Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Seat repair sources?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 06:35 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Seat repair sources?

So I want to fix the driver's seat hole which apparently plagues every cloth Disco seat.

I haven't dug too deeply, but it appears that the bottom seat cushion and upholstery will come off the seat as a unit. I was tempted to pick up some leather/vinyl seat bottoms from the salvage yard this weekend, but that's a little too mix-n-match for me.

I'm use to the BMW world which has resources like realoem.com which would allow me to look up the part numbers for very specific components, so I can then source the parts.

I haven't found this kind of resource for Land Rover yet. So does anyone know who would sell the upholstery and cushion (together or separate). I admit that the problem my seat has is more common on the cloth interiors, since I haven't seen a leather/vinyl seat with the same hole.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:44 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm not familiar with the issue you're describing, but I would think that any upholstery shop could do it easily.

The following users liked this post:
SinisterMoose (06-08-2015)
Old 06-08-2015, 08:58 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by OEMPartHaus.com
I'm not familiar with the issue you're describing, but I would think that any upholstery shop could do it easily.
While shopping for the Disco, I looked at three with the cloth interior. All three, including the one I bought, had holes worn in the outboard bolster on the bottom. Apparently it's a very heavily worn area, getting in and out of the seat.

I'll have to snap a pic (once it's daylight).

Unfortunately there are no upholstery shops in a 75 mile radius. I've been having a difficult time trying to find a shop to redo the sport seats in my 535i, and simply install the tension straps and new top on my wife's 328i.

I'm considering some different seats anyway. I would like to be about 3 inches further away from the steering wheel. I'm 6'4" tall and the Disco doesn't feel as crowded as my wife's old Corolla did, but it still feels a little cramped.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:05 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Man, you really are out there.
I remember playing ball out towards where you are in Pound, VA and Lebanon, VA.
I guess Lexington and Knoxville are your best shots at finding a place familiar with Rovers.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:30 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by OEMPartHaus.com
Man, you really are out there.
I remember playing ball out towards where you are in Pound, VA and Lebanon, VA.
I guess Lexington and Knoxville are your best shots at finding a place familiar with Rovers.
Lexington had a Jag/Rover Dealership briefly, and there are couple of auto upholstery shops, but the cost is roughly half what I paid for the Disco.

I wish ExmoorTrim did a complete Disco 2 retrim kit. I would just order from them, pay through the nose for shipping and do it myself.

There's a Rover dealer in Knoxville, but again, cost is an issue.

My dad's side of the family was from Eastern Kentucky, and I've been to Pound, Norton and Wise quite often. Corbin has the advantage of being about half way between Knoxville and Lexington, but it's also a disadvantage.

Old 06-09-2015, 02:10 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

If the material itself is ripped, I do not think you can find a replacement that matches.

I would try and buy a passenger seat bottom in the same material and install that. They are interchangeable.