New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CarPlay in the USA

Old 10-28-2018, 07:20 AM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think in the excitement of getting CarPlay and AA in our cars, we likely are forcing Land Rover to jump the gun a little. I am going to wait for them to get the kinks out before bringing the car in to get installed.

FWIW, I have both CP and AA in another car and I don't use it. I keep my audio input on bluetooth and run my audio from by phone (my mount is a wireless charger that is mounted on one of my vents). I didn't like having to plug in my phone every time I entered the car and then navigate the screens to listen to music (on bluetooth, the audio automatically starts with whatever I was listening to last time). I also didn't like having to exit out of CP or AA to access some of the car's functions (such as sound settings or trip computer - the latter may not be an issue in the Discovery since we can get that info in the dash display).

Regardless if I used CP/AA or not, one thing to note is that in the USA, your Sirius XM subscription is now disposable, particularly if you have another car subscription. My wife's car is the base subscription in my household and at least in my other car, I run Sirius XM through the app on my phone via bluetooth. It works well and has better sound quality vs. the satellite sound quality. I also believe that if you use CP/AA, you run Sirius through the app as well (although the interface is not that great).

Lastly, I carry 2 phones with me - CP and AA and found myself preferring AA more (when I did use it). It gave me more flexibility at the time, although CP has caught up somewhat because I think you can now use Waze instead of the Apple Maps app.

Old 10-29-2018, 08:46 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BchBum11511

That’s what I’m thinking even though they told they did. When your phone is connected and you go to All Settings —> Connectivity —> Apple Device Settings, do you get options other than None and InControl Apps?
Yes, if CarPlay is installed correctly on your vehicle, you will see an option under Apple Device Settings that allows you to select either InControl Apps or CarPlay. I am sure your dealer hosed up the install of the Smart Phone Pack.

Old 10-29-2018, 10:49 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

Just picked up my MY2019 and the sales rep said that apparently the Smart Phone package will be on option (read extra $$) for MY19 orders. I have not had time to go through it all on new D5 (MY19 order). Will see once I have time to play with it. Also not sure how accurate the statement by the rep is, but that seems to be the way they may go.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:02 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took my 2017 in for service and asked them to update software. When I picked it up carplay was not installed. Asked them about it and the tech said it was an option when installing the software. He took it in and 15 mins later it was added at no cost.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:51 AM
Rock Crawling

Thanks, seems like I may have to take mine in to get it loaded. Does it require a special cable? Or does any iPhone USB/lightning data cable work (basically if I can use the cable to connect to a computer)?

Old 11-01-2018, 11:37 AM
Drifting
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BritCars
Hi LR4Top - can you explain this comment?
"They also fixed how my accelleration was reacting when I would lightly press on the gas. Again, it's something that has to do with the software that run these cars. "

We have the acceleration issue. We were told they are aware and working on this. But the software update changes engine / gear shift timing/operations so has to go through US emissions testing and certification and they thought it wouldn't be available until next year
So - any idea what they did? Which software etc?
What I meant was that when I use the autonomous driving feature, when the vehicle comes to a complete stop, and then when I lightly press the gas (while in this mode), the vehicle jerks then proceeds. Its like there's a delay. They checked the software for that and it too was outdated. These cars rely very much on their computer firmware. The acceleration before from regular driving was having the same issue as well. When I lightly press on the gas, its like the vehicle doesn't want to go until I put more pressure on the gas but then it just bolts.

The following users liked this post:
andries (11-01-2018)
Old 11-01-2018, 01:23 PM
Rock Crawling

Well just looked at the LR website and for new orders the Smartphone package is a $300 option, so expecting dealers to charge for it going forward. Wish it was there when I ordered my 2019, will have to go to the dealer and have it loaded at some point. Probably smart to wait a bit, if there are any gremlins that need to be sorted out, I notice the InControl is not visible form the Smartphone app.

Old 11-02-2018, 10:46 AM
Drifting
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Lucky you...

Originally Posted by andries
Well just looked at the LR website and for new orders the Smartphone package is a $300 option, so expecting dealers to charge for it going forward. Wish it was there when I ordered my 2019, will have to go to the dealer and have it loaded at some point. Probably smart to wait a bit, if there are any gremlins that need to be sorted out, I notice the InControl is not visible form the Smartphone app.
Congratulations on your 2019. However, many of these issues have existed ever since LR rolled out the Discovery 5. I, for one, have taken my D5 to my service guy 6 times because of continuous issues with the infotainment system (both hardware and software). So, as of now, 90% of my issues have been resolved. So most of the major issues with the software app has been consistent with many LR owners and not just D5 owners. Customers that own the 2017 Velar had the same issues, etc. Many of these issues were consistent. I even contacted LR myself and they recorded my comments on my new purchase telling them what I liked and what I disliked about my new D5. Its like LR doesn't put enough thorough R&D (Research & Development) when it comes to their technology. What I did emphasized to LR was that they are wasting their money on R&D to develop their proprietory InControl software and they need to expedite their license to have Apple Carplay to please customers who own an iPhone. I think they finally listened and that many others said the same thing. As for your new ride, I think you should still get Apple Carplay. OR see if their InControl app work for you without Apple Carplay.

The following users liked this post:
andries (11-02-2018)
Old 11-02-2018, 10:55 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by LR4Top
Congratulations on your 2019. However, many of these issues have existed ever since LR rolled out the Discovery 5. I, for one, have taken my D5 to my service guy 6 times because of continuous issues with the infotainment system (both hardware and software). So, as of now, 90% of my issues have been resolved. So most of the major issues with the software app has been consistent with many LR owners and not just D5 owners. Customers that own the 2017 Velar had the same issues, etc. Many of these issues were consistent. I even contacted LR myself and they recorded my comments on my new purchase telling them what I liked and what I disliked about my new D5. Its like LR doesn't put enough thorough R&D (Research & Development) when it comes to their technology. What I did emphasized to LR was that they are wasting their money on R&D to develop their proprietory InControl software and they need to expedite their license to have Apple Carplay to please customers who own an iPhone. I think they finally listened and that many others said the same thing. As for your new ride, I think you should still get Apple Carplay. OR see if their InControl app work for you without Apple Carplay.
Definite planning on getting Carplay, but will wait a bit before taking it in to make sure they can address other issues that may exist. Very interested to see the transmission/ECU update that fixed the lag, wish they put a firmware version on repair orders so others can point their dealers to it.

In the case of LR I do think that they are not doing enough QA at the end of the R&D cycle, with all the new functionality of computer systems it is becoming more and more important. A lot cheaper to do more QA and save on repair costs later, but the issue is time to market. (Look at Apple with their last 2 rounds of software releases on iPhones and even Macs). There is a ton of functionality and different scenarios that they need to cover, and I honestly think they just don't put in enough time in developing proper test harnesses. Hoping it gets better though, as it least cars have a much longer lifespan than most mobile devices.

Old 11-02-2018, 11:45 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LR4Top
I think they finally figured that out. Here is an article from March that I found back when I was searching for signs of Carplay this spring.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...-idUSKBN1GY0G7
Apparetnly BlackBerry does a lot of the behind the scenes work for car touchscreens. JLR signed a deal to have them do the development for them. I am guessing this is why we now have Carplay and an Over The Air update button.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CarPlay in the USA