Modifications Done some work to your Land Rover to make it better on road or off? Talk about it here!

Your Modded Land Rover here:

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 06:05 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by slanginsanjuan
interesting. im about to do diamond plate cut to size for the entire rear floor. i'm going to use a 3m or other panel adhesive. i don't have those mats anymore but you just gave me the idea to squeeze some soundproofing material between the two layers....thanks. another member told me to be careful no water gets up in between. is your floor in good condition?

we need to make sure we can access the "ports" for the seatbelts and seats. also, my rear cargo seat supports (leg) drops slightly below the level of the floor, and the fuel pump door.....so I may need a cutout there. i was going to paint it black but maybe i'll leave it.

Long Haul....your truck looks like it wants to leave the ground...badly.

I really like the HID's but I decided I'd rather not be noticed. I'm gonna go buy some dull eco bulbs or something.

Not sure I would go with ripping out all the seats and plating the entire floor with diamond plate but if you end up doing it then be sure to take lots of pictures of each step and upload them to a new thread on the forum for us to see. The whole point behind diamond plating (in my opinion) is to prevent damage to the carpets and factory flooring materials which in turn lead to rust. Obviously when you walk outside your footwear catches alot of oil, dirt, snow, salt and other corrosive substances, when you get into the vehicle some of the deposits fall off and over time build up and ruin your flooring and contribute to rusted floor panels. If fabricated and installed correctly the diamond plating should collect most of these deposits and should prevent them from seeping into the carpets. Vacuum the plating once a week to remove the collected deposits and you should have healthy floor panels and carpets for many many years to come. But of course a annual underbody undercoating will also play a vital role in the preservation of your floor panels. Plus your interior will have a unique more heavy duty look to it. I plan on making all the edges angled up an inch so to trap in any collected water and other deposits.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:33 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Removed the running boards, what a difference. After I get done fixing all of the little things broke on this recent purchase, the first mod will be 3" OME with 285/65 Guard Dogs.

Before and After: (anyone interested in buying some running boards?)

Attached Thumbnails Your Modded Land Rover here:-imag0116.jpg   Your Modded Land Rover here:-imag0134.jpg  
Old 10-22-2011, 09:15 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by far4cges
Removed the running boards, what a difference. After I get done fixing all of the little things broke on this recent purchase, the first mod will be 3" OME with 285/65 Guard Dogs.

Before and After: (anyone interested in buying some running boards?)
Thats quite a difference in clearance and appeal - removing those running boards! Always liked running boards but seeing the side by side comparison on the 03-04 Disco favors the removed running board look. Interesting custom front bumber you got there. Did you buy it like that or did you have it fabricated to your needs?

Back to the diamond plating here are some visuals of how it might look.

Name:  DiamondPlatefloormats5.jpg
Views: 206
Size:  35.7 KB
Name:  fr8351.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  26.5 KB
Name:  diamondplate.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  68.1 KB
Name:  DiamondPltCargomat.jpg
Views: 191
Size:  18.1 KB
Name:  ACC-421016.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  46.9 KB
Name:  DRFM8002OR4PCPOWDERCOATEDSHOWMAT.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  83.1 KB
Name:  fixup09.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  30.9 KB
The above picture gave me the idea of using diamond plating in the wheel wells (both underneath and on top) to reduce the typical rust issue that occurs.
Name:  3237_b.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  115.9 KB
The above pic gives a visual of what I'm looking to create for my 04 Discovery. However my plating will expand to cover the entire exposed carpet on both the drivers and passengers side. The edges will be riveted/angled upwards about an inch to trap in water and deposits. The plates in the pic are plain flat and will not trap in deposits so they are more for appearance than preventative maintenance. Just some ideas for the table.

Old 10-23-2011, 01:27 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, what's your front bumper on that thing???

Old 10-23-2011, 06:53 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have no interior. i have no padding. i have no carpets. i have no rear passenger seats. i have no floor...well I have most the floor but I already have holes. I have a stripped, ready to rust treat open floor. I am going to diamond plate the from the start of the passenger foot well (up) to the back door. im tempted to remove the back AC to get a wall to wall effect but that will be too much of a pain. i'm going to put some sort of insulation between the diamond plate and the floor metal to help a little with road noise. And I'm going to panel adhesive the whole thing down. It will have a couple plug hoes for water to escape and ideally could be washed out. Who rust-proofs their car every year...maybe I should have.

And I would Herculiner it if it didnt turn the diamonds to blobs or paint it black if I felt it would hold on the floor. I'll add a strip for the back bumper and the rear step maybe. Foot wells will be most likely bare black floor with mats.

Old 10-23-2011, 06:55 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it feels weird to cover up the carpeting with diamond plate. what if it gets wet somehow and starts to mold (smell) or disintegrate. did I miss how you planned on getting it to stick down?

Old 10-23-2011, 09:55 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nahtanoj
yeah, what's your front bumper on that thing???
The front bumper was built by a guy outside Louisville, Ky. He runs an add on Craigslist. Really solid bumper... I need to get a winch for it though.

Here is the link: land rover discovery 2 winch bumpers

Old 10-23-2011, 11:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+Oh why not, I'm bored and this thread needs to be put back on course YloDisco, I love your ride. I recently installed my Midland CB, I am planning on a write-up.

1998 Land Rover Discovery
Mods: (See Signature) I also just ordered some quick disconnects, recently installed my Firestick and Midland CB and am planning on picking up an ARB/winch in the next upcoming weeks. (Killer deal, though it's a D2 Arb, may be a little wide, but that's okay).

I'm also waiting on the right deal for those genuine Safari 5000s I can hook up to my old fog light pig tails.
Before (Sketchy situation I was in):Name:  powerlines.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  147.8 KB
After:
Name:  Newtiresandlift.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  100.0 KB
Name:  Newwheelsandlift.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  141.3 KB
Name:  0918111308b.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  18.9 KB
Name:  Resampled952011-09-189513-03-0495555.jpg
Views: 162
Size:  11.6 KB
Name:  2011-09-19154448.jpg
Views: 211
Size:  164.4 KB

My lists of wants is neverending...

Tell me what you guys think!

Old 10-24-2011, 04:21 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by slanginsanjuan
it feels weird to cover up the carpeting with diamond plate. what if it gets wet somehow and starts to mold (smell) or disintegrate. did I miss how you planned on getting it to stick down?
Yes I did come up with a solution as mentioned earlier in this thread. All the edges will be riveted/angled upwards about an inch so to trap in all deposits and liquids, allowing for quick easy cleanup via a standard vacuum cleaner or a damp rag. As for installation of the plates there are 2 options. 1.) Apply the plating then drill 4 strategically placed holes and secure with short screws. B.) the plating is heavy enough to stay put without screws or any other permanent setup. This method is more ideal should you ever wish to remove the plating. Plus your carpets wont be damaged so resell value wont be jeopardized. If anything this plating could preserve the condition and coloring of your carpets because they will not be exposed to typical deposits - the plating will take all the beating.

Last edited by TRIARII; 10-24-2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:51 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by honda50r
I'm also waiting on the right deal for those genuine Safari 5000s I can hook up to my old fog light pig tails.
HA! I just put them up for sale locally so we'll see. I don't HAVE to sell them, so I don't want to unload them for TOO cheap...plus I just got back from Vegas, so I need to recoup some of my losses...STUPID Ravens!

Oh, and I'll clip the pigtails that are attached to the truck so you can just just splice in the factory connectors to whatever switch you decide to add

Originally Posted by honda50r
Dude! I LOVE those RRC wheels, and LOVE your Disco. Those wheels make your Disco look more British and more unique...how many DI's are rocking those RRC wheels? Not many. It's just my opinion, but I would keep them on there (if you haven't taken them off already).

Quick Reply: Your Modded Land Rover here: