Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Bike Rack works for 2022 w/ towing package

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2022, 08:06 PM
Drifting
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Which Bike Rack works for 2022 w/ towing package

I have a 2022 Discovery with the towing package (USA model).

It looks like all of the hitch-based bike racks from Thule and Yakima require the pin hole to be a minimum of 1.5” deep if not more depending on the bike rack model. I measured the distance from the start of the hitch receiver to the middle of the pin hole and it appears to be about 1.25”, which explains why the Yakima FullTilt 5 that I bought did not click into place the same way it appeared in the installation video. Also when I tighten the **** on it, I never get resistance, it just turns endlessly.

Any suggestions? Happy to get something different, just want a good way to take my family biking.

Old 01-15-2022, 04:54 PM
Drifting
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Found one that works! Out of all the Thule and Yakima hitch-mount bike racks, it appears the Thule 9034XT is the only one that supports a pin hole depth of less than 1.5”. This one accommodates the shallow depth of the pin hole of the hitch receiver that comes as part of the towing package (at least for USA spec).

The good news is that even though there’s only one option (and it’s expensive at $800) across those two brands, it is a really nice one and holds 2 bikes easily. It also accepts the extension add-on to add 2 more bikes.

Hope this is helpful to someone!!

Old 01-16-2022, 09:28 AM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tuna_disco
I have a 2022 Discovery with the towing package (USA model).

It looks like all of the hitch-based bike racks from Thule and Yakima require the pin hole to be a minimum of 1.5” deep if not more depending on the bike rack model. I measured the distance from the start of the hitch receiver to the middle of the pin hole and it appears to be about 1.25”, which explains why the Yakima FullTilt 5 that I bought did not click into place the same way it appeared in the installation video. Also when I tighten the **** on it, I never get resistance, it just turns endlessly.

Any suggestions? Happy to get something different, just want a good way to take my family biking.
i had the same problem. You can buy an adapter from any bike shop and then use just about any bike rack.

My bike shop just gave it to me for free to make the sale on the Thule bike rack.

Old 01-17-2022, 10:42 AM
4wd Low
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Have you looked into Kuat? I have a Kuat NV (older version) for 2" receiver and works great on my '22 Disco with towing package. I've been extremely satisfied with the rack and would certainly recommend at least looking into as an option. I don't think I have any pics but if I do I will post. Good luck!

The following users liked this post:
dinkeldorf (01-21-2022)