Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown Head - DYI resources?

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2024, 08:42 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown Head - DYI resources?

So my 2017 Disco5 85K miles has a blown head gasket. A shop I use frequently and trust has diagnosed it and quoted me $12K. Actually they said "Twelve thousand out the door". I think "out the door" was added to soften the blow. They have never been the least expensive shop on the block but even that seems a wee bit expensive to me. It does include a 3yr/36k mile warranty though.

For $12,000 I have a lot of time patience and skill. If I were to do it myself I would probably just buy a new car for my wife; work on this one over several weeks and then do some serious off-roading.

The one problem is I do not really have the first clue about this engine and want to get to know what sources are available. I do know my way around engines in general. I work on my own Mercedes engines (diesel and gas) keeping them in good form and have done a number of fairly intense jobs on various vehicles over the years so I think if I had the right resources I could do it.

The internet seems strangely devoid of information about this engine. Granted I only started looking today. Usually i take this car to the shop. As mentioned its my wife's car and my practice is to use a third party for its repairs.

So basically with this engine Im starting at zero or near zero - apparently its a V6 3.0L of the Ingenium AJ126 engine family.

Would any of you have an opinion of my quoted price to fix and also whether taking this on myself is a stupid idea. I could throw the money at it but it just seems like a waste at this point and if I did that Id still be an invalid with respect to the engine the next time there is a problem.

Any help, advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated especially if I could get some good sources for details about the engine, shop manuals and parts.

thanks much

Last edited by mplangley; 02-13-2024 at 10:23 PM.