Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2022 Discovery Key FOB proximity not functioning

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2023, 10:26 AM
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 2022 Discovery Key FOB proximity not functioning

I have a 2022 LR Discovery and just three days ago I got a place key fob in location shown message when I hit the start button. I placed the key FOB under the column where the diagram showed and it started just fine. No other warnings were given - this was a sudden message.
I figured the FOB batteries must be bad so I replaced them both. I still get the message, and I also noticed the proximity unlock (when I touch the door handle) does not work. I can push the lock and unlock button and the vehicle will perform as expected. My wife talked to the LR Dealer where we bought and had it serviced, and they suggested changing the FOB batteries again because maybe the first pair were bad. So we did just that - replaced the batteries again.
There was no improvement at all.
Here are the exact symptoms of the issue. When the vehicle is locked, We cannot touch the door handles and get it to unlock, we must push the unlock button on the FOB. Therefore, we know the FOB is working and the car is functional. When we touch the outside circular area on the door handle it used to lock the car for us, and now it does not. We must manually push the button to lock the vehicle.
When we get into the car and push start, we get the message that states "place key FOB in location shown and push start". That location on the Disco 2022 is under the steering column. We do this and the car will start up.
Has anyone else experienced this and maybe know a way we can fix this at home? Some sort of reset, etc...? We have an appointment to bring it in, but they are backed up to March 11th. Just looking for some info.

Old 02-25-2023, 11:43 AM
Mudding
Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

The proximity system may be turned off. The procedure has to be precise but it does work. The headlights flash three times when successful.

The following users liked this post:
cahillfamily5 (06-23-2023)
Old 02-25-2023, 12:30 PM
3rd Gear
Default Slight work around

Originally Posted by Jamie2202
I have a 2022 LR Discovery and just three days ago I got a place key fob in location shown message when I hit the start button. I placed the key FOB under the column where the diagram showed and it started just fine. No other warnings were given - this was a sudden message.
I figured the FOB batteries must be bad so I replaced them both. I still get the message, and I also noticed the proximity unlock (when I touch the door handle) does not work. I can push the lock and unlock button and the vehicle will perform as expected. My wife talked to the LR Dealer where we bought and had it serviced, and they suggested changing the FOB batteries again because maybe the first pair were bad. So we did just that - replaced the batteries again.
Here are the exact symptoms of the issue. When the vehicle is locked, We cannot touch the door handles and get it to unlock, we must push the unlock button on the FOB. Therefore, we know the FOB is working and the car is functional. When we touch the outside circular area on the door handle it used to lock the car for us, and now it does not. We must manually push the button to lock the vehicle.
When we get into the car and push start, we get the message that states "place key FOB in location shown and push start". That location on the Disco 2022 is under the steering column. We do this and the car will start up.
Has anyone else experienced this and maybe know a way we can fix this at home? Some sort of reset, etc...? We have an appointment to bring it in, but they are backed up to March 11th. Just looking for some info.

I read in a different forum that someone removed their battery cables, then left them off for 60 seconds and reattached. I just went out and did this and now the proximity functions ARE WORKING. I will be getting the battery voltage checked here soon just to be sure the battery is not the issue. Over the past month I intermittently got a low battery start engine warning. Makes me think I may have a battery on its way out.

The following 2 users liked this post by Jamie2202:
ar077 (11-30-2023), TheManMac (02-25-2023)
Old 02-25-2023, 12:44 PM
Mudding

Your battery is probably ok; you should get four years out of a battery no problem. Does your stop/start work, meaning does the engine cut off at a stop light?
If it does your battery is fine; the stop/start won't work unless the battery reads charged voltage.
Even after I put a new battery in my 2017, I would get that warning after having the ignition on without the engine running. And it didn't even have to be for a long period of time.

Old 02-25-2023, 01:50 PM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by David42six
Your battery is probably ok; you should get four years out of a battery no problem. Does your stop/start work, meaning does the engine cut off at a stop light?
If it does your battery is fine; the stop/start won't work unless the battery reads charged voltage.
Even after I put a new battery in my 2017, I would get that warning after having the ignition on without the engine running. And it didn't even have to be for a long period of time.
Yes, the auto stop start is working. Wish it wasn't, I hate that feature.

Old 02-25-2023, 02:36 PM
Mudding

I found a simple way to permanently disable stop/start. I found it on the UK site. I was afraid to try it because these cars are so electronically complicated; I can attest, however, after having done this myself a while ago, that I have suffered no negative effects. Go to the right rear of the boot and remove the cover to reveal the tool kit. Under the tool kit you will see what is pictured below. Under the large grey plug with the single black wire protruding, locate the small black plug and un-plug it; simply press the plastic release clip and pull. The stop/start system will cease to function. The picture shows the plug unplugged.

The following 3 users liked this post by David42six:
angelboing (06-29-2023), ar077 (11-30-2023), Jamie2202 (02-25-2023)
Old 06-23-2023, 08:58 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’ve just had this happen to me
How was your problem solved ?

Old 08-13-2023, 01:32 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had this happen and the following solved it for me.

1) Unlock and sit in side your car with the key in the driver seat
2) Lock the car with your key fob button
3) Wait 15s
4) Unlock the car with your key fob
5) Test to see if you can start your car without holding your key fob underneath the steering column

Let us know if this worked!

Old 11-24-2023, 01:55 PM
4wd High
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default FOB stopped working

This happened to me as well. I haven’t figured out a way to fix it yet.

same exact experience as you.

Old 11-29-2023, 06:50 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

Disconnect main battery. Count to 20 and reconnect it. That will reboot the modules and it should work fine after that

You may need to reset the electric window auto up and down (v simple - see user manual)

The following users liked this post:
ar077 (11-30-2023)