New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 / 2018 Land Rover Discovery 5 price - What did you pay?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2018, 05:17 PM

LandRoverForums Town Crier

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2017 / 2018 Land Rover Discovery 5 price - What did you pay?

Hi everyone,

Just wondering what you guys paid for your Disco 5 and what features did you get?

Heading out to the dealer tomorrow and I want to be mentally prepared and get an idea beforehand of what to expect.

Thanks

Old 09-06-2018, 07:48 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

That is a tuff one. Don't want to get heckled for paying too much!!!!

Old 09-06-2018, 07:58 PM
Baja

Ok, I’ll be the first to go.

We got $7k below sticker. I thought I did good, but a friend who is a tech said he could of gotten a better deal.

So, let everybody start telling me how I got ripped off.

The following users liked this post:
CJ455 (09-07-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 10:04 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Net price paid is subject to a lot of things such as your local market, the specific configuration of the truck you're getting, and how motivated the dealer is to make the sell. If you get the truck you want and get $5K off the sticker I'd say you did fine, if you get $10K off I think you did better than fine. Just don't ever pay sticker since you could custom order EXACTLY what you want for sticker price. I was between taking a discounted truck on the lot with 90% of the options I wanted or ordering custom and paying sticker. I used the lack of options I wanted to argue the price down to where I thought it was worth it to take the one on the lot.

Some unsolicited advice I would give is
  1. Don't pay for extra for existing dealer add-ons, especially if they're not included in a supplemental window sticker:
    The Disco I bought was originally shipped with silver 20" wheels (stated on the sticker and door tag), but the dealer swapped them with black 21" wheels (presumably off another disco). When it came to making a deal, they tried to charge me $3K for the "upgraded wheels", even though it's a $1,700 factory option that I didn't ask for and wasn't posted on the sticker. Legally, they can't charge you for anything that's not already posted on the vehicle. They admitted that they failed to post the wheel change on the vehicle and so they ate the cost of the 21" wheels. They offered to put 20" silvers back on or charged me extra for 20" black (my Disco is blacked out, so the silvers would look pretty bad and the 21" black look really, really good ...even though they don't make off-road tires for them). Anyway, I kept the 21" and figure I'll get some 18" rims with more sidewall if I want to do any serious off-roading. But it did highlight the fact that they were stuck not being able to take the 21" off without it being a bait-and-switch and they couldn't charge me for something not posted on the window.
  2. Negotiate the price of any additional add-ons:
    I had the dealer install a tow-hitch as I tow a trailer, but I didn't pay the $3K they initially quoted and ended up paying $900. This was largely because I had a stack of VINs from other dealers with other configurations, including a tow-hitch at another dealer. $3K is a lot to pay when there is another dealer holding one at the $600 option price. $900 was fair since I would pay the $600 option price and it gives the dealer something. They also upgraded the software with the advanced tow assist, minus the rotary controller. I have all the trailer camera views, but have to use my steering wheel to steer it. They even threw in the magic sticker that goes on the trailer.
  3. Don't be afraid to walk away or request another sales person:
    I walked out once and when I came back a week later with other dealer pricing and other VINs on other lots, I asked for a different salesperson. The first guy wasn't willing to negotiate and played the "If it's out of your price range, perhaps I can show you something less equipped". Fair enough, if it's out of your ability to negotiate price, perhaps I can find a salesperson more accommodating. Second guy was much more willing to make a sale.
  4. Swag:
    This is my first Land Rover purchase, so I don't know what the typical experience is when it comes to all the accessories but I was pleasantly surprised with some of the extras I got without asking. I got the carpet floor mats with the red-stitching to match the seats, but also a full set of rubber floor-mats, cargo carrier, all kinds of cleaners, stem caps, digital tire pressure monitor, coat hook and coat hanger for the chair-backs, and a cargo net. I didn't ask for any of this, and honestly I feels dumb for not even thinking to ask for rubber floor-mats, but I had to point this out because it's apparently not a big deal for the dealer to throw this stuff in. So definitely ask.
Good luck, but seriously be able to walk if you don't think it's a good deal. There will always be other trucks and in most cases the Internet is a powerful tool to find other vehicles at other dealers to use as leverage.

CJ455 (09-07-2018)
Old 09-07-2018, 06:51 PM

LandRoverForums Town Crier

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Some really good info. Thanks a lot!

And, @abran, thanks for sharing. Looks like according to @SoCalWiley you didn't get ripped off since you got $7K off the sticker price. Nice!

Old 09-07-2018, 07:57 PM
Baja

10k sounds better. Good luck

Old 09-07-2018, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Good call on getting the locking rear diff

Old 09-09-2018, 02:51 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

They are not made in India.

Prior to Tata they were owned by Ford and prior by BMW. It has been a long time since those 'British African roots'

Being part of a larger automotive group is pretty much essential for any marque these days. There are immense economies of scale in platforms, parts and sub assemblies
Don't confuse that with saying the cars are 'built by that owner'

Disco II was a great car. But I doubt anyone looking to buy a new Disco V is going to consider a Disco II instead so not sure this thread is going anywhere...

CJ455 (09-11-2018)
Old 09-11-2018, 10:07 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

I have seen some deals out there for 2018s at 10% of MSRP for dealer stock. Unfortunately for us we wanted colors options that weren't available and ended up ordering a 2019, so not much to deal on. Will see what the final price is at delivery (if there are some incentives available), at least got $1500 of MSRP going through a broker. Deals in the SF Bay Area may be hard to come by, unless it is dealer stock.

Old 09-11-2018, 10:16 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Originally Posted by 99FLDISCOII
My Modified 99 D II gets looks and compliments from strangers each week. I am not making this up. It's not me thinking I'm all that. Heads turn. People look at it all the time.

Let's see some pics of this traffic stopping neck breaker

Quick Reply: 2017 / 2018 Land Rover Discovery 5 price - What did you pay?