New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 Discovery - New Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 12:32 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Curious if any of you added on any extra maintenance plan when purchasing your Disco? Is it worth it? Mainly the Term care (that supposedly covers replacement of brake pads for $1700 for 3 years) and Maintenance care (prepaid oil changes) for $1350 for 3 years?? I've never owned a Land Rover before therefore not sure how the maintenance schedule should be for this vehicle. Other than that... I love the drive! It's a wonderful car thus far!

Old 11-15-2017, 01:43 PM
7th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently purchased a 2017 New Discovery Diesel. My reason for buying is I like diesel engines for towing boats and with the VW diesel fiasco, few brands are available. It seemed reasonable that the Discovery should be a good choice to replace an Audi Q7.

I have generally been satisfied with the car aside from the Adaptive Cruise control, the Advanced Tow Assist, and the need to continually have to reconnect the IN Control device.

I preface the following comments with the admonition that I am not well versed in internet, internet connections, nor am I proficient in smart phone manipulation(s).

I cannot find any dealer with knowledge on making the ATA (Advanced Tow Assist) work. I have watched various YouTube videos but they do not show how they set the system up to make it work. I think I have followed the manual instructions and the screen instructions, but I can't get the target placement to be consistently recognized on either of my boats. I can get no help from LR Customer Service. Any suggestions from the forum would be most appreciated as would advise and where to get help.

The Adaptive cruise control reminds me of 2000 Volvo S-80 standard cruise control. It is rather primitive for today's technology. I will ask the servicing dealership if they can fix problem's, i.e. maintaining set following distance, speeding up on hills, and losing contact with vehicles, with the Adaptive Cruise Control but I cannot imagine LR would permit changing the system in any way.

I did purchase the AT&T WIFI but the 3G coverage does not match my Verizon coverage. I turn off my Roaming on my iPhone because the phone starts streaming Spotify, Pandora, when the 3G AT&T coverage stops but the Verizon doesn't. I don't have unlimited data on the iPhone. I have no idea what the in control deal is capable off, but it is rather slow and I am not a most patient person. Again I am not computer savvy. Any suggestions on using the iPhone apps such as Off line Route planning, starting the car via the Remote App and using the IN Control function would also be appreciated.

Old 11-17-2017, 12:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 129 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by carvoyeur
Hello all,

I am a first time LR owner and have just joined this forum.

I certainly id not expect this from a ~$80K car to be honest.
1) it is a Land Rover.
2) You bought the very first model year of a newly designed vehicle.

Best of luck

The following users liked this post:
carvoyeur (11-21-2017)
Old 11-21-2017, 09:36 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by SD Disco
Curious if any of you added on any extra maintenance plan when purchasing your Disco? Is it worth it? Mainly the Term care (that supposedly covers replacement of brake pads for $1700 for 3 years) and Maintenance care (prepaid oil changes) for $1350 for 3 years?? I've never owned a Land Rover before therefore not sure how the maintenance schedule should be for this vehicle. Other than that... I love the drive! It's a wonderful car thus far!
I did not add the maintenance plan. While purchasing I read some people mention that they got 'stuck' to a particular dealer whose service turned out poor, because the plan was dealer specific. Plus it only offered a saving of ~$50-100/ visit over a period of 3 years. I decided the savings were not enough and it maybe worth having the option to choose the garage (especially if you have to move).

As for maintenance schedule they mentioned the scheduled maintenance needs to be once a year OR 20K miles. That interval may be fine over the long run but I am not sure if I should wait that long to get the first maintenance/oil change

Old 10-20-2018, 08:56 AM
1st Gear
Default How did you set the APN manually?

Originally Posted by monty87
So yesterday I tried my Verizon sim and it would not connect. I even tried entering their APN manually (I had to do that to get my project fi sim working) and it still did not work.

So ATT, Project Fi, and probably T-Mobile will work. Not sure on sprint.
hi I have the 2018 Discovery and when I put in the project Fi data sim it intermittently connects and disconnects to 3G. How did you set the APN manually as I can’t seem to get to it via the on screen settings. Thanks!