Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

Upcomming Project: My biggest Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 12:15 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Smile Upcomming Project: My biggest Challenge

I have not started this project YET, but I feel like discussing it now so bare with me. Understand that my mind is made up.

The one thing my beloved 2004 Disco SE is missing is the ACE system. In my opinion the ACE system is one MAJOR factor that distinguishes the Discovery from most other sport utility vehicles. Even brand new SUV"s are lacking of some of the innovations added to the D2 (even more so with the D3 & D4 models). Most new SUV"s still struggle to handle around corners, lack CDL's and are just barely incorporating air suspension. Grant we all have our own personal preferences in regards to our vehicles and to each his own. But I want the ACE system installed on my Disco!

I have 2 options to consider at the moment.
1.) Trade my D2 for another D2 with the ACE system already installed (take the burden off someone elses hands).
2.) Buy all the individual components of the ACE system (new and used) and install them on my Disco
3.) Purchase a junk D2 with the ACE system on board, strip it down and install it on my Disco.

I dont see anyone willing to trade me their ACE Disco and I'm not to keen on giving up my Trail 1 Edition with Black leather interior.

I've heard that it would be easier to lift up the entire frame from the chassis to make the installation of the ACE much easier, but that would be extremely expensive (I believe). So I may try and install everything the hard way with some help from fellow Rover enthusiasts. My goal is to slowly invest in all the components of the ACE system (some used and some new) and once I have all the parts needed and the fluids then start the project.

Problems with the ACE from what I gather is the noise and added maintenance of the vehicle. Regarding the noise I may have a solution:

Carefully remove the seats and carpeting and apply spray on rubber insulating (sound proofing/reducing) material on the entire floor and under the dash behind the pedals. Reinstall everything. Then add additional layer of this material to the bulkhead in the engine bay. Also I may look into a custom crafted shell that can enclose the ACE pump to better insulate the noises. To help reduce wear and corrosion on the underbody components of the ACE system I will apply a wax undercoating yearly. Also want to look into the possibility of adding a custom fit boot to the hydraulic components of the ACE located near the wheels. If possible this would reduce how much dirt and salt build up near the parts. Depending on how much it cost for the tubing I would just buy it new, but I hope to by the other major components of the system used. Once installed just flush the ACE system yearly with new fluid and everything should be just fine. I hope

That is my plan, my upcoming project (within the next 2 years) and my hope. I'm also hoping to find someone from the forum who may be willing to help me with the labor and install of the system, I would certainly pay them for their time ad I would be willing to travel out of state.

Just food for thought and again I just wanted to open up about a upcoming project.

Thanks for reading and any tips or info or parts would be appreciated

Old 01-22-2013, 05:12 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Do you do that many road miles that you can justify the costs? my theory is if you can afford the gas to put that many miles on your discovery then you can afford to just buy a new discovery with ACE installed and save yourself the headache

Old 01-22-2013, 07:03 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Some technical issues as well, like mounting the accelerometers in the same exact spot and orientation as factory (otherwise they won't provide the same exact inputs), and purchase of a scanner/programmer that can program all the associated modules, or paying dealer to do the same and de-bug your work. You'ld want to take the path of stripping a known working vehicle yourself, so that you become familiar with all the parts routing and any body or chassis components that have to be removed to get at the parts. Whilst fabricating this machine the royal Rover builders used assembly lines, so they had 100% access to every area before something else covered it up.

If you change the physical location of parts, you run the risk of changing the physical properties that govern the stored program that operates them.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:01 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Dude, seriously? I don't mean to offend, but after all the problems you had fixing your brakes are you sure you are ready to take this on? The system is built and installed in such a manner that even seasoned veterans have devised shortcuts just to maintain and exisiting system rather than replace the parts. Most notably, cutting and coupling lines with compression fittings to deal with leaks at the control valve rather than replacing the entire pipe. Has anyone heard of someone actually pulling this off? I'd like to hear how it went from anyone who did.

I'd say if you need an ACE equipped vehicle, then buy one.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:52 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I applaud the ambition.

I have ACE in my Disco and I absolutely love it. Even with the added height of lifted suspension and the CG shift of installing a roof rack I still corner flatter than most of the cars that drive around in my town. That being said...

There is absolutely NO way I would try to tackle installing the system on a non-ACE vehicle. NO WAY. There's a lot to it, and so much of it I don't even know. And it would require me tearing apart the whole damn truck just to have the system. I wouldn't do it. But that's me.

TRIAR, I don't mean to offend or shoot you down here. I think you're a heckuva nice guy and you are keen on learning, but this is a big job. If I were in your shoes, I'd throw some HD springs (not necessarily lift springs) and some OME shocks under it and call it a day. But again, that's me.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:42 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Forget it. At best it will cost you a ton of money and time. At worst you'll get something wrong and find yourself upside down in a ditch. If you want ACE buy an ACE equipped DII.
The best option is just know your vehicle, know it's limits and drive it within those limits.

Old 01-24-2013, 02:22 PM
TReK

Sihhhhhh you think anyone would consider trading their ACE equipped disco for my Trail 1 Edition Disco? and did LR even fit the ACE to the 2004 model?

Old 01-24-2013, 04:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Unless you're really not happy with your Trail 1 Edition I don't see why you should change. Is the body roll in it horrendous? Like I said, put heavier duty springs and shocks under it and call it good. I'll bet it'd corner flatter and ride better and wouldn't cost you anywhere near as much as the ACE system and install would. And you wouldn't have to part with what I think is actually a really nice example of the DII.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:47 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If I was you I'd go the new spring route. I've wished a few times I had ACE on one of my discos. What finally brings me back to terms with not having it is when I see threads about peoples problems with it, and it reminds me how lucky I am to have one less thing to worry about breaking on my rovers.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:54 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by wreckdiver1321
Unless you're really not happy with your Trail 1 Edition I don't see why you should change. Is the body roll in it horrendous? Like I said, put heavier duty springs and shocks under it and call it good. I'll bet it'd corner flatter and ride better and wouldn't cost you anywhere near as much as the ACE system and install would. And you wouldn't have to part with what I think is actually a really nice example of the DII.
My 04 trail 1 edition Disco is amazing! I love it to death and there is no known issues with the suspension either. No issues with cornering, in fact she handles quite well around tight corners considering she does not have the ACE. Honestly its just a personal preference of mine to have the ACE. In my opinion Land Rover should have fitted the ACE system to each and every DII ever made with exception to the S models (dont even get me started on the S model Disco! ). Also would not mind having an HSE trim! But ultimately its just that ACE system that I long for. Id take that before I took a suspension lift and any off-road mods to my Disco. Its a innovation in technology that is also useful off-road and I want it.

If someone has the garage space, the tools and the time to help me fit an ACE system on my Disco, I will pay them a reasonable sum and I will help with the labor and I will travel! Im dead serious about it. Either find someone to trade up their ACE fitted 04 Disco or I install the system on my Disco and be happy ever after.

Quick Reply: Upcomming Project: My biggest Challenge