Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

Badlands vs. Superwinch

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 08:50 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

To me it doesn't make sense to spend $1000+ on a bumper and then go cheapf*ck on the winch.
My winch has saved my truck from flopping down the side of the hill.
When I go off roading or into the backcountry I don't want to have to worry about my "bargain" recovery equipment.
I'm not saying you need to spend $2000 on the latest greatest Warn offering, but IMO you should be doing some homework. Compare things that matter like line speed, amp draw, synthetic compatible, type of solenoid, etc.

When I bought my winch I did a LOT of homework and decided I'd look for a used Superwinch EP9.0. These are good winches and not easily found used. I stumbled on the Viking GS9 winch and after doing some sleuthing found that the Superwinch EP9.0, Viking GS9, and ComeUp DV9 are all the same winch made by the same company. I scored my new winch for ~$400 shipped. Found a new MasterPull line on Ebay for ~$200. Found a Viking 3/8"x85' extension for ~$100.

My point is if you know what you want you can find a good deal.
Things you should consider in a winch, things I WOULD NOT do without.
-Synthetic Line compatible/external brake
-Albright style waterproof contactor instead of multiple solenoids
-Balance of low amp draw and fast line speed.

Old 05-11-2015, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

My badlands 12k is noisy, slow but has pulled my super stuck *** out, been submerged and also saved my *** from flopping down off the side of a hill

Old 05-11-2015, 10:04 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts

Like I said, a lot of it comes down to what each person is comfortable with.

Old 05-11-2015, 11:58 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think im going to go with the badlands 9000 and put on a synthetic rope eventually.

Old 05-12-2015, 05:23 AM
Winching
Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

nice warn, offer 350 and go from there?
Warn XD9000i winch

Old 05-12-2015, 06:44 AM
Super Moderator

Buying used be sure it works, mechanic at my one job did not and unknowingly bought a fried warn that was also full of water and muddy

I have yet to try my synthetic line

Old 05-12-2015, 06:53 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by TOM R
Buying used be sure it works, mechanic at my one job did not and unknowingly bought a fried warn that was also full of water and muddy
That's crazy. What kind of mechanic would buy a tool without making sure it works?

I have yet to try my synthetic line
I can do you one better, I have yet to buy synthetic line.
I still prefer wire rope.

Old 05-12-2015, 07:09 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
My point is if you know what you want you can find a good deal.
Things you should consider in a winch, things I WOULD NOT do without.
1. Synthetic Line compatible/external brake
2. Albright style waterproof contactor instead of multiple solenoids
3. Balance of low amp draw and fast line speed.
1. Definitely good even if you start out with wire rope, to give you the option later.
2. very worthwhile, but that's never broken the deal for me on a used winch. They can be easily retrofitted.
3. There are pros and cons to that. Of course, low amp draw is always good, but fast line speed is really personal preference and safety related.

Winching is dangerous enough, especially for someone new to it. A slower line speed gives you more reaction time if something starts to go wrong. Even after so many years with winches my favorite electric winch is my worm drive RE10000 which is quite slow.
Now, if you double the line with a ****** block that will halve the line speed, but most people don't do that.

There are really only a couple of situations where a fast line speed is needed, winch competitions (these people aren't new to winching) and if you off-road with groups in places that require a lot of winching. People get impatient if you're in the pack and have a slow winch. But I go mostly alone and am never in that much of a hurry.

My favorite winch, period, is my PTO (or hydraulic). They have 100% duty cycle and the speed is, for all practical purposes, infinitely adjustable.

Originally Posted by LRlax11
I think im going to go with the badlands 9000 and put on a synthetic rope eventually.
Whatever winch, don't forget some extra rigging. Tree strap, 2 0r 3 quality screw pin shackles (Van Beest {green pin}, Columbus McKinnon or the like). a ****** block or two and a line extension or two. Quality alloy chain can come in handy as well.

Last edited by antichrist; 05-12-2015 at 07:22 AM.
Old 05-12-2015, 10:04 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I've personally owned the LP8500 and have no complaints. It was a fine winch, but it was an entry level winch. I have also run the HF winches, Loud and slow, but get the job done. If I had to chose between the LP8500 and the Badlands - I'd go with the badlands. Don't expect either to be waterproof.

I have a Talon series 12.5iSR for mine because I WANT the speed and am willing to pay for it. When you see one in action, you see where the $ goes, but if you're really only going to use it once or twice a year... there's really not much need to spend the $.

Dave

Old 05-12-2015, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

The wire cable works fine but I found that loosing 50# from the center of my front end makes the vehicle handle better on road

I did save my cable as I don't know I trust rope that sets in the sun 365 days a year

Quick Reply: Badlands vs. Superwinch