Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco 5 Td6 Engine Oil DIY

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2018, 10:56 AM
Mudding
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Disco 5 Td6 Engine Oil DIY

I'm looking to see if anyone has done an oil change on their Td6 with a skid plate. I read through the Si6 thread and got some good info, but couldn't decipher what was specific to Si6 vs Td6. So a couple of questions?

1. Does anyone have pointers/tips for replacing oil/filter on Td6? I've done many oil changes in other cars but none on diesels.
2. What tools do I need? Is it as simple as remove drain plug and filter, wait for all oil to drain, then refill through cap? Or do I need a extractor tool?
3. I did a search a couple months back and didn't turn up any retailer that sold the oil. I'm assuming I need the Castrol Edge 5w30 C1?
4. I read somewhere that having the skid plate caused this to be a multi-hour job. Can someone confirm?

Thanks in advance!

Old 12-16-2018, 08:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts

Sorry I can't answer specifically for the Td6. If you pull off your oil filler cap and see a small (1/4 in. diameter ) tube underneath it will be the same tube as the Si6 and intended for sucking the oil out.
I have done many oil changes on many vehicles and never minded jacking/ pulling the skid plate off, and draining the oil from a drain plug. But for my Si6 I can't see any reason to go through this much effort when that drain tube is available for sucking the oil out. I bought a Mityvac 7201 that holds 2.3 gallons. I haven't used it on the oil yet but tried it out with water from a bucket. It is a quality tool and worth the cost. You can then pour out the used oil, or even easier, you can just pump it back out into your disposal container (that seems easier than pouring it through a funnel into a jug). I bought it online from tooldiscounter for $89 including shipping, and despite some negative reviews about tooldiscounter I gave them a try - they answered their phone, then I ordered online and got immediate email confirmation and tracking and fast shipping.

Old 12-17-2018, 05:58 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Oil change

I have changed mine a couple of times. The skid plate is easy to remove, very similar to the LR3 I had before.

I use Ravenol oil. J1a1571-001 which meets the diesel requirements. The oil filter is on the top of the engine in the middle. I can't remember the size of the socket, but you need to make sure it is straight as I have had trouble starting to thread it in.

I need to change mine now. Have the oil and filter in garage. With tire rotation it takes me less than an hour.

Originally Posted by BchBum11511
I'm looking to see if anyone has done an oil change on their Td6 with a skid plate. I read through the Si6 thread and got some good info, but couldn't decipher what was specific to Si6 vs Td6. So a couple of questions?

1. Does anyone have pointers/tips for replacing oil/filter on Td6? I've done many oil changes in other cars but none on diesels.
2. What tools do I need? Is it as simple as remove drain plug and filter, wait for all oil to drain, then refill through cap? Or do I need a extractor tool?
3. I did a search a couple months back and didn't turn up any retailer that sold the oil. I'm assuming I need the Castrol Edge 5w30 C1?
4. I read somewhere that having the skid plate caused this to be a multi-hour job. Can someone confirm?

Thanks in advance!

The following users liked this post:
gmfain (01-02-2020)
Old 12-17-2018, 10:42 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Jaacina:
If you are talking about a D5: Since you said you do an oil change and tire rotation in about an hour can you please be very specific about where you jack it up, where you put the jack stands, what order you jack and place stands? (maybe you don't bother with jack stands if you are just rotating tires and not getting under it). I have sort of figured out where to jack it and place stands but would like to hear what works for you. It's way harder to jack a D5 than an LR3 as there's no frame rails. Thanks,

Last edited by ponderosajack; 12-17-2018 at 10:44 PM. Reason: clarify question
Old 12-28-2018, 08:46 PM
Mudding
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by jaacina
I have changed mine a couple of times. The skid plate is easy to remove, very similar to the LR3 I had before.

I use Ravenol oil. J1a1571-001 which meets the diesel requirements. The oil filter is on the top of the engine in the middle. I can't remember the size of the socket, but you need to make sure it is straight as I have had trouble starting to thread it in.

I need to change mine now. Have the oil and filter in garage. With tire rotation it takes me less than an hour.
Do you use an extractor? Or do it by draining from the oil pan? Also, what size socket do you need for removing the filter? 32mm?

Originally Posted by ponderosajack
Sorry I can't answer specifically for the Td6. If you pull off your oil filler cap and see a small (1/4 in. diameter ) tube underneath it will be the same tube as the Si6 and intended for sucking the oil out.
I have done many oil changes on many vehicles and never minded jacking/ pulling the skid plate off, and draining the oil from a drain plug. But for my Si6 I can't see any reason to go through this much effort when that drain tube is available for sucking the oil out. I bought a Mityvac 7201 that holds 2.3 gallons. I haven't used it on the oil yet but tried it out with water from a bucket. It is a quality tool and worth the cost. You can then pour out the used oil, or even easier, you can just pump it back out into your disposal container (that seems easier than pouring it through a funnel into a jug). I bought it online from tooldiscounter for $89 including shipping, and despite some negative reviews about tooldiscounter I gave them a try - they answered their phone, then I ordered online and got immediate email confirmation and tracking and fast shipping.
Ordered the same model Mityvac from Amazon and it showed up today. I took the cap off but don't see a tube. Does it have a screw in it? Probably should have checked before ordering the extractor...

Edit: I think I found the tube. It's on the outside/left side (from front of car) of the engine. Watched an oil change video for a Range Rover with the TD6 engine. Looks the same as mine.

Last edited by BchBum11511; 12-28-2018 at 10:45 PM.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:08 PM
Recovery Vehicle

On gas engine it’s under the oil filler cap and is obvious. With your help we now know where the TD6 is located.

Old 12-29-2018, 08:21 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

The 5.0 was the first engine LR put out with the oil siphon tube. If you take the oil pan off you will see that the siphon tube does not go to the very bottom.

Its my opinion that this is one of the factors to early engine failures. Too much particle debris left behind from repeated siphon oil changes. For this reason I now alternate oil changes from siphon to drain plug.

Again, my opinion.

We are finishing a 2500 mile trip and the D5 will be at 7k miles, I am going to make that my oil change interval.

Old 12-29-2018, 02:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by abran
The 5.0 was the first engine LR put out with the oil siphon tube. If you take the oil pan off you will see that the siphon tube does not go to the very bottom.

Its my opinion that this is one of the factors to early engine failures. Too much particle debris left behind from repeated siphon oil changes. For this reason I now alternate oil changes from siphon to drain plug.

Again, my opinion.

We are finishing a 2500 mile trip and the D5 will be at 7k miles, I am going to make that my oil change interval.
All you see is the outside of the siphon tube not where it goes on the inside. There’s no reason to rush oil change intervals it’s a diesel. UPS doesn’t even change their oil they just swap filters. The system determines itself when it needs the change just stick with it. I can’t think of ANY engine that’s had a failure due to oil. What engine failures are you referring to? The ecodiesel has a lot of failures due to it shifting too soon into the next gear so it was low rpm/high tq causing the engine to lug which eventually wore out the main bearings. Changing your oil early only waste oil. These are synthetic oils that simply don’t break down like they use to. Before you bother with all that go by NAPA and get an oil sampling kit or get one from blackstone (recommenced) and see the breakdown on the oil yourself. Most oil samples show that even at max interval change there’s still plenty of life left. The system on these is more more conservative than most and the filter is your real culpurit. Most failures would be with the turbo not the engine.

Old 12-30-2018, 08:23 AM
Baja
Received 717 Likes on 622 Posts

I should have clarified, I have the Si6.

If you have followed the 5.0 motor they are failing at an alarming rate. Overheating(not oil related), timing component failures(oil related), and in the supercharged version crank bearings(oil related). Had these owners changed their oil at closer intervals I believe some of these issues could have been avoided.

The part that relates to this thread is that the siphon tube on the 5.0 does not go to the very bottom and I am assuming that is the case with the Td6 and Si6 although I have not taken an oil pan off of these. While synthetic oil does not break down like conventional oil, that does not mean that there are no contaminants from the engine in the oil.

Since I bought my LR3 used i have sent every oil change out for testing(blackstone) as I have been alternating between royal purple and BG Petrospecs. I started at 5k intervals and am now at 8500. Although the oil from both suppliers shows no breakdown, the longer the interval the more contaminants.

We bought the D5 to keep it. So, I am going to start oil changes at 7k, get the oil tested as I always do, and see if after a several changes any levels rise.

I believe this is cheap insurance on an expensive vehicle.

Last edited by abran; 12-30-2018 at 08:33 AM.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:04 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Ok let’s assume blackstone shows you have crankshaft bearing wear. What will you then do?

Quick Reply: Disco 5 Td6 Engine Oil DIY