Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

Performance intake 99 Disco II

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 07:09 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance intake 99 Disco II

Does anyone have any clue where to get a performance intake for a '99 Disco II? I think I found the end of the Internet searching for one.

Old 02-08-2007, 09:15 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts
Default RE: Performance intake 99 Disco II

There really aren't any other then some cold air intakes and a couple of snorkles. What exactly are you wanting or expecting from such a modification?
Mike

Old 02-12-2007, 02:39 PM
4wd High

im just looking to get her to breathe easier...exhaust is next on my list of things to help air flow better

Old 02-13-2007, 10:36 AM
Administrator

I would suggest that you start saving your money for head gaskets and when you have them done, have a machine shop open up the heads for better flow.
You could throw a snorkle on your truck and at least bring in little more cooler air. Whatever you do, do not install a K&N air filter, it will kill your MAF.
As for the exhaust, you can spend alot of money for a Borla but you will only get a couple of extra horse power.
What is the mileage on your truck, if you are over 100,000 miles replace your 4O2 sensors to regain some lost power.
Then do a good engine flush, and induction cleaning and a t/body cleaning, this will help with the power.
By the way, are you still running the original plug wires?
Mike

Old 02-13-2007, 08:30 PM
4wd High

The only problem that im having with the gaskets is a little oil leaking around the...what i think may be the head gasket. Sry ive never been a gear head, but what do they need to do to open up the heads? As for the exhaust, i dont plan on spending alot for a Borla, but i do plan on running duel pipes out the back to help her breathe a little easier, maybe just throwing on some decent Flowmasters for a good deep sound. And what do they need to do to flush the engine and clean the induction and tbody...how much would that cost? and as for the plug wires, im not exactly sure, i know im at least the 3rd owner including the dealer, so i am probably still using the same plug wires. i know the plugs and wires could use a change, but recently ive had to fix the cat on her and replace the rear air bags for the suspension...no money for the plugs yet....

Old 02-13-2007, 10:43 PM
Administrator

If you want to talk about some of your questions, send me your tele number and a good time to call.
Mike

Old 03-01-2007, 09:57 PM
Overlanding

For opening up the heads they need to port them. Meaning they machine they head ports and make them, for lack of a better word, "Wider." This allows more air into the engine due to the wider ports. Oviously more air means more power. It is a pretty extensive and expensive job. And if you do something like that you will need to do the exhaust as well. Getting a lot of air in is worthless unless you can get that air out.

Old 03-02-2007, 01:18 AM
Overlanding

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

.... Whatever you do, do not install a K&N air filter, it will kill your MAF....

Mike
Does this apply only to K&N or are all "performance" filters included?

After reading that, I switched back to my stock setup. (but I miss the extra mpg)

I guess a better question would be, what would you do?

And just a tip for everyone who doesn't already know (I just found out), you can use google to search the forums for keywords like this:

your keywords site:landroverforums.com

This may be old news to some of you.. but I found answers to many questions using this.

Old 03-02-2007, 11:42 AM
Administrator

Any air filter that use oil on them will cause the MAF to fail and it is not worth the risk of having to buy a new MAF when you consider there is no noticable change in power or MPG using a K&N type filter.
Mike