Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Couple Issues/Questions DIY 2018 TD6 HSE

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2024, 05:22 PM
Overlanding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Couple Issues/Questions DIY 2018 TD6 HSE

Greetings from TX... I'm sorry I have not been a big part of the forum over the past few years. I usually try to become a contributing member on my (car) forums. I guess I've just basically used the dealer for pretty much everything over the past 5 years with our Disco... And even though it's still under extended factory warranty, I've decided to do my own oil changes for the next 1.5 years, so I can keep an eye on things and make sure it's getting done closer to 6-7K intervals. Having said that, I've got two issues/questions from some quick DIY over the past few weeks. I'm hoping the forum members have some input.

Issue #1... I had to replace the battery last week.... attempted a recharge (good excuse to buy a trickle charger; been wanting one for awhile), wouldn't hold the charge. Decided to do the battery myself; swapped for a new one... all is well. HOWEVER, obviously, I did not register the (new) battery with the ECU. I've been able to do that with other vehicles I've owed and DIY Apps/OBDII readers. But LR is pretty unique on those, and I'm not sure it's worth spending the money when the truck isn't going to be around much longer. What's the consensus on not registering the new battery, considering we are only keeping the car for about 1 to 1.5 more years? I've read a few threads on the forum, and most that said they've done a battery swap themselves have NOT had the new battery registered, and it's basically caused zero issues. So, I'm mostly leaning towards not worrying about it.

EDIT: I've done a decent amount of reading on Issue 1 and 2.... the battery one isn't super significant to me based on what I've read... but the thing with issue #2 is, I read that perhaps if you don't do a firm oil change reset, the truck's computer thinks the oil and filter are still dirty and will compensate the engine's power delivery as such. I'm not sure I buy all that or not. Sounds plausible; but we haven't noticed any reduction in power or delivery of power... and I'm pretty perceptive with my cars. Curious on thoughts/opinions on that topic.

Issue #2... Did my first DIY oil change today... pretty straightforward and really easy using the vacuum method. I then attempted to reset the oil service reminder (used this forum/google/youtube to find out the technique) and COULDN'T get it to take. It will do the reset for a few mins, but then go back to showing "service needed" for some reason. Some back story there... the "service reminder" has been on since the LAST TIME the dealer serviced (pretty sure it was an oil change) our Disco. But the dealer has been so bad to deal with lately, I didn't feel like going back to have it turned off/reset... so we just left it/not worried about it. Curious if there is a Land Rover issue with the service module...?

Issue #3... The speed limit sign recognition system seems to be not working anymore. Does anyone think that may be a post-effect of the low battery/new battery swap? Or is that a subscription I wasn't aware of that has lapsed? Curious on thoughts there, as I can't seem to find much on the internet about it.

Last edited by TXRed; 02-19-2024 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-20-2024, 03:02 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

On the service reset: mine doesn't reset either, I gave up on it. I've heard a software update is required, I'll ask if ever the vehicle finds itself at a dealer.

The following users liked this post:
TXRed (02-20-2024)
Old 02-20-2024, 10:08 PM
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also have an '18 diesel and the oil life reset doesn't work. Didn't seem to affect anything power wise after the fact, just had the annoying service required message. Got a Gap tool and it let me reset it no problem.

The following users liked this post:
TXRed (02-21-2024)
Old 02-21-2024, 05:41 AM
Overlanding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by budroothedog
I also have an '18 diesel and the oil life reset doesn't work. Didn't seem to affect anything power wise after the fact, just had the annoying service required message. Got a Gap tool and it let me reset it no problem.
Thanks. I'd invest in one of those, but since the SUV is only going to be around about one more year, I've only got probably one more oil change to go (at most two)... so it's probably not worth my money spent. Good to know that exists however, because that is basically what I own (already) for my BMW and Audi. Just couldn't find something similar for the LR.

Old 02-21-2024, 06:32 AM
Winching
Received 289 Likes on 179 Posts

JLR is not going to fix the service reset. I bought Launch CRP 909, it resets it. GAP tool does also.

Dealer will reset it for free. ( might have to call CS )

Trust me on this.