Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

Discovery Seat Position For Tall People

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2019, 05:14 PM
Mudding
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Discovery Seat Position For Tall People

Hello to everyone else out there with a Disco 1 (or 2, assuming its roughly the same). Anyone else else around 6' tall have an issue driving these? I currently have my seat all the way back and my driving foot is basically vertical when cruising at 80 kph, its very uncomfortable. Also, anyone else feel like the seat is too high? I cannot see stoplights when I stop at a reasonable distance, and the rearview mirror blocks half of my vision. I am maybe a bit weird because I sit up very straight and not laid back when I drive, but I feel like I have to chop and lower the seat brackets by an inch or 2 because its bugging me like crazy. Anyone else have tall people issues in these or is it just me?

The following users liked this post:
SadaJones (02-19-2022)
Old 06-13-2019, 07:09 PM
4wd High
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm 6 too and noticed I was losing feeling in my foot while driving ~45min at 60mph yesterday. I sit in a similar position, but I think I'm going to start experimenting with different positions.

I was starting to think that the position of the throttle pedal was high and pressure needed to compress the pedal was excessive, not sure if that's just my imagination.

Old 06-14-2019, 12:48 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by KoolKatKaleb
I'm 6 too and noticed I was losing feeling in my foot while driving ~45min at 60mph yesterday. I sit in a similar position, but I think I'm going to start experimenting with different positions.

I was starting to think that the position of the throttle pedal was high and pressure needed to compress the pedal was excessive, not sure if that's just my imagination.

Glad someone else finds this. I think I am going to move the seat bracket back 2" to give me a little more room and move the rearview mirror up 3" so that it doesnt give me a huge blindspot anymore.

The following users liked this post:
SadaJones (02-19-2022)
Old 09-05-2019, 02:20 AM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Same here with my 95 D1 5 spd the past 20 years not seeing overhead traffic lights above the roof line. Heck i'm only 5' 10 1/2" but feel taller driver's problems.Thinking it bwas just me? British people must be short people vs us Americans.
Recently picked up (last weekend) at Pick-n-Pulls 50% off Labor day a pair of clean condition and color cloth front seats with bases off a 94 D1 to install in the 95 of tan leather seats and interior.
Planned on cutting down and reweld the driver's seat frame thinking 1" to 1 1/2"the maximum I can lower as the curve of the seat frame will become an issue. Thinking of removing an extra 1/4" from the frame vs front for better front of seat support. I'll lose clearance for the CD player but never use it anyway. Another LR garage shelf item. .....~~=o&o>......

Old 09-05-2019, 02:33 AM
Mudding
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by WeekendWarriors87
I think I am going to move the seat bracket back 2" to give me a little more room and move the rearview mirror up 3" so that it doesnt give me a huge blindspot anymore.
The seat mounting locations are at the frame support wings two locations also supporting the body hence your opening a can of worms relocating the frame farther back.
Adding metal strips bolted down with welded studs sticking up a couple inches rearwards is one solution, did it to a BMW for my 6'4" tall son.
Removing the seat frame from the seat is a PITA as it takes an odd sized Torx to unbolt the screws. Ended up taking a 3/8" drive T45 Torx, Dremel with cutoff wheel cutting the Torx valleys deeper plus grinding the peaks lower to tightly fit those odd ball sized Torx bolts. Damn odd balled size Torx the British used. They used Loctite so another battle breaking them loose, a heads up what I have found......~~=o&o>.......

Old 09-05-2019, 04:09 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

Originally Posted by KoolKatKaleb
I'm 6 too and noticed I was losing feeling in my foot while driving ~45min at 60mph yesterday.
Remove your wallet from your back pockets when driving. It can pinch nerves making your leg and/or foot numb.

Old 09-05-2019, 08:16 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by BierNut
The seat mounting locations are at the frame support wings two locations also supporting the body hence your opening a can of worms relocating the frame farther back.
Adding metal strips bolted down with welded studs sticking up a couple inches rearwards is one solution, did it to a BMW for my 6'4" tall son.
Removing the seat frame from the seat is a PITA as it takes an odd sized Torx to unbolt the screws. Ended up taking a 3/8" drive T45 Torx, Dremel with cutoff wheel cutting the Torx valleys deeper plus grinding the peaks lower to tightly fit those odd ball sized Torx bolts. Damn odd balled size Torx the British used. They used Loctite so another battle breaking them loose, a heads up what I have found......~~=o&o>.......
thanks for the input, didnt know that the seat supports were structural. I will probably add some rails to the top of them in order to shift the seat back. I will try to remember to report back in the winter with what I come up with.