Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 Discovery - New Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 05:00 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2017 Discovery - New Owners Thread

Starting a thread for new 2017 Discovery (V generation) to post any tips or problems you might have to share with other owners.

I got my HSE Lux yesterday in So. Cal.

Old 06-13-2017, 01:51 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all. I just picked up the new Discovery from the showroom in San Diego, this past Sat. Went to pickup my mom's customer order Range Rover Sport early Sat morning, and saw the new 2017 Namiba Orange Discovery HSE TD6 (Diesel) and ended up getting it for myself. Traded my Lexus IS 350 F sport. Went from really small car to a huge one. My son is loving the 3rd row seat. He claimed that spot for himself

So far really enjoying the high ride. Its amazing the amount features it has. It will take some time learning everything.

So far I have been able to use my Google Project Fi SIM card instead of the AT&T one.
I will be also testing Verizon SIM card next.
I really liked the customized home screen option. (Similar to the way Android works). I was able to add quick dial contacts to my home screen. And it even transferred the pics of my contact that I have on my phone.

I was not able to get HDMI MHL to work, as my phone does support MHL. Was looking forward to trying that out.

Last edited by monty87; 06-13-2017 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:45 PM
Drifting

Let me know if the Verizon SIM works. I won't be using the AT&T since I am already on a Verizon plan. Thanks.

Old 06-14-2017, 12:58 PM
6th Gear

So yesterday I tried my Verizon sim and it would not connect. I even tried entering their APN manually (I had to do that to get my project fi sim working) and it still did not work.

So ATT, Project Fi, and probably T-Mobile will work. Not sure on sprint.

Old 06-14-2017, 01:17 PM
Drifting

Thanks. Looks like I will be connecting through my phone. From what I have read, the only real con to doing it through the phone is your are giving up the higher performance antenna that is on the LR.

Old 06-14-2017, 02:40 PM
6th Gear

Originally Posted by pendergastjm
Thanks. Looks like I will be connecting through my phone. From what I have read, the only real con to doing it through the phone is your are giving up the higher performance antenna that is on the LR.
So there is another option if you want to use Verizon. I just got back from the verizon store, and they said the best option is to get their JetPack. That will create a mobile hotspot for your car. They were willing to offer the Jetpack for free with 2year contract and $10/month. You can connect the jetpack to the power source underneath the cup holder and leave it there out of the way, and then connect the incontrol system to the jetpacks wifi.

Old 06-14-2017, 02:53 PM
Drifting

Hmm, sounds interesting. The antenna that would be used is the Jetpack's not the LR's correct? I'm just trying to see what the advantage of the separate WiFi would be.

Old 06-14-2017, 03:24 PM
6th Gear

Antenna ? The jetpack's small device that connect to verizon network and will create a local hotspot for you. And the LR wifi will connect to the jetpack. Now you you will have the same functionality like having a verizon sim directly connected to the LR. That way you dont have to rely on your phone for creating the hotspot.

Old 06-14-2017, 05:45 PM
4wd Low

Looking at other threads on Jag's Incontrol. My read is that the cellular device in the Discovery is ONLY GSM 3G and is unlocked. That would explain Verizon SIMs not working but ATT and tMobile working.

Europe users are buying prepaid data cards for their Jags.

Old 06-14-2017, 05:48 PM
4wd Low

I got the Loadspace cover. Seems to have a bad design. The extra flap pushes back on the 3rd row seats when the raise up, the seats detect the obstruction, and fold back down.

The cutouts in the interior do not align to allow the cover to avoid the obstruction.

Anyone else seen this issue?

Quick Reply: 2017 Discovery - New Owners Thread