Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering going to Discovery V from GL450

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 09:24 AM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Considering going to Discovery V from GL450

Hi, new to the forum as I've been testing driving a CPO 2018 Discovery. Now driving a 2015 GL450, and do enjoy the great room, large third row, and so far excellent reliability. Getting up in miles, 88K, and looking to trade in. Have test drove the Q7 (too car like), X5 with third row (too small), XC90 (also too car like and noisy). Did drive before a Lexus GX 450 and 470, but don't like at all the styling of the new generation GX 470.

So far, am really impressed with the interior of the Disco, far and away better than the Mercedes, which appears so dated. Ride quality on Sport setting was good, although a little less stiff than the GL450 on sport setting. Very quiet with the high seat and wide windshield offer great viewing. Third row is smaller but serviceable, especially with the panoramic glass.

Options I'd look for to nearly match the GL is Drive Pro (adaptive cruise, a must have), Vision Assist, 7 seat Luxury Climate.
Wish list for other options: 4 zone AC, tow package, seat 5 package (massage).

My concerns are for the Disco are 1) reliability (CR says extremely poor), 2) resale value, 3) Dealer response to any repairs under CPO, and 4) need for extended warranty after 100K

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions,
Steve

Old 11-16-2018, 09:38 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Welcome Steve. We've only had our 2019 D5 (HSE Lux, TD6) for about a month so I really can't speak to your specific concerns (and I'm not sure many can given that this model is still relatively new, and more or less new from the ground up compared to prior generations).

I will say though that in the disaster that was the NYC tri-state area roads in yesterdays storm, the D5 handled itself with aplomb. It was a true beast on the roads in the midst of the worst of it. Felt very sure footed. Not a huge surprise I suppose...

The following users liked this post:
Psymac (11-16-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 10:25 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

My good friend is a die hard Mercedes fan, currently driving a 2017 S63 AMG. His wife is driving a 2016 Escalade and much to my surprise he isn't considering the GL as an option to replace it. He has been calling me weekly with questions about Land Rover, and is all over the map. One week it's a D5's he is looking at, then another call and its RR or RRS. This week its questions about the Velars. I'm trying to remain neutral in his quest, as he already bought a 2018 McLaren 570GT because of my thoughts on the car, so I don't want to be held responsible for another purchase. I've yet to decide on the D5 myself, but it is certainly growing on me. My own personal gripe is that LR is pricing the D5 into RR territory if you get one fully loaded. That's fine, but at that point give me the option of the SC V8 in the D5. That would seal the deal for me. The months I enjoyed this motor in the RRS made me want one bad, but I need the space the D5 offers.

Old 11-16-2018, 10:29 AM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by COSPILOT
My good friend is a die hard Mercedes fan, currently driving a 2017 S63 AMG. His wife is driving a 2016 Escalade and much to my surprise he isn't considering the GL as an option to replace it. He has been calling me weekly with questions about Land Rover, and is all over the map. One week it's a D5's he is looking at, then another call and its RR or RRS. This week its questions about the Velars. I'm trying to remain neutral in his quest, as he already bought a 2018 McLaren 570GT because of my thoughts on the car, so I don't want to be held responsible for another purchase. I've yet to decide on the D5 myself, but it is certainly growing on me. My own personal gripe is that LR is pricing the D5 into RR territory if you get one fully loaded. That's fine, but at that point give me the option of the SC V8 in the D5. That would seal the deal for me. The months I enjoyed this motor in the RRS made me want one bad, but I need the space the D5 offers.
That's funny about your friend! 1st world problem for sure

Hear you about the pricing of the D5. Ours had an MSRP of about $80k which is obviously pretty much fully loaded. But we love it. And, compared to other vehicles configured to $80k, the D5's combination of utility/capability, luxury, features, etc. was a winning combo for us. Agreed that the SC V8 would be phenomenal, but would probably add another $10k to the price ::

Old 11-16-2018, 10:42 AM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I do need the three row seating, otherwise would consider the RR or Velar.

Old 11-16-2018, 11:15 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Psymac
My concerns are for the Disco are 1) reliability (CR says extremely poor), 2) resale value, 3) Dealer response to any repairs under CPO, and 4) need for extended warranty after 100K
Reliability was a concern for me as well, and I've already been bit by some LR gremlins and had to have 2 of the remote transmitters replaced. Most of the issues I see being reported are within the electronics and not so much in the drive-train (except for cases of leaking transmissions and fuel getting in the oil, which have service bulletins on them). I will say that I'm still very happy with the Discovery because it's proven to be a unique mix of comfort and versatility. Dealer service has been great, but that may be because I've got a specific LR/Jaguar service location nearby and all they do is service. When I had the issue with the key FOB not being recognized (and thus the car not able to start), the service department kept it for a few days after replacing the sensors and would take it on a loop twice a day to make sure everything was working (I was able to track it via Journey app). They really wanted to get if fixed and not just get it back out the door (though I imagine service would vary by location). I've had it out camping in the desert the last few weekends and towing a trailer (td6 model) where it's been great. Great mileage and able to haul the kids and their friends around without being too bulky. I think long-term reliability is still a bit of a risk being a newer model in production and only time will tell, but extended warranty wouldn't be a bad idea.

Old 11-16-2018, 11:20 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I feel like I'm cheating on Land Rover, but I plan to keep my LR3, so maybe the cheating isn't so severe... We are looking hard at the new Expeditions and Navigators. I really need the space they offer for ski trips, family road trips, etc. Nothing on the market will ever meet what Rover does, ever. I looked hard at Tahoes/Yukons/Escalades, and while I haven't closed that book yet, I feel the Ford offering is superior. The handling of a Ford Expedition or Lincoln Navigator is IMO superior to the GM offering. Neither holds a candle to Land Rover and even my 12 year old Rover would outperform any of the domestic offerings. I do like X5's having spent time in one in Australia, and the new Volvo XC90 looks sharp. All of that said, what I'm really longing for is something that can do what my Excursion could do space wise. No question Mercedes and Land Rover build incredible vehicles and I will forever own one, but something larger in my case avoids buying another Crew Cab pickup for my work needs.

If I do buy a new D5, I feel like I'm stuck with still buying something else as well for work. Showing up in a $80K pickup truck for a project is no big deal, but showing up in any Land Rover, even my old one, always gives the impression that I'm overcharging the client. One would think that a Navigator or Escalade would give the same impression, but it doesn't.

Old 11-16-2018, 11:32 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

I probably wouldn't have looked at the D5 if I didn't want the ability to take it offroad and wanted a 3rd row. I was not considering a MB or BMW offering, as I don't rate any of them to be offroad capable (apart from the MB G, which is whole different story). The only other real offerings I was considering was the Lexus LX/GX, but both are rather long in the tooth (and my wife wasn't comfortable in the GX, as she will probably put most of the miles on it). The LX simply would 't fit in our parking, and the 3rd row seats setup as a no go for my wife.

Still need to take it offroad, but for easy to mild terrain I think it will perform very well with the air suspension and traction aids (low range, locker, etc).

As a side note, we found the D5 ride a bit harsh, but after setting the tire pressure for light load it improved quite a bit (20" wheels). The dealer seem to have set it for full load, which is pretty high PSI.

Old 11-16-2018, 04:02 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by andries
I probably wouldn't have looked at the D5 if I didn't want the ability to take it offroad and wanted a 3rd row. I was not considering a MB or BMW offering, as I don't rate any of them to be offroad capable (apart from the MB G, which is whole different story). The only other real offerings I was considering was the Lexus LX/GX, but both are rather long in the tooth (and my wife wasn't comfortable in the GX, as she will probably put most of the miles on it). The LX simply would 't fit in our parking, and the 3rd row seats setup as a no go for my wife.

Still need to take it offroad, but for easy to mild terrain I think it will perform very well with the air suspension and traction aids (low range, locker, etc).

As a side note, we found the D5 ride a bit harsh, but after setting the tire pressure for light load it improved quite a bit (20" wheels). The dealer seem to have set it for full load, which is pretty high PSI.
Was it an HSE Lux with the air suspension? I find its ride surprisingly nice...though it's pricey.

Old 11-16-2018, 04:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by 2019D5
Was it an HSE Lux with the air suspension? I find its ride surprisingly nice...though it's pricey.
Yep, HSE Lux with air suspension. Deliberately stayed with 20" wheels for more sidewall offroad, and hoping for a little better ride on road. After setting the tire pressure the ride definitely improved a lot. Still a bit firm and not as plush as the Lexus. Wish it had adjustable shocks to set for different conditions, but we love the ride now.