Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The bad and the ugly...

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 02:17 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default The bad and the ugly...

In this thread, I'd like to assemble a series of pictures showing the bad and ugly stuff that happens with insufficient quality control or use of subpar materials. We all know that the Discovery has some software issues, but there are also plenty of mechanic and cosmetic defects:

To start:
1) yesterday while handwashing the LR5, the "E" came off... Apparently, the dealer has seen this one happening before

2) The plastic trim that covers the D-pillar (highlighted below) cracked on the passenger side and came partially loose on the driver side... Both pieces have been replaced. This was the very first time the dealer has seen this happening

3) The 2nd row's 2-seat section (i.e. behind the driver) has a problem with the back-and-forth-sliding. When you pull the lever, the seats don’t slide smoothly but completely jam. One has to yank the seat cushions outwards (towards the door) and wiggle the assembly to adjust the position – and even then, the row only moves after a few trials.

Last edited by BelGSX-R; 10-01-2018 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:28 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BelGSX-R
3) The headrests should be foldable via the touchscreen. However, this only works in some rare circumstances and I haven’t really figured out how to get it to work consistently.
I use this feature quite a bit without any issues at all. As long as nobody is sitting in the 2nd row, they drop 100% of the time. If anybody is in any seat in the second row, nothing happens ...which is unfortunate because it would be funny to be able to bonk my kids on their heads while driving.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:22 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

Also, isn't there supposed to be a GOOD in there...

Old 10-02-2018, 04:58 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by SoCalWiley
I use this feature quite a bit without any issues at all. As long as nobody is sitting in the 2nd row, they drop 100% of the time. If anybody is in any seat in the second row, nothing happens ...which is unfortunate because it would be funny to be able to bonk my kids on their heads while driving.
Thanks - In ours, it works maybe 25% of the time and I attribute this to a software issue => I removed it from my original post.....

Originally Posted by abran
Also, isn't there supposed to be a GOOD in there...
ABSOLUTELY: There's a loooooooot of GOOD , as I would expect from a car that cost over at least >$70K. The good would disserve a separate post. However, some issues of initial quality are just baffling me: we have been now 4 times to the dealership within the first 8 months of ownership to get issues fixed....

Here are another 3:
1) The hood was misaligned: gap between fender and hood was a good quarter inch wider on the left than on the right. No pictures, but report from repair:

2) The rear bumper fascia was popping out to the point that the unpainted inner rim became visible:

3) A week after receiving the car, we were unable to slide back and forth the passenger 2nd row seat:

Last edited by BelGSX-R; 10-02-2018 at 05:07 AM.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:40 AM
Baja

I was only making a joke about the good.

Old 10-02-2018, 07:42 AM
Baja

Did you buy new or CPO?

Old 10-02-2018, 07:46 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by abran
Did you buy new or CPO?
Custom-build: ordered 10/2017, delivered 01/2018.

Old 10-02-2018, 08:12 AM
Mudding
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

So you ordered it with the misaligned hood? Did not see that on the website.

Those are things that should not be in a car this level. Their quality seems to be hit or miss.

Old 10-02-2018, 08:57 AM
Baja

well that sucks.

Old 10-02-2018, 10:37 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks - In ours, it works maybe 25% of the time and I attribute this to a software issue => I removed it from my original post.....
Didn't mean you should remove it, just pointing out that it should be more reliable so there is clearly something up with your unit. Definitely have it checked while under warranty. I've got a handful of software glitches that I'm documenting to go in for service all at once. I'm pretty sure it's all related as it's intermittent failure of the TPMS, FOB detection, and portions of the digital dash failing to load or crashing. Hopefully they can just upgrade the firmware, but also don't want to lose the advanced trailer assist software they loaded when they weren't supposed to.

Ok, now for some good. I found this center console tray on Amazon (http://a.co/d/48C8pQQ) and it's something that should have come in the Disco to begin with as it makes the center console much more practical. Sometimes it's the little things.

The following 2 users liked this post by SoCalWiley:
Black 18 Disco (10-04-2018), SoundsoftheSuburbs (12-20-2018)

Quick Reply: The bad and the ugly...