LR4 Talk about the Land Rover LR4 within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will it cost a fortune to own a LR4?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 08:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 83 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrippttu
I am brand new to this forum. My wife and I are trying to decide between a LR4 and a Mercedes ML350. We intend to purchase one used probably a 2012 model. My wife would be the primary user. It would rarely see a gravel road and I can guaranty it will never see a trail.

People tell me that the Land Rovers require a lot of expensive maintenance, but then I find that these same people have never owned one. I would like to get the truth from some real owners.

Will it cost a fortune to own a LR4 that never leaves the asphalt? Are they a ticking time bomb of break downs and repairs?
All my wife's truck has ever needed is gas, oil changes, one new set of tires and it's coming up on pads.

Beast of a car. The 5 ltr v8 has great get up and go, sounds good too!

Old 12-08-2015, 04:28 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

What did you decide in the end? Are you going for the LR4?

Old 12-09-2015, 09:39 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I had a 07 Ford F150 5.4 Supercrew. Did the usual oil changes, brakes and other fluids at 60K. Never had a problem, but did some preventive repairs per website like these. My LR4 has been great. Regular oil changes as my truck and getting ready for the 60K fluid changes as the truck. Biggest surprise first time under the LR4 was the FoMoCo stamps everywhere.

Old 12-14-2015, 12:52 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had a MB GL450 prior to our LR4 (yes, it's not an ML, but it compares well to the LR4). Between 80K & 95K miles the GL got very troublesome, even needing to have the engine out once (luckily the CarMax extended warranty covered all that--paid for itself in one visit). Water pump went out while we were on vacation. It was my wife's daily driver and never off-road. We sold it at 95K and got the Landy.

Our LR4 has 70K miles on it now. We've had some issues with suspension at one wheel, the DVD player replaced, and some minor mechanical stuff. We'll see how it is as we get closer to six-figure mileage.

As far as "regular" costs go, i agree with all of the above: for either car, you should budget for regular preventive maintenance (I'd say $ 2,000 annually, averaged over several years of ownership). I personally strongly recommend having a warranty that carries you out for a long time. Bigger repairs will come and they will be expensive. There is no doubt.

For us the only drawback to the Landy has been that the nearest dealer is 45 minutes away and MB is 9 minutes from our house. But since we bought the LR4 from CarMax as well, we drop it off in town and if it needs the dealer, they take it over there and provide a loaner if it's going to be a longer repair under warranty--it just adds an extra day without it.

Good luck and enjoy !

PS: I took my wife's LR4 off-road Thanksgiving 2014 and I don't know what was more memorable: the field/forest/stream/mudhole trek, or the look on her face when I brought it back all filthy