Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

Discovery V8 engine swap to Turbo 4Inline engine out of Evoque?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 02:10 PM
JEL
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Discovery V8 engine swap to Turbo 4Inline engine out of Evoque?

Has anyone taken out the V8 of a Discovery or Freelander and installed a Turbo 4 Cylinder from an Evoque , soooo many Landrover V8's in beautiful shape going into the Crusher's these days because owner's don't want to pay the Dealerships new engine costs, and upward spiralling gas costs, who can blame them, old Discovery + low miles Turbo MPG friendly LR engine could be a win win, for everybody, anything is better than seeing a well built piece of machinery going into a crusher, if you've done this swap, I would love to try it,and any and all experiences with this will be gratefully accepted, Thank You All, JEL

Old 02-25-2018, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

you would play hell getting that to work

Old 02-25-2018, 03:25 PM
JEL
4th Gear

Thank You ArmyRover. !!! much appreciated, over the years I've come to wish( and I know that's what it is) that car manufacturers would be proactive in the continuation of their cars, ie., designing them for extra uses, different engines, different transmissions, and ease of swapping out these, to change the vehicle up and increase Car Make loyalty and enjoyment, New car sales would still be there as Dad passes his car down to Jr. and buys a new one because the Car maker was good to him, heck, down to grandkid and everybody's driving a Land Rover in the family, and sideways as the family grows, the whole industry from Mercedes to Cadillac to Nissan is just about sell new, dealerships fleece their customers until car is too financially old to repair, crush the car, sell customer new, new , new, and repeat same easy money cycle, not good at all, all the energy, metal, plastics man hours, commitment to build a car platform, thousands, even tens of thousands, and we are crushing them!!! Hello, for $100 !! Hello Again! "Take the V8 out, put the Turbo 4 Banger in" , anyway ArmyRover that's how I see it, but I can be wrong !,LOL, hope I gave you a smile and Thanks so much for your thoughts, great to get on this site and learn new Land Rover things, always admired them, want to try them, Cheers, Jim

Old 02-25-2018, 03:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

Sadly, it's a consumer economy, which means it doesn't support itself if anything is built to last beyond a predetermined lifespan. Engineering used to be based on over-build, to make up for unforseen weaknesses. And having the ability to mix and match powertrain parts was common bc it made for economical manufacturing. Now computers can show how to build something with the minimum amount of material, to last a certain amount of time before failure. And don't think a manufacturer will put an ounce more material if it's not needed!

I like the way you're thinking, but without the resources and time, it's counterproductive to do the swap you've suggested. Every once in a while, someone will do a cool swap like an LS or diesel in one of these older trucks, but they are the exception, not the rule. The only thing that is feasible for most of us is a rebuild of the existing or same type of engine that came with it.

Old 02-25-2018, 05:26 PM
JEL
4th Gear
Smile Discovery V8 to Turbo 4

Thanks wjsj69, nice to hear from you, and yes, I do accept the reality I've seen and had thrust upon me, but unfortunately I've also lived through a time of improving and building better,,didn't matter which car company you chose, you got a good car, good resale too, I've watched the Japanese auto makers start out not only small, but also poorly, we wouldn't buy them because the engineering wasn't there, and the body's rusted prematurely, then they used their God given brains and improved their engineering, I was working on all vehicles at this time (that's my problem), steadily their reliability went up, and affordability stayed attractive, then as motors and transmissions improved, they strove for better body's, then interior's and paint, then fit and finish, Remember this isn't rocket science, hard work, pride, ya, rocket science no, then Honda came right behind Toyota constantly improving, and they surpassed ALL car maker's in a relatively short time span for what they did, steadily using our brains will do that !LOL, by the early 80's, Toyota and Honda were winning all the Consumer Test's and Awards, I couldn't believe it, early 60's okay cars, but not the best choice, 70's big improvement's every year, steadily upward, other car maker's steadily crappier, 80's Toyota and Honda shared back and forth #1 and #2, didn't matter which one you picked you got a good car, good everything on them, and good resale too, sound familiar, no my friends Car Company's around the world designed a new car, dealer based "get all the customer's income" after you sell them a new car, that will wear out really well ( I mean really good) at 150,000ish, if they come to us we've hit the mother load for repair money, if not, they'll have to crush it and we've got them back for another "get their income cycle", wishing won't fix this, EVERYBODY needs to use their God given brains, like the Toyota and Honda employee's, and pick the best product per $, tell the car companies that suck, You Suck!, every year you hose me, and You Suck!, Hey LandRover, start making Adaptor Plates for engine and transmission change outs, start putting on Quick-connect couplings for fluids also for said changeouts, and you know those wires that are colour coded engineering department? Yes they will say, well put easy quick connects on those too you Bozo's, this isn't Rocket Science, Back in the 60's, thousands of people chose to make smarter choices, didn't even have a better idea than anybody else, but kept using their brain to make better choices, and they constantly grew better, and the other group of people chose not to use their brains and grew steadily worse, so in the end, they swapped positions, by the singular, (and easy) choice of good or bad. I'll tell LandRover, you guys need to change, You Suck!, the whole world is recycling except the car makers, including Landrover, start using your "money collecting" abilities and channel your brains for improvement, I'll repair my LandRover and you can lose my brand new sale, You Suck! and it may fall on deaf ears, but the car industry needs to hear it, we the people need to say it, and if nothing else, it actually feels truthful and honest !, Thank you, wjsj69,Cheers!

The following users liked this post:
Stewxjs (05-09-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 08:10 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 99 Likes on 72 Posts

I like the way you think! That's a novel idea for the OM's to make upgrade kits for their older models. Unfortunately, that would be like cutting off their collective noses, despite their collective corporate faces. They need to sell new models to survive. Not to mention liability for adding more power to old tech which wasn't originally designed for it. Power bands, torque curves, weight differences, etc. would not match up.

Cummins has the right idea with their new 4 and 6 cyl. engines, made to be installed in almost anything you want to put them in. But, again, you need to have the resources to make it happen, as far as adapting them to your project. Hopefully the aftermarket will jump on board, and make kits for them to be easily installed in different applications. There are tons of us who want diesels for their economy and high torque for our heavy ute's. But I certainly don't have the time or $ to do it on my own. if available, I'd choose a pre-engineered swap for my Disco, over anything on the market today. (It used to be easy like dropping a sbc in a CJ.) And this platform is just screaming for someone to do it! All we really need are adapters, mounts and some plug and play ecm adapters so our existing electrics all still work. And, oh yeah, then some of us need a work-around for our local emissions laws too. You can't put a newer, cleaner, more efficient engine in an older vehicle where I live; against the LAW! Makes sense doesn't it?!?

Old 02-25-2018, 09:57 PM
JEL
4th Gear
Thumbs up

Ya makes total sense no matter what type or make of vehicle you drive, Europe especially Germany going totally electric all over Europe and especially India and China, and have factories being built and producing, Mercedes, BMW, Audi, and Volkswagons already, gas will still be around for quite awhile but diesels in India, China and Europe will phase out to electric pretty quick, 3 billion people making fossil fuel pollution, not good for the old planet, that's why Germany's all-in for electric, they know where this is all going, I'm going to be happy if I can just get Landrover to get a mitt and get in the game before Landrover owners are all driving cramped and unmajestic pip-squick little Evoque's where you pay twice as much as your Real Landrover, oh about $100,000 large and get less than half the vehicle, pityfull, I'll have to email them, between their 7-course luncheon and express my less than appreciative thoughts! LOL, Thanks wjsj69.