Sponsored by:

Decisions...decisions.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2020, 08:21 PM
Mudding
Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho123
Well...If I could add my .02.
I got the Ext. Warranty from the LR dealer. It is the 100K 7 year deal. 250.00 deductible. BUT...I am able to use the LR dealer.
I would think long and hard about an "outside" Ext. Warranty...You might find your on the short end of the stick. I am not afraid of paying the 250 ded...But I am afraid of the 5K items.
An extended warranty is not the same as collision insurance where an insurer may try to bluff you into thinking they can force you to get the damage repaired at a collision repair shop of their choice (they can't). Warranty repairs are always done by a factory-certified service department and, for me, that's my local dealer. For mechanical repairs covered under the PenFed warranty the dealer will submit the claim to the warranty provider, who will pay the dealer.

Old 12-12-2020, 11:02 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

My point was these are not exactly easy to work on. Try getting parts if your not a LR dealer.

Old 12-13-2020, 10:47 AM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

You're so right. In a funny way, like the windshields, try getting parts even if you are a JLR dealer! It was almost better when they shared Ford and BMW components.

Old 12-13-2020, 12:06 PM
Mudding

I enjoy driving a niche vehicle and being a bit of a maverick (in contrast to the ubiquitous Ford lemmings and Jeep sheep) but Groucho123 and dinkeldorf both highlight a dilemma faced by Land Rover owners. While we might prefer to spend extended periods of time (if not live) a good distance from civilization, where we can take advantage of our vehicles' capabilities, we need to not be uneconomically far from qualified and suitably equipped Land Rover maintenance facilities. In most cases this means factory authorized dealers, especially since late model, tech-saturated models are no longer field repairable. Nevada, which has spectacular scenery and many thousands of miles of unmaintained desert roads, is a Land Rover owner's paradise, but since the closest dealer outside of Vegas is hundreds of miles away in SoCal, I've pretty much restricted myself to adventure destinations within a day's drive of home.

Old 01-02-2021, 02:18 PM
4wd Low
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ar077
Thanks for the updated information! The terms have changed since I last checked but it's still a good deal. It's still covers to 100,000 miles but with a 5-year time limit, but the price has gone down from over $4000 to $2995 (and still with no deductibles). I read through--and have no problem with--the limitations and exclusions. If there are no other changes to the downside I'll be getting it to start on the day the factory warranty expires next June. I've done business with PenFed for decades and I trust them to stand behind services they provide.
Off-topic, but just noting your sig. Aardvark. Awesome, brings back happy memories of seeing the E models at Upper Heyford over here and the occasional F at either Alconbury or Lakenheath (memory fails me!).

Old 01-02-2021, 03:13 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Equilibrium
Off-topic, but just noting your sig. Aardvark. Awesome, brings back happy memories of seeing the E models at Upper Heyford over here and the occasional F at either Alconbury or Lakenheath (memory fails me!).
Lakenheath (two tours). I was there during the Libya raid but I wasn't one of the lucky few who got to make the trip.

The following users liked this post:
Equilibrium (01-03-2021)