Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 Discovery - New Owners Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2017, 05:28 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by argonpaul
I love my Massage seats in Seat Package 5. They have 5 choices for location, and selectable intensity.
Great to hear! I ordered Seat Package 5 as well. When did you place your order for the Disco?

Old 06-30-2017, 06:37 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 603 Likes on 364 Posts

JB1, where are you located? Here in the Northeast we seldom see 100 degree temps.

I am so surprised about this AC issue on the new Discovery. All LR3's and LR4's have excellent AC, regardless if you bought an SE, HSE or HSE-LUX.

Old 06-30-2017, 06:47 AM
JB1
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulLR
JB1, where are you located? Here in the Northeast we seldom see 100 degree temps.

I am so surprised about this AC issue on the new Discovery. All LR3's and LR4's have excellent AC, regardless if you bought an SE, HSE or HSE-LUX.
That is why I am so mad....

Go to the dealer and see for yourself. If the car is a 2 or 3 zone, there are no vents in the ceiling in the 2nd row and none in the 3rd row. There are only 2 vents near the door in the 2nd row which barely work. For heat, there are vents under the front seats for the 2nd row, but nothing for the 3rd.

Regardless, play with the 2nd row control. Put the 2nd row auto climate to HI, and have the front 2 zones set to 70. There will be cold air blasting out the front 4 vents and hot air coming from vents under the seats. And nothing, of course, for the 3rd row.

The whole system is f&cked for a 2 or 3 zone model. I haven't tested the 4 zone because the dealer doesn't have one. But online forums shows it works good.

I talked with LR corp again yesterday. Dumbass says she hasn't heard of any complaints about this. I told her I was the first in the USA to buy one on the day it was available for sale on may 26. She didn't even know this is a brand new design....

Old 06-30-2017, 06:48 AM
JB1
Drifting

Oh. And I am in the Southwest. Hot....

Old 06-30-2017, 07:32 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Thanks so much JB1. Sorry to hear what you are going through. Same thing happened on the Q7 back in 2007 when it first came out. Early adopters with 1-zone AC were miserable. I had to cancel my first Q7 order, place a new one with the second AC unit added and wait an extra 3 months.

This issue may prevent me from ordering one. I'd pay for the 4-zone AC but I hate the option bundling. I don't want massage seats and the metallic windshield will jam my radar detector.

Old 06-30-2017, 09:21 AM
JB1
Drifting

Thanks so much JB1. Sorry to hear what you are going through. Same thing happened on the Q7 back in 2007 when it first came out. Early adopters with 1-zone AC were miserable. I had to cancel my first Q7 order, place a new one with the second AC unit added and wait an extra 3 months.

This issue may prevent me from ordering one. I'd pay for the 4-zone AC but I hate the option bundling. I don't want massage seats and the metallic windshield will jam my radar detector.
To be blunt, I wouldn't buy a Discovery at all then. The way they put everything as an option really screwed up this car. Spend a little of extra money and get the proven range Rover (no stupid sport) or Jeep Grand Cherokee.

And another point you need to consider. I am only getting 9-10 MPG city. They advertise 16. I am tempted to call the Feds and have them to a test on this car and get LR penalized like what happened to VW.

Old 06-30-2017, 01:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I can't imagine why your mpg is so low. We get about 12 mpg city with a V8 LR4 and the SCV6 typically gets 1 mpg better. You should be getting at least 14 mpg city with the 1000 pound weight reduction. Are you relying on the onboard computer or doing the math yourself using the odometer and gas pump? Try the odometer and gas pump method to see what is really happening.

Old 06-30-2017, 02:08 PM
JB1
Drifting

I can't imagine why your mpg is so low. We get about 12 mpg city with a V8 LR4 and the SCV6 typically gets 1 mpg better. You should be getting at least 14 mpg city with the 1000 pound weight reduction. Are you relying on the onboard computer or doing the math yourself using the odometer and gas pump? Try the odometer and gas pump method to see what is really happening.
Why would you compare the older model to the new one? Completely different cars.

And as I explained before, I have to have the car climate at Max the whole time driving because there are no vents in the 3rd row and only two in the 2nd row that barely work. It is 110 degrees again today.

This is a big *** car that only has one blower motor and missing at least 4 vents. I am surprised it isn't over heating....

What a piece of sh&t....

Old 06-30-2017, 05:27 PM
JB1
Drifting

Originally Posted by JB1
Why would you compare the older model to the new one? Completely different cars.

And as I explained before, I have to have the car climate at Max the whole time driving because there are no vents in the 3rd row and only two in the 2nd row that barely work. It is 110 degrees again today.

This is a big *** car that only has one blower motor and missing at least 4 vents. I am surprised it isn't over heating....

What a piece of sh&t....
Update to all:. LR corp called me back today. After internal talks, the car is performing as it was designed. And nothing will be done to remedy my situation. Only local dealer could help. Which I doubt they will do. So now I have to get an attorney.

I will be posting on every Discovery forum out there about this car. If you really want to buy this piece of sh&t from a company who doesn't care if the car is functionality correctly in a safe manner, make sure you buy the HSE luxury model with the 4 zone climate control that has the two blower system with 4 extra vents. If you don't, as soon as it gets cold or hot, you are screwed. Period. Don't say I didn't warn you! Oh. And fu#k LR!!!!

Old 07-04-2017, 04:40 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

Sorry to hear you're having such a bad experience with the new discovery

Would love to hear from other new owners about their experience with the standard AC system. It's pretty standard to test them to operate effectively at well over 100F so hard to understand how they could get that wrong
Similarly on the fuel efficiency - given weight and design improvements you'd expect a lot better in real world driving. Even with AC running flat out it shouldn't be that poor.
Wonder if there is an issue they haven't tracked down. So definitely interested to hear from others on mpg and on AC performance

Quick Reply: 2017 Discovery - New Owners Thread