New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering looking at a Discovery

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2021, 10:10 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

A fault on mine is that occasionally the inner tailgate doesn’t even try to close when I close the main tailgate, and whether it originally opened automatically or by me pushing the button makes no difference, it’s just random. Fairly rare. Maybe 1 time in 30. The weird thing is if I press the button to close the inner one it does. So it’s like occasionally the car doesn’t realize it’s down and so doesn’t try to close it when the main tailgate closes....

The following users liked this post:
angelboing (04-03-2021)
Old 04-03-2021, 10:35 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 140 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by dminahan
Thanks everyone for the feedback so far.

One forgotten question, on the 2nd row back seat can you fold the center position seat top down without folding down the other passenger seat since it is 60/40 split? Oddly that feature of my Audi is a nice feature when hauling everyone and the dogs.

I certainly have seen some people come tearing into the school parking lot in Discoveries like it was a performance SUV so I think one can get used to the driving characteristics. I could stand to slow down my driving anyway. Part of me was wondering if any model would raise and lower the air suspension based on either driving speed or sport mode. My Audi does as it has the dynamic chassis and I believe the Volvo with the certain package did as well.

But this information is great. Thanks.
AFAIK no Discovery 5 has an active suspension that would auto-lower the suspension on highway like a "sport" mode, probably because there isn't much sporty about a Disco :-) . The car has three height settings: normal, off-road and access and those are handled manually. The car does lower itself automatically to access mode when a seat belt is unbuckled or a door is opened with the car stationary (auto access height). It will raise itself back once you start driving (this feature can be disabled). Apparently Disco 5s 2018 and onwards could be ordered with an "adaptive dynamics" option which "continuously monitors the current road conditions and driving style, and automatically adjusts the vehicle's suspension settings accordingly. Adaptive dynamics also detects rough road and off-road conditions, and adjusts the suspension settings for greater ride comfort.", but my understanding is that what that does is it adjusts the dampers (to reduce body roll), it does not change the height.

The car will raise itself automatically to off road height depending on the terrain response program and whether Low range is enabled.

Last edited by Juancl; 04-04-2021 at 09:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
angelboing (04-05-2021)
Old 04-04-2021, 05:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 152 Likes on 123 Posts

And if you lock the height down low, it insists on raising it once you get above 10-15mph. So I assume that the suspension setup is designed for the normal height, not for driving at a lowered height.