Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

harbor freight Badlands winch review

Old 08-31-2013, 09:30 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

I just found some invaluable information on the 'Ole interweb that may help prolong our budget Badland winches.

Seems like the weak point is the lack of or minimal use of high quality grease. Grease that not only provides moisture repelling properties, but that can stand up to high temperatures.

See for yourself. If you want to go a step further, buy some of that new magical waterproofing spray (that's safe for electronics), and douche all the electrics. Plus, dab dielectric grease on the connectors.

http://forum.ih8mud.com/winching-rec...ing-winch.html

Last edited by coors; 08-31-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts

yup Iz gots the hf winch click the link in my signature there are pics

I have had it submerged several times at this point, loud, slow but works well

seems there is too much line on the spool and it can suck to get too much in one spot winching out of water half way up the door

Last edited by TOM R; 08-31-2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

good find on the ih8mud, coors. if your goal was to make me question my grease, dismount the winch, take all the gears out and re-grease with green marine crap..........it worked.

thanks tom r, glad to here it is holding up.

Attached Thumbnails harbor freight Badlands winch review-dsc_7351.jpg   harbor freight Badlands winch review-dsc_7352.jpg  
Old 09-02-2013, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah it will be a while before I take mi e off and apart

Old 09-02-2013, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

on mine there was alot of grease on the outer gear set. it got pretty scarce going toward the inner gears. But i've only used it a couple of times, the grease prolly would distribute itself with use.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:56 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Got mine installed last night; all wired up and everything works as it should. Still have some minor wire maintenance, just to make sure things are nice and secure out of the way of danger. Damn! That ARB was a bit^h to drill through!

Prior to installing I tore the winch down to inspect the internals for lubrication. Beleive it or not it was well lubed. Not sure of the quality or lube grade so, I cleaned all the factory lube out. I had some leftover "Lucas Red 'N Tacky Grease" from a previos job and thought it should do the trick. It's a smooth, tacky, red, lithium complex grease fortified with rust inhibitors and oxidation inhibitors. This product has good water resistance and washout properties as well as enhanced mechanical stability and storage life.

I smothered the hell out of inside of it. I went a step further and smothered all the electrical connections, internally at the motor, and externally at the terminals w/ di-electric grease. Should be good to go. My plan in the future, is to remove the heavy as$ cable and replace w/ synthetic rope.

Name:  photo3_zps18d847ef.jpg
Views: 1603
Size:  103.7 KB

Name:  image5_zps67c8f0d5.jpeg
Views: 1629
Size:  121.3 KB

Name:  image6_zpsb3a5f2df.jpeg
Views: 1616
Size:  128.9 KB

Old 09-05-2013, 07:42 AM
Super Moderator

coors, looks good. the clean look of the arb bumper/ mount set up makes me a bit jealous..
i may have to give up on my ghetto fab and bite the bullet.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator

I was reading a thread here or another rover site on the syn rope and there was talk of only being able to use it on some winches, reasoning is certain winches use the spool drum as the brake and it can get hot comprimising the strength of the syn rope,the cable actually works as a heat sink, imo this would only matter if you are rock climbing and using the winch constant not in say my case where winch is for recovery cause I am stuck in a puddle

Old 09-05-2013, 07:58 AM
Super Moderator

^ interesting. I'm with you on the amount of use. maybe 20x a year, doubt that is enough to melt any rope. I have never gone the syn rope route, but would like to trim some fat. I will do some research if so, thanks.

Old 09-05-2013, 11:55 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 224 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by coors
Got mine installed last night; all wired up and everything works as it should. Still have some minor wire maintenance, just to make sure things are nice and secure out of the way of danger. Damn! That ARB was a bit^h to drill through!

Prior to installing I tore the winch down to inspect the internals for lubrication. Beleive it or not it was well lubed. Not sure of the quality or lube grade so, I cleaned all the factory lube out. I had some leftover "Lucas Red 'N Tacky Grease" from a previos job and thought it should do the trick. It's a smooth, tacky, red, lithium complex grease fortified with rust inhibitors and oxidation inhibitors. This product has good water resistance and washout properties as well as enhanced mechanical stability and storage life.

I smothered the hell out of inside of it. I went a step further and smothered all the electrical connections, internally at the motor, and externally at the terminals w/ di-electric grease. Should be good to go. My plan in the future, is to remove the heavy as$ cable and replace w/ synthetic rope.

Why did you have to drill your bumper?

DUSTY1, I like your bumper. Looks clean. And easy access to the freespool lever.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: harbor freight Badlands winch review