New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco 5 Si6 Engine Oil DIY

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2018, 08:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts

Now, with $100 of parts for a do it yourself oil change, maybe I should extend the change interval to 8K miles.
I used to be a 2K interval guy before synthetics. Then I became a 5K interval guy with my LR3. Plus, with an 8.5 quart capacity, I think the extra oil helps it last longer than a 4 quart system would.

Old 10-15-2018, 09:34 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I can appreciate all the comments and agree...BUT...Ya all should own a Harley! LOL...they get almost $300 for a 6 q oil change and a quart of tranny fluid!

Old 10-17-2018, 05:36 PM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

BG has it!

Rep says this meets the spec and beyond(he sent the spec into his tech team and thats the answer). He says the oil is on Bob's the oil guy as well.

Old 10-17-2018, 05:53 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

I asked Castrol regarding my Td6 oil and they answered:

Thank you for contacting Castrol North America.

Castrol EDGE Professional oil products, such as Castrol EDGE Professional C1 5W-30, are Castrol's most advanced range of oils which are certified CO2 neutral engine oils and micro filtered to the highest quality standards. As these oils are formulated in partnership with OEM partners like Land Rover, they are only available for purchase in North America through Land Rover and other new car dealership locations.

Castrol EDGE 5W-30 C1 is a newly available product which like Castrol EDGE Professional C1 5W-30, it too meets the Jaguar/Land Rover STJLR.03.5005 requirement but is sold by retailers such as Wal-Mart, AutoZone, Advance Auto Parts, O’Reilly Auto Parts, Pep Boys, Strauss, NAPA Auto Parts and by select quick lubes, dealerships and auto service centers around the country. Please note that the aforementioned national retailers who carry Castrol products order their products from a warehouse, who in turn, order the product from us. Generally, retailers base the product line that they sell heavily upon consumer demand therefore we are unable to advise you of a specific retail location that carries a specific Castrol product so we would suggest that you call the retail location(s) directly to inquire about specific product availability.

Thank you again for contacting Castrol. We value your patronage!

Castrol Consumer Relations

Last edited by Black 18 Disco; 10-17-2018 at 06:26 PM.
The following users liked this post:
PHILLYMEL (03-06-2022)
Old 10-18-2018, 07:52 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Black 18 Disco
I asked Castrol regarding my Td6 oil and they answered:

Thank you for contacting Castrol North America.

Castrol EDGE Professional oil products, such as Castrol EDGE Professional C1 5W-30, are Castrol's most advanced range of oils which are certified CO2 neutral engine oils and micro filtered to the highest quality standards. As these oils are formulated in partnership with OEM partners like Land Rover, they are only available for purchase in North America through Land Rover and other new car dealership locations.

Castrol EDGE 5W-30 C1 is a newly available product which like Castrol EDGE Professional C1 5W-30, it too meets the Jaguar/Land Rover STJLR.03.5005 requirement but is sold by retailers such as Wal-Mart, AutoZone, Advance Auto Parts, O’Reilly Auto Parts, Pep Boys, Strauss, NAPA Auto Parts and by select quick lubes, dealerships and auto service centers around the country. Please note that the aforementioned national retailers who carry Castrol products order their products from a warehouse, who in turn, order the product from us. Generally, retailers base the product line that they sell heavily upon consumer demand therefore we are unable to advise you of a specific retail location that carries a specific Castrol product so we would suggest that you call the retail location(s) directly to inquire about specific product availability.

Thank you again for contacting Castrol. We value your patronage!

Castrol Consumer Relations

Glad to know there is alternative to buying from stealership. Did a search, found SDS from Castrol site dated back to Feb 2018, but cant find any retailer yet.

PHILLYMEL (03-06-2022)
Old 10-18-2018, 09:00 AM
7th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Mobil-1 5W40 turbo diesel truck. Wix WL 7490 filter. Both of these products are as good as any in the industry. The same motor, built in the same factory, will soon be available in the F150. I'm sure Ford will say you have to use Motorcraft oil and filters. Baloney. I change on 7500 mi interval.

gmfain (01-28-2020)
Old 10-18-2018, 03:44 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
Old 10-19-2018, 02:52 PM
7th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's great data and the Castrol product is no doubt top quality. I'm just a mobil-1 guy and have been for a long time. I have run 100's of thousands of miles in Powerstrokes using it, and I run it in everything I have, cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats, lawnmowers, portable generators you name it. Knock wood not a single failure to date. BTW, the turbo diesel truck oil meets the CK-4 and ACEA E9 spec for diesel engines, which I believe are the most stringent at the moment. The ACEA C class specs that Castrol references for our application are for oils that are recommended for diesel or gas engines. For now I'm gonna stick with what I know. I just turned 20K miles on my Td6

Old 10-19-2018, 05:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts

Probably we should split this discussion into gas and diesel since the spec is totally different as is the suppliers that meet the spec.

Old 12-31-2018, 08:36 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Oil change

You are correct, the TD6 requires STJLR.03.5005

​​​​​​I change my oil excessively early at 5k miles. The reason is it is a diesel and it has a diesel smell to the oil, so I am willing to buy oil versus a new engine.

​​​​​​The gas engine holds more oil than the diesel's 6 liters of oil.

I also need to look at my socket that i use forfthe filter, to get the size, as I was asked that question earlier.

Also, I put jack stands on the frame rails. You can see the points when underneath.

Originally Posted by ponderosajack
Probably we should split this discussion into gas and diesel since the spec is totally different as is the suppliers that meet the spec.
​​

Quick Reply: Disco 5 Si6 Engine Oil DIY