Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020 Disco TD6 oil service indicator

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2020, 02:23 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2020 Disco TD6 oil service indicator

My 6 month old 2020 Disco TD6 gave me a service warning for an oil change about 4 days ago saying oil change required in 1900 km. After driving about 300km since that warning it says to change the oil now. I do a mix of city and highway driving, no towing or extreme conditions. The vehicle only has 7900 km on it currently (4900 miles). When I checked the oil level using the sensor (no dipstick) it said my oil level was fine. The engine is running fine with no issues whatsoever.

I called my dealer who had little to say about the warning going from 1900 km until service required to needing service now in 4 days and only about 300km driven. They did say it "must need an oil change" although they couldn't give me an appointment for 2 weeks. I eventually persuaded them give me an appointment in 5 days.

In the interim I am concerned about using the vehicle with the service warning on.

Is this early for an oil change? Any idea why the alert went from 1900km to 0 km so quickly? Is the oil service indicator based on an algorithm of time/mileage and type of driving or is there an actual sensor that detects issues withe oil quality? Am I safe to continue driving the vehicle?

Thanks for any advice

Old 08-06-2020, 03:30 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

It’s perfectly safe to drive the vehicle.
It’s just telling you to take it for service which you should do as promptly as is practical (ie don’t put if off for 2 months as some people would likely do).

I’m a bit puzzled about the service warning myself. I got a warning after 1,500 miles which makes no sense given what’s written in the manual. I reset the warning to 16,000 but it does drop much quicker than the mileage I actually drive. This either makes no sense and is a software bug, or it’s using some sort of algorithm to reduce it based on my use which is in very hot Texas weather (although I fail to see why that makes any difference given engine temperature is regulated) and relatively short journeys (say less than 20 miles most of the time).
I took it in for service about 3 weeks ago and checked the counter and they had reset it, but again it has dropped faster than the miles I’ve actually driven. So I’m also puzzled.
That said I service per the manual and don’t much miles anyway so I’m in no danger of going over anything. But the warning “convenience” feature would have me going for service more frequently than even the “severe” driving interval in the manual which makes no sense...

Old 08-06-2020, 04:17 PM
Mudding
Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

It may have something to do with the revised algorithm for fuel dilution based on short trips and aborted active regenerations of the DPF. Change the oil (it's not something that only the dealer can do, look at my other posts about which oil you can use,) and get the oil tested, (called a used oil analysis, or UOA.) Blackstone Labs will send you free sample kits. They will measure for fuel dilution and then you can tell yourself whether or not the algorithm JLR is using is accurate in your particular case or not. (Remember, it's a mathematical formula and not an actual gauge.) I dumped my factory fill at 2k miles and I was concerned if maybe some of my shorter trips resulted in aborted active regenerations and my UOA showed zero fuel in my oil, so now I will take my next OCI out to 7,500 miles.

If you don't have a diesel, than this is perhaps my most compelling reason at the moment for me to acquire an IDII Gap diagnostic tool, so I can properly reset these annoying and obtrusive maintenance reminders. I've owned a couple of late-model BMW's and as long as I can reset the maintenance reminders that is one thing, but if the JLR wants to be a commie and share my service status with a local dealer and then force me to return to a dealer in order to reset a ridiculous maintenance reminder that I could otherwise do with the IDII Gap tool, then that is the route I will go. I'm still not certain if I was able to reset all of the maintenance reminders with the official maintenance service reminder reset process; the process worked, just not sure what all it may have done, or if there are other reminders that it may not have reset.

Last edited by AirRyan; 08-06-2020 at 04:31 PM.