New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco 5 Transfer Box Issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 01:48 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Still don’t have a resolution but Here is a cut and past of an email I received from the dealer’s service department yesterday:

“Just wanted to update you. The front differential that we ordered finally arrived on Wednesday evening. We completed installing it yesterday morning. We test drove it and the noise/vibration did not change. So we sent that information back to Land Rover. They got back to us last night before close. They want us to take the front sub-frame down and re-position it and then test drive. We plan to get started on that on Monday. Hope your day is going well. I will contact you once we have test driven again.”

Can someone help me to understand this?

Last edited by Bhaney59; 02-11-2018 at 10:15 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,465 Likes on 1,196 Posts

They were guessing the front diff was junk. That didn't fix it so now they are hoping the front subframe, holds all the front end bits like the engine suspension etc is misaligned and causing the problem

Old 02-12-2018, 10:03 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ArmyRover
They were guessing the front diff was junk. That didn't fix it so now they are hoping the front subframe, holds all the front end bits like the engine suspension etc is misaligned and causing the problem
This actually makes sense IMO. Sadly the younger mechanics in the industry don't know what to do unless a code is given. Certainly cars in general have become much more complicated over the last few decades, but good old mechanical skills seems to have become a lost art in a world filled with computers.

Old 02-26-2018, 07:55 PM
Drifting

Still no resolution from JLR - the dealer refused the trade and didn’t want to take my vehicle. Not sure what the path forward is. Still not repaired - actually not fully diagnosed yet. My app says they’ve put 1,200 testing miles on the vehicle trying to figure it out.

Day 75+

Old 02-26-2018, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

I would assume the Ohio State Attorney General has a consumer protection section that needs to be informed.

http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/I...uto/Lemon-Laws

Old 02-26-2018, 11:44 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm with ArmyRover at this point. Your patience exceeds mine, and I'm pretty tolerant and reasonable on some things. My wife was open to me buying a D5, but this, and other things popping up in this section has given me pause. Think I'll sit on the sidelines for a few months before doing anything.

I've only had 2 occasions in the last 20 years that caused me to escalate things, but thankfully I was good friends with the dealership (Chrysler and Jeep issue to be clear) in each case. Maybe a quick email to the owner of the dealership with a kind request for an in person meeting would be appropriate. Don't threaten anything, just ask for a discussion, that goes a long way. Discuss the facts without emotion and see what they say.

But whatever you do, be very aware of your state lemon laws, maybe even spend a few bucks with a lawyer familiar with lemon laws. I don't agree with it, but each state is different.

Old 02-28-2018, 10:07 AM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well the good news is that the 2018 Diesel is finally on the EPA approved list ! As of 2/26/18

So if you do fight for the trade at least they can actually make a new version of what you want.
I gave up on waiting and ordered a gas version a couple of week ago.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find...n=sbs&id=39902

Old 02-28-2018, 10:40 AM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bhaney59:
I sent you PM. I went through a lemon law issue a long time ago. You should be dealing with JLR headquarters and not the dealership. You need to send JLR headquarters a letter requesting relief under the OH lemon law with specific dates and what the attempted repair consisted of.

Ned:
That's the best news that I've heard in a long time. Going to contact the dealer to get an update on my build...

Old 03-09-2018, 08:35 PM
Drifting

THanks for the PM, giddy-up. I’ve followed through with what you recommended. We’ll see how it works out. Interestingly this is my first vehicle purchase in Ohio since moving from Westborough MA a few years ago.

Update for everyone: still driving a loaner. After 90 days they still can not diagnose the issue except to say the JLR engineers that have been flown in think it’s a build issue and may not be solveable... and therefore not resaleable. That has yet again delayed them on moving us forward. A new 2018 will be ordered for me but when is anyone’s guess. It could resolve any day since the dealer asked what I wanted to order last Saturday.

Old 03-09-2018, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

I do appreciate the updates, I've been curious how it's been progressing please keep it up.

Quick Reply: Disco 5 Transfer Box Issue