New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyway to see why check engine light is on?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 03:15 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Anyway to see why check engine light is on?

Drove about 1.5hrs then sat idling for about 10min while I answered an email then looked up and see the check engine on. It runs fine and I looked under the system messages or whatever that page is when off and nothing is there. I have it scheduled already for thursday for the software update so was going to let them see it then. Coolant, pressure, temps all are normal. Engine is td6 and I did the service reset and it’s still there.

Old 10-02-2018, 04:05 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

a basic OBD2 reader should give you a code

Old 10-02-2018, 05:21 PM
Mudding
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Take to Autozone - they will read for free

Old 10-03-2018, 09:39 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

You can also buy a simple ODB scan tool for $20 on Amazon. I bought a slightly more expensive one which connects to my iPad via Wifi, and it has come in pretty handy. I think these days a ODB scan tool is must for the toolbox given modern vehicles are computers on wheels. At least with this tool you can check the critical parts and clear codes.

Sorry to see you are having so many issues with the D5 from the dealer with delivery delays and small wear/tear items that was not mentioned, now an CEL (Check Engine Light). Hopefully that will be the end of it.

Old 10-03-2018, 10:25 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by andries
You can also buy a simple ODB scan tool for $20 on Amazon. I bought a slightly more expensive one which connects to my iPad via Wifi, and it has come in pretty handy. I think these days a ODB scan tool is must for the toolbox given modern vehicles are computers on wheels. At least with this tool you can check the critical parts and clear codes.

Sorry to see you are having so many issues with the D5 from the dealer with delivery delays and small wear/tear items that was not mentioned, now an CEL (Check Engine Light). Hopefully that will be the end of it.
I hope so too because honestly it is the greatest vehicle I’ve ever had and the other items were small that we’re working on. You’d think with all the computers in these they’d just send the info to the maintenance section of the vehicle information page. It’s going into the local dealership today at 2 so we’ll see. I live about 5min from one so it’s not bad. Getting the infotainment updated along with the state inspection and the check engine light looked at. I’ve never had to mess with a code reader before but I’ll look at ordering one today. Thanks for all the tips!

Old 10-03-2018, 11:53 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Not to detract from the original topic but, for such a sophisticated vehicle, does anyone else find it annoying that there are no guages for oil temp, transmission temp, and all of the other possible things one may want to monitor? I mean, with the full digital cluster, there should be no limitation there.

Old 10-03-2018, 02:32 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by The DareDevil
Not to detract from the original topic but, for such a sophisticated vehicle, does anyone else find it annoying that there are no guages for oil temp, transmission temp, and all of the other possible things one may want to monitor? I mean, with the full digital cluster, there should be no limitation there.
I don’t really worry about oil temls but pressure would be really nice along with the tranny temp.

Just went by autozone, like an idiot i though my appointment was today but it’s tomorrow. Pulled code P229F which is NOx Sensor Circuit Range/Performance. Hopefully just a faulty sensor that can replaced relatively quickly while they update its software. I just connected it to my home WiFi hoping I can do something with that lol. Either way it’s fun to toy with.

Old 10-03-2018, 08:41 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ToiletDuck

I don’t really worry about oil temls but pressure would be really nice along with the tranny temp.

Just went by autozone, like an idiot i though my appointment was today but it’s tomorrow. Pulled code P229F which is NOx Sensor Circuit Range/Performance. Hopefully just a faulty sensor that can replaced relatively quickly while they update its software. I just connected it to my home WiFi hoping I can do something with that lol. Either way it’s fun to toy with.
Yeah, we could have access to all that.

Endless emission system issues was the reason I dumped my last diesel (Mercedes), and went with the Si6.I'm genuinely interested in your experiences with the Td6.

Old 10-04-2018, 10:18 AM
Rock Crawling

Apparently is like 6 to 8 hrs to software update and with the check engine for a Nox sensor they can’t finish it today. At GM anytime I had warranty work I either got a loaner or a rental from them. LR is giving me a free ride within 15miles and leaving me unable to meet with a client in another city this afternoon. Bummed :-(

Old 10-04-2018, 10:33 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by ToiletDuck
Apparently is like 6 to 8 hrs to software update and with the check engine for a Nox sensor they can’t finish it today. At GM anytime I had warranty work I either got a loaner or a rental from them. LR is giving me a free ride within 15miles and leaving me unable to meet with a client in another city this afternoon. Bummed :-(
That sucks, not at all what I would expect from a luxury brand. Lexus would even give me a loaner vehicle for just a service. Guess it depends on the dealer, but was expecting more from JLR.

Quick Reply: Anyway to see why check engine light is on?