Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

harbor freight Badlands winch review

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2013, 12:04 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by fishEH
Why did you have to drill your bumper?

DUSTY1, I like your bumper. Looks clean. And easy access to the freespool lever.
I needed new holes for the fair lead. I mounted the winch to the bumper plate with grade 8 hardware then mounted the fair lead by drilling two holes in the front bumper. I opted not to pull the rollers and drill the fair lead housing.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:07 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by TOM R
I was reading a thread here or another rover site on the syn rope and there was talk of only being able to use it on some winches, reasoning is certain winches use the spool drum as the brake and it can get hot comprimising the strength of the syn rope,the cable actually works as a heat sink, imo this would only matter if you are rock climbing and using the winch constant not in say my case where winch is for recovery cause I am stuck in a puddle
My use is similar to you. Haha. Winching out of a puddle.

Interesting though. I'll have to read up on how the badlands brake assist functions.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

thanks fish, it works, just nothing fancy pants. now, if i can just get better at pipe bending, i'll whip up a guard.
coors, prolly good idea to poke holes in the bumper and not remove the rollers. I fiddled with removing them because i was going to paint the frame. it took my half witted self too long, so I left well enough alone.

Last edited by dusty1; 09-05-2013 at 12:59 PM. Reason: rollers
Old 09-05-2013, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 226 Likes on 196 Posts
Old 09-05-2013, 11:55 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I have read the heat on a winch designed for steel cable with an internal brake really only becomes an issue when powering out. When doing so you are powering the spool against the internal load brake which creates heat. If you freespool out and power in you should have no heat issues. In addition most synthetic lines come with an additional heat shield that covers the first wrap around the drum to combat the heat issue.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:12 AM
Super Moderator

I am no expert just saying there was a discussion on it and the issue of heat mentioned, only time I could see powering the winch out is rocks? The line from the one place they mentioned is only like $130 for 50' of 14,500 lb line with spool heat sheathing

Old 09-07-2013, 10:02 PM
Pro Wrench

So after driving around for a few says with the winch I noticed the Medium Duty Terrafirma's up front have sagged considerably. The added weight of the winch and existing ARB bumper have weakened them. Further, the ride is horrible. I just order a set of TF heavy duty coils. Keeping the medium coils in the rear.

Old 09-07-2013, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

So have you hit any bumps in the road at highway speed? Mine vibrates whole front end was real bad before springs and shocks

Old 09-08-2013, 06:08 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by TOM R
So have you hit any bumps in the road at highway speed? Mine vibrates whole front end was real bad before springs and shocks
No vibes at highway speeds, going over bumps, etc. it just feels like a tank is sitting on my hood and the springs are fully compressed. The truck just feels "heavy" and the ride is real rough.

Ordered a set of HD's last night

Old 09-08-2013, 07:17 AM
Super Moderator

I have HD ome with bilstiens, when I first added the winch stock everything I hit a seam in the road at like 55 MPH baad death wobble, it is mostly gone tiresvwear perfect but need to get time to replace all bushings and check swivel pin preload

Quick Reply: harbor freight Badlands winch review