Sponsored by:

condensation at head up display

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2023, 01:42 PM
Overlanding
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default condensation at head up display

Hi,

after being struck with a leaking windshield on my 2018 Disco, dealer replaced the windshield and removed most of the front passenger seat and insulation to dry out the cabin with sucess. Only when picking up the car we noticed that the HUD on the windshield was fuzzy. It looks like there is some condensation on the inside of the projector cover. It still works, and some parts - like name of next song or satnav directions are projected mostly ok. Just the lower part with the speed and roadsigns are unclear.

Any idea how to get rid of it, short of replacing the HUD unit? Has anybody faced the same issue and was able to fix it. Replacing the part is not an option as dealer told me, it’s quite a job, as one has to remove the entire dashboard.

Thanks in advance

Hokewe

Old 07-08-2023, 01:12 PM
Drifting
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Did the dealer replace the windshield under warranty or as part of the recall? As I understand it if it was warranty or recall work they're on the hook to replace anything damaged by the windshield leak. If the HUD is wet then it doesn't really matter if it's "quite a job" or not.

Old 07-08-2023, 01:35 PM
Overlanding

Hi Chucktastic,

The car is out of warranty, nor was it covered under a recall. So the work itself for R&R and drying was up to me. Luckily the windshield replacement was covered by insurance, as there was a damage from a stone right in drivers view. Dealer did not remove the dashboard snd we only noticed the water damage after the car was back together. Anyways the water ingress was on passenger side only, so we did not assume any damage on driver side.
But as the HUD still works but just not perfect as before I will not bite the bullet to replace it, I merely look for a in situ improvement of some sort

Old 07-09-2023, 06:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts

Can you drill a tiny hole through cover to let moisture out? And I really mean tiny.

Old 07-12-2023, 05:26 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

I would give it a couple of weeks to see if it dries out itself in the sun before doing anything to it. If water got in, there should be a way for it to get out...

Old 07-13-2023, 01:52 PM
Overlanding

Well, that also was my hope. Car is parked outside with the front facing the sun most of the day. And the repair was early this year. I was hoping that with summer and high temperatures in the car the humidity would disappear or at least be reduced, but it seems not to be the case. Hence this post.

Old 07-13-2023, 07:16 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

Got it. If it hasn't cleared by now then you will need a different strategy...
Looks like used units run for about $300 on eBay. But dealer seems to suggest it's a big job to get access. So question is prob whether you can live with it as is?

Old 07-14-2023, 01:26 PM
Overlanding

Been looking at the workshop manual and it looks like open heart surgery to get the HUD out, so even if I‘d get a replacement unit still I have my doubts if I would be able to do the job myself. And I just don‘t want to spend a huge amount of money to get it fixed by dealer. So unless I get an inspiration I might have to get used to it. As I said, it‘s working, just a far from perfect. But a HUD is nice but not elementary as such. Did not have it for 40 years and still survived