Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

OME lift

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008 | 05:48 PM
5th Gear
Default RE: OME lift

Thanks Mike. CanI just do the springs to lift the vehicle? If yes should I go with the 751 frt & 762 or 763 rears.

Old 08-05-2008 | 09:17 AM
Administrator

If you are going to bumper,a wich and sliders, go with the 751's and the 762's. The 763 are pretty rough riding.

Old 08-07-2008 | 11:43 AM
5th Gear

Hi mike
I went and picked upmy shocks and springs. I was trying to install the rears last night and after removing the shocks and removing the bolts that hold the springs to the axles, i lowered the axle as far as I could but the springs did not release. It did not seem as i would have enough remove to take the springs out. Do you think I'll need a spring compressor or am I missing something. I look forward to your input or anyones suggestions.

Old 08-13-2008 | 07:31 PM
Three Wheeling

So are you guys saying that 3" is pretty much the max lift anyone is running? I am currently debating between a disco or a jeep grand cherokee, but I am kinda wanting more than 3". I am going to want at least 33" tires if not 35". What do youguys think?

Old 08-14-2008 | 08:14 AM
Administrator

Why are you shopping for a vehicle based on the lift and not it's ability?????????????????????
A D2 will far out perform a Cheroke with any height lift. It sounds as if you have very little 4 wheel experience, that being the case you might want to do alot more research prior to buying.

Old 08-15-2008 | 03:29 PM
Rock Crawling

You might wanna think about buying something cheaper to be your first off road vehicle as well. If you've never driven off road extensively, your first rig is gonna get some serious dings and scratches. I personally have owned 2 4WD s-10's in the past, and learned alot from driving those off road. Depending on where you live, alot of times you can go the same places as the guys running the crazy tall lifts, you just have to take a different line than them.

Old 08-17-2008 | 07:31 PM
Drifting

I think Mike is right, you should study what you get. It may depend on the type of trails your are going to be riding. I am on the beach, but at lot of these guys have rocky, hilly terrain, and I believe that any LR is the way to go in that situation. I have an OME lift, it gave me about 3" at the rockers and I run 235-85-16 and I never think about bigger tires. However, I don't really like "mudding", I like to slow it down and climb over things. My 93 SWB is a climbing fool and my drivetrain is still stock. I can only imagine what it will do with 411's and locking diff.

Old 09-03-2008 | 11:49 AM
Winching

I'm from south Florida and we mostly mud. In my 4x4 club there are Really modified jeeps, trucks, suvs. ect. I am the only land rover. I out perform nearly everyone in my OPEN disco just with 33" muds. Of course the locked jeep with 52" tractor tires has me beat in the mud. But all the other guys running 6" lifts with 35s, even 37s Awlays end up getting stuck in spots where I ease right through. I'm not saying I never get stuck. We all do. But I can honestly say my disco with a 3" lift and 33" muds with Open diffs & tcase can out perform most, if not all, jeeps with a 6" lift and 35s.. I'm not just blabbing either, This happens at least once a month.

However, It also depends on driver skill. Most of the guys just floor it and think that's all they have to do. I actually pay attention to the ruts/terrain and keep in mind what tires are getting traction and how I need to turn the wheel. I would rather wheel in my disco then anyones lifted jeep Anyday...

Old 09-15-2008 | 10:24 PM
Three Wheeling

Ok so I guess I kind of worded that wrong and got blasted for it. I am not choosing between the jeep and the land rover because of looks. As a mechanic I know the difference between the jeep and the LR. The land rover is much more capable and purpose built, however the jeep is much easier and cheaper to fix. Not to mention the reputation Land rovers have of being "unreliable". So I am not choosing vehicle based on lift. I am just being realistic knowing that i personally like the taller look. Sorry to offend so many people.

But back to my question.....Is there a larger lift than the 3"?

Ohh and I am kind of hi-jacking this thread, but after numerous attempts I have realized that i am unable to post a thread.

Old 09-16-2008 | 07:23 AM
TReK

You can get a 6" lift from
http://www.scorpionracing.co.uk/
I would call to get the best info, USA country code is (011) then 0044-020-8211-4888.

Quick Reply: OME lift