Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

whinch advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 04:01 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Go look at the new line of winches that Atlantic British is carring and get 8000 pounds and above.

Old 08-23-2011, 05:32 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the help!
I think I'll hold off on a winch, I have a 20,000 lbs tow strap and my dad has a range rover. So hopefully i don't do something too stupid....
Thanks again for all the info!

Old 08-23-2011, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

The sales pitch would combine impending event and alternate choice close: Mom, this 2K winch is nice, but you will probably still have to come get me and pay someone to pull me out. Or put another way, how many times do you need to get stuck beyond capacity of the 2K before we equal the price of the bigger winch?

And Collin, if making a written request to Mom and Dad, be sure to use "winch" instead of "wench".

Old 08-23-2011, 09:18 AM
Baja
Received 51 Likes on 44 Posts

Check out the TDS line here: http://kingonewinch.com/index.aspx
They are made in China, but are reputedly better quality, and cheaper, than many of the more popular winches.
I don't know who sells them in the US.

Old 09-03-2011, 04:22 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What other kind of recovery equipment do you already have or plan to acquire?

A winch by itself is not the most useful piece of equipment. Do you have a kinetic recovery strap/rope? Any rated shackles? A tree-saver? A shovel in the Land Rover? A tire repair kit? An air compressor? A jack to change a tire? If you had a winch, what would you hook it to?

Personally, I would rather have good versions of everything I just mentioned and a Hi-Lift jack. The Hi-lift will "winch" up to 7000 pounds. With a pulley-block, up to 14,000, but it doesn't go very far or very fast. Neither would a 2000 pound winch, but you can also double the capacity of the winch with a pulley block. Either way, you will need dependable rigging and an intelligent understanding of how to perform complex recovery operations safely, especially since you're kind of trying to do it the McGyver way by improvising with totally inadaquate equipment.

Old 09-03-2011, 04:24 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh yeah, how are you going to mount the winch?

Old 09-03-2011, 05:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by nevada ben
Personally, I would rather have good versions of everything I just mentioned and a Hi-Lift jack. The Hi-lift will "winch" up to 7000 pounds. With a pulley-block, up to 14,000, but it doesn't go very far or very fast. Neither would a 2000 pound winch, but you can also double the capacity of the winch with a pulley block.
Just curious - have you ever winched a stuck vehicle with a Hi-Lift jack?

Having done it myself, I'd never recommend to anyone that a Hi-Lift be their sole winching device. It's nice to have as a backup.

Old 09-03-2011, 05:49 PM
Baja

Originally Posted by nevada ben
What other kind of recovery equipment do you already have or plan to acquire?

A winch by itself is not the most useful piece of equipment. Do you have a kinetic recovery strap/rope? Any rated shackles? A tree-saver? A shovel in the Land Rover? A tire repair kit? An air compressor? A jack to change a tire? If you had a winch, what would you hook it to?
WTF?
Most of what you list has nothing to do with winching.

A kinetic strap should never be used with a winch.
"rated" is meaningless. Everything is "rated". It's what it's rated to that matters.
Yes, a tree saver strap should always be used.
A shovel can be useful, but also often isn't needed when winching.
A tire repair kit? I've never needed one when winching.
Also never needed an air compressor when winching.
Ditto jack to change a tire.
He lives in North GA, he'd probably hook it to a tree.

A winch with just a tree strap can be very useful. Add a couple of shackles and a ****** block or two and it easily becomes the most useful high dollar expenditure for an off-road vehicle.

For the OP. If you're on a budget, which it appears you are, and want to feel a bit more secure, then I suggest the model 3-20 of these:

http://www.wyeth-scott.com/index.asp
http://tinyurl.com/More-Power-Puller

That, a tree strap, a couple of shackles, some 3/8" grade 70 chain and a good static recovery strap will get you out of most stucks in your area. Unless you do something really stupid.
Later on they are a very worthwhile backup to a powered winch.

If you're traveling with others, which I strongly suggest, a good kinetic recovery strap would be a wise investment also. Don't forget to factor in recovery points. Probably JATE rings in the front and a receiver mount in the rear. AxeAngel has/had some really nice ones he was selling.

Of course the others things Ben mentioned are a good investment, they just have little to nothing to do with winching.

Last edited by antichrist; 09-03-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:46 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a shovel, 2 shackles, a 20000lbs tow strap, a tree saver. I never go off roading by my self. Not sure how a tire repair kit, an air compressor, a jack will help me on the trails. thanks for the input!

Last edited by collin Barrows; 09-03-2011 at 06:49 PM.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:52 PM
Baja

Originally Posted by collin Barrows
a 20000lbs tow strap
Is it a tow strap, kinetic recovery strap (****** strap) or winch extension strap (non-kinetic)?

Tow straps typically have hooks on the end and shouldn't be used for winching or dynamic recovery. i.e., never anywhere someone could be injured if they come unhooked.
Winch extension straps should never be used for dynamic recovery.

Quick Reply: whinch advice