problems with my local ZF rebuilder and would go this route. Good luck

The following users liked this post:
mr4x4 (08-12-2016)
Old 06-26-2016, 11:29 AM
Winching
Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts

I have yet to see a ZF 6HP transmission that couldn't be fixed. Usually faults are isolated to Mechatronics issues (available separately) or E-clutch issues, both of which can be fixed without replacement.

Of course, without any fault codes or results of any diagnostic tests performed, anything we say or recommend here is PURE speculation.

Old 06-27-2016, 10:02 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Find an independent transmission shop or a national chain: one with lots of BMWs and MBs in their lot. ZFs are reasonably easy to fix with each type having some kind of known faults. Faults a shop that rebuilds or fixes are aware.

And do the due diligence through your local BBB or Angies List. Five grand is really quite high if it is just a common part failure.