New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

19A? I hate this infortainment....

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 02:39 AM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 19A? I hate this infortainment....

At what point will JLR release a software version that works for bluetooth handsfree and other audio problems?

It is the most frustrating vehicle I’ve owned in this regard. Every version of 18x was problematic and, whilst 19A fixed THE most annoying bug (if you started on a journey and then stopped briefly such as refuelling and then started the car and continued everything would play up and you’d literally have to stop the car and lock it and walk away for 15 mins before you could continue) it is still hugely problematic with phone calls.

This morning; drive off and received an incoming call. Answered it on hands free and all worked beautifully. Hung up. 5 mins later I went to make an outbound call. Call connected, no audio. That’s then broken until you lock the car and leave it for 15 mins at least. But just as annoying there’s no no audio from DAB. Incoming call comes in, answer it, connected, still no audio. Revert to radio, now we have audio! But muted audio whereby it’s at about 20% the correct level and you can’t turn it up or down. It’s like the unit thinks it’s playing a navigation announcement and its turned down the radio. And, then, the audio returns. But still no handsfree. That won’t return until a full reboot of the car.

And it’s like this on just about every journey.

My standard line when answering incoming calls on handsfree, upon discovering that there’s no audio (but the caller can hear me) “FFS this bloody car handsfree, sorry I can’t hear you, I’ll call you back when I stop”

At this slow rate of progress I’m not looking for 19B but about 30Z before they’ve fixed it.

Idiots.

Old 08-11-2019, 07:43 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

I think that is probably why I don't have a big problem. I use mine only for navigation and music. I rarely make a call while I am driving or use my earbuds as I find them more comfortable and don't like my conversations broadcasted to everyone at a stoplight. I wonder if the difference is between people who use hands free often and those who don't. Hopefully they get this worked out seems incredibly frustrating.

Old 08-11-2019, 09:35 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

What phone do you use? I stream music and place/receive calls all the time and I have never really had any issues at all. I'm 18D on my '19 HSE Lux and use iPhone XS Max with iOS 13 beta.

EDIT: I saw on another thread you have iPhone with iOS 13. So strange how the experience is totally different on 2 cars.

Last edited by Drake Anderson; 08-22-2019 at 06:04 PM. Reason: add more; edit version
Old 08-12-2019, 10:06 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I cannot answer phone call on CarPlay. iOS 12. I am on 19A. I am taking it in today to hopefully get a fix and update!
I paid the $180 for the smartphone pack. If it continues not to work I would like my money back.

How is ios 13 working on CarPlay?

Old 08-12-2019, 01:04 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

So far iOS 13 works well for Carplay, but I wouldn't update just for that I have had a number of other issues and app compatibility problems. If I paid for the upgrade and it wasn't working 99% I would ask for a refund too. I am still on 19A too, is 19D out? I checked updates and said non-found.

Old 08-12-2019, 05:28 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

We have 19A, I think 18C before. Both of us have iPhone X's with IOS 12. Had a few issues with 18c, but 19A seems much better. It connect fine with Carplay and also just BT for phone calls. I do notice that when I call my wife and she is using CarPlay the audio sounds better than just BT. Seems to work fine for phone calls receiving as well as making on our phones.

Now if we can only stop it from using a couple GB of our data plan every month it would be great. Seems to do some updates, but not sure why it can't wait till it is on wifi at home.

We use CarPlay a lot for nav (Apple Maps, Waze and sometimes Google MapS), also sometimes Spotify. Works pretty well for that. Phone nav seems better to find restaurants than the build in Nav which seems outdated van after updates for shops, etc.

Overall it is useful, but still a ways from being a smoothly integrated system.

Old 08-13-2019, 01:45 AM
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

CarPlay works mostly fine. I don’t really have any issues with Spotify streaming either. It’s making and receiving handsfree calls on 19A that is the problem. And never leave the car and return to it in less than 15 mins (the time it takes for everything to shut down properly and reboot from scratch) as you know that most things will play up with regards to audio then.

It usually works fine for the first call you make or receive. And then that’s fine until you lock the car and leave it. The next call will have no audio usually. It’s clearly getting confused with other audio sources that the car is playing and simply takes away the audio from handsfeee calls.

it’s the sort of thing that would take 5 mins for a software engineer to fix, if they actually used the vehicle themselves. But this is no doubt outsourced and used in different cars and simply not tested, except when we customers give feedback and shout.

Old 08-17-2019, 07:55 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Is there a way to update via home WiFi’s? I really don’t know if I need an update mine seems to work pretty well. Was going to wait till the new iPhones with iOS 13 come out before doing anything. Maybe I could get a recall fixed and have them do it then for free.