New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Service due Warning - Dealer configured?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2020, 01:28 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Service due Warning - Dealer configured?

I've only covered less than 1,900 miles in my gas D5 in a little under 6 months and today I got a warning on the dash that an oil change will be due in 1,350 miles.
Given that the service interval (inc oil change) is 16,000 miles according to the manual I'm curious as to why it's warning me to get an oil change done at approx 3,300 miles...

I can't see any way to set the interval (although I did find the reset instructions on here) but I presume it can be set by the dealership using their programming tools.
So this has me wondering if they would have set it to such a low interval to protect service revenue?
Which would be weird as they were very clear to me that the interval is 16,000 miles / 12 months when I first picked it up.

I'm assuming I can get them to change it (and no I won't be paying them to due to the age of the vehicle and the fact it was clearly set wrong when I picked it up) but I'm curious as to how it ended up at this value...

On a side note, my wife's cheap Kia lets you configure the interval through the dash LCD screen so it's annoying that LR deliberately withhold that function...

Old 01-07-2020, 07:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

The service interval is 16k miles or one year. Light usually comes on a few weeks before due. So most likely it wasn't reset when you bought the vehicle so I'd guess the total time elapsed is a little over 11 months but you've only owned it for part of that. The rest is either time since mfr or time since it arrived at dealer if they reset it then

You can reset it manually with a code reader. Ask dealer to do it. Or just ignore it. Just make sure you get oil changed after a year of ownership.

Old 01-07-2020, 07:15 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 720 Likes on 605 Posts

Kias are disposable cars, Kia does not care if/when one changes the oil. Rover on the other hand has always pushed for proper maintenance. While I do not at all agree with time intervals on oil I do not agree with letting the owner change the milage interval. If anything I would rather see a milage/time formula like used in my Lincoln. Both time/milage played a factor but there was no fixed duration of milage or 6/12 months. It was calculated on average oil temperature, number of engine starts, miles driven, etc. To me a timed interval is something that was only done back on carbureted engines, a time when gas could more easily mix into the oil. So even sitting the oil could break down a little.

Personally I would just get it changed and start a new cycle now knowing you are good to go. It certainly will help with any possible future warranty claims.

Old 01-08-2020, 09:39 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

I believe on the D5 and many other new vehicles the oil change interval is based on parameters the ECU tracks as mentioned above. Lots of cold starts and short trips will drastically shorten the change interval.

Our starts at 16k, but can shorten based on type of driving.

Old 01-08-2020, 09:42 AM
Rock Crawling

So despite the warning saying that service is due in 1300 miles we are saying that the warning is also time based? I appreciate the book says 16k miles or 12 months but the warning says it’s due in X miles, not Y weeks. Are we sure the warning mechanism takes into account time?

I like being able to set the mileage based on what I know of our pattern of usage. For example her Kia is 7k/12mos for highway use and 3.5k for extreme use like mainly in town stop/start and extreme cold and so on. Based on how she uses her car, our weather etc I have it set to 12 months or 5k.
While I appreciate the Kia is not in the same class as an LR I find it a helpful comparison of approach as they were both bought brand new the same week and one is 3 times the price of the other which is why if I get any rattles or any other weird behavior in the LR I use the “well my wife’s cheap Kia doesn’t rattle so I fail to see why this should” type argument with the LR service depot if needed. Also, I wouldn’t read too much into the status/class of a vehicle as LR give a 4 year power train warranty and Kia give 10 years so you would imagine Kia would be more conservative with maintenance so they do t end up out of pocket whereas with LR it’s the customer who ends up out of pocket one 4 years is over. I’m sad to say I also have more faith in Kia reliability than LR (at least in general).

I’ll reset the interval using the door/hood pedals process outlined on this forum and see when the alert comes back. If it’s 3300 miles again and just a few months then something is set wrong...

Old 01-08-2020, 09:57 AM
Rock Crawling

Ok, so I reset the service interval using the pedal/hood method and now it says service due in 16,150 miles which is a relief as it means no other weird interval has been set. So despite the message verbiage maybe it is the stated mileage or time based? And maybe it had calculated 1300 miles for me based on the date it would have become due (since build or PDI) based on my average miles per month? Seems clever if so but also odd...

Old 01-08-2020, 06:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

Yes - it is based both on time and on mileage. It gives 16k miles or one year as that is the service interval. It warns you if you've done the miles or if a year has elapsed
It may adjust that a bit based on usage but neither of my LRs nor Jags have been triggered unless they are approaching 12 months or at the specified mileage

Either way I can't believe that driving behavior reduced it by 80pc. So my money is that several months of the timer had already ticked away and it wasn't reset when you bought it

Anyway - let it run but remember it's due on the 1 year anniversary of your purchase. Not a year from now!