Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco 5 Si6 Engine Oil DIY

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2018, 05:19 PM
4wd High
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disco 5 Si6 Engine Oil DIY

After hours of searching for the "Castrol Edge Pro E SAE 0W20" I came up empty handed. The manual says to use only STJLR.51.5122 rated oil.

These are our options:
Fuchs TITAN GT1 EVO SAE 0W-20 (This is the only one I could find in the US, also the cheapest of the options)
Castrol Edge Professional E 0W20 (Dealers only by the barrel)
Mobil 1 ESP X2
Motul 107339 OEM Specific

Hope this saves someone else hours of searching.

I'll update here with the full DIY once I get the oil.
Tools:
Engine Oil Extractor
90mm oil filter wrench
Oil filter
Oil 8 Liters

Old 10-12-2018, 09:21 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by John Kim
After hours of searching for the "Castrol Edge Pro E SAE 0W20" I came up empty handed. The manual says to use only STJLR.51.5122 rated oil.

These are our options:
Fuchs TITAN GT1 EVO SAE 0W-20 (This is the only one I could find in the US, also the cheapest of the options)
Castrol Edge Professional E 0W20 (Dealers only by the barrel)
Mobil 1 ESP X2
Motul 107339 OEM Specific

I'll be at the Denver dealer Monday and plan to see what they sell by the quart and see it's specs.

Hope this saves someone else hours of searching.

I'll update here with the full DIY once I get the oil.
Tools:
Engine Oil Extractor
90mm oil filter wrench
Oil filter
Oil 8 Liters

Is this the Mobil Oil:? Mobil 1 Extended Performance 0W-20 Full Synthetic Motor Oil, 5 qt
Walmart # 551765770

I didn't see ESP X2.
One thing about the oil spec: Some specs might be designed for the extended oil change interval of 15K miles or more. If we change on a 5K schedule the 15K spec might not be so important.
I did look up oil for 2017 Disco V with gas engine on both Mobil and Castrol's websites and both claim they don't have an oil for this vehicle.

I plan to be at the Denver LR dealer Monday and will see if they have any oil by the quart and what the spec is.

Last edited by ponderosajack; 10-12-2018 at 09:23 PM. Reason: added text
Old 10-13-2018, 10:51 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

I’m all about the DIY... but you might want to consider having an independent LR shop do the service. This way you have a paper trail of service done for warranty purposes.

Old 10-13-2018, 10:56 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by abran
I’m all about the DIY... but you might want to consider having an independent LR shop do the service. This way you have a paper trail of service done for warranty purposes.
just write down what you did and when. If anything actually were to happen to the engine they’ll pull a sample from it anyway and will be able to tell if it had been changed anywhere near when it should have been.

Old 10-13-2018, 11:03 AM
Baja

That could work, but what’s to stop an owner from creating such documents post issue?

Although a sample will tell a lot, it will not tell how many miles an oil has endured, not to mention in a overheat catastrophic failure scenario, the oil will most likely be toast even if changed the day before.

Old 10-13-2018, 01:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by abran
That could work, but what’s to stop an owner from creating such documents post issue?

Although a sample will tell a lot, it will not tell how many miles an oil has endured, not to mention in a overheat catastrophic failure scenario, the oil will most likely be toast even if changed the day before.
it’s not that overly complicated I just have a little notepad I always list maintenance actions performed on. Full synthetic isn’t just going to break down no matter how much drains out or anything else there are still properties you can test for. https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum.../forum_summary for anything you’ve ever wanted to know regarding oil. A lot of it is needless worry just change your oil, document it, and you’re fine. It’s not on you to prove you did something it’s up to the dealer to prove you didn’t.

Old 10-13-2018, 05:52 PM
Baja

Ok...

Old 10-15-2018, 07:20 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a TD6, going to do my oil change soon. Look forward to see the writeup.
It seems that for the TD6, the cheapest oil is actually to buy the inflated Castrol from the dealership...

Old 10-15-2018, 01:31 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

As is the case with many businesses trying to corner a market, they identify a specification (arbitrary) and have products labeled for their use or specification - you must use this oil with this labeled specification. It follows that they (Land Rover) are the only company that carries the product you want (must have) for your vehicle. Being type "A" and caring about what we do with our expensive new vehicles - we search specifically for that "arbitrary specification" label, but lo and behold it can't be found anywhere except the (st)dealership. Castrol Edge is the official oil for Land Rover and for the Td6 they specifically call out 0W30 and Castrol makes an oil specifically for turbo diesel applications - seems logical. I bought two 5 gallon jugs at Walmart for about $25 each. Filters are ordered and on the way and I will change this week or next as time allows. Just need to figure out how to reset the service interval and should be good for another 8000 miles - but LR probably has some proprietary way to block this too. I also found genuine LR filters (San Diego LR) for $11 and the local dealership wanted $35 each -shop around and be smart. Lastly, if a dealership or company isn't honoring a warranty claim because they "think the service wasn't accomplished", then they should include the service with the vehicle until the warranty period has expired - like most premium brands (not LR). Love my vehicle, but the shenanigans I've seen on the little things makes the Land Rover outfit seem cheap and lessens the marque.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts

I've done a lot of looking too. My LR dealer in Denver sells the Castrol Edge Professional E but they want $14 per quart.

So far, I believe there is only one Fuchs Titan GT1 EVO 0W-20 oil and on the Fuchs website it lists the STJLR51.5122 approval.

Searching for this oil I found carid.com with a 4 liter for $33 plus shipping. But when I enter my 2017 Disco it says it doesn't fit.
I've emailed Fuchs to make sure that there's only one Titan GT1 EVO 0W-20 oil. If there's only one, I'll order it from carid.

By the way, we need 8.5 quarts but that's the same as two 4 Liter containers.

Quick Reply: Disco 5 Si6 Engine Oil DIY