New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disco 5 Transfer Box Issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 08:33 PM
Drifting
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Feels like it’s time for another update...

The have not yet diagnosed the issue and seem to have stopped trying. They flew a bunch of engineers in who looked it over for three days but gave no resolution. Remember that I took delivery on Dec 1 and it went into the shop on Dec 12.

Per the dealer a 2018 diesel has been ordered for me with anticipated delivery in June. I’m still driving a loaner - in fact I’m on loaner number 3 now. They keep freaking out and asking for them back when I hit 5k miles.

JLR owes me a confirmation of all the details of the vehicle trade but I cannot get the rep, Al Tillerson, to return my call. Communication has royally sucked and that’s been one of my biggest beefs with the entire ordeal. I get that sometimes a vehicle is a lemon (or the assembly line crew spent too much time at the pub before they build mine) but for goodness sake make a phone call or two once a week to give me a status update. I have started to tell this story widely given how dissatisfied I am with the communication.

I have asked for a refund of all transaction and lending fees and a confirmation from JLR that my existing loan rate will be unchanged even though the bank says it will go up when the new one gets here. JLR needs to make that right for me and they don’t return my calls.

its very frustrating but at least it’s moving forward.

Old 03-28-2018, 08:35 PM
Drifting

... oh and kind of a funny story, apparently the engineers think that the best use for my vehicle is to ship it back to the engineering department in England so they can figure it out and learn from it.

It would be funnier if it was someone else’s vehicle. ☹️

At least the 12k miles I’ve driven in my new job the last few months have been on loaners.

The following users liked this post:
instantfob (05-30-2018)
Old 03-28-2018, 09:51 PM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

Sucks to hear that. At least the miles are going on their trucks

Old 03-29-2018, 10:33 AM
Drifting
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you been making loan payments? Is the loan through JLR or you bank? The loan should not change. At least it didn't in my case witch was through my bank. I was still able to drive my car while waiting for the replacement and continued to make loan payments.
What happens is there is what's called an "exchange of colleteral". Essentially, the tile for the new car is sent to the bank and the tile for the old car is sent back to JLR and you get the new car and JLR gets the old car. Nothing with the loan changes.
Thanks for the update and keep us posted...
One day you'll look back at this and laugh. But it reall sucks while it's going on, esspecially the lack of communication.

Old 05-30-2018, 05:35 PM
Drifting

To OP.
How's the collateral exchange working out?

My D-V is sitting at the dealership with a weeping transfercase/transmission since 5/11. I am currently patiently waiting on a new transfercase scheduled to arrive in a week or so. I have been driving a cute Disco Sport loaner for 20 odd days now.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:31 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default weeping transfer case..

can you describe your issue? were you finding oil in the floor or something??

Originally Posted by instantfob
To OP.
How's the collateral exchange working out?

My D-V is sitting at the dealership with a weeping transfercase/transmission since 5/11. I am currently patiently waiting on a new transfercase scheduled to arrive in a week or so. I have been driving a cute Disco Sport loaner for 20 odd days now.

Old 06-07-2018, 02:34 PM
Drifting

I found a pool of slick under my car after 2 weeks of ownership.
To confirm the leakage. I cleaned up the slick on my garage floor and placed a large piece of cardboard to collect fresh ones. The oil collects on the exhaust just aft of the O2 sensors. (lowest point of the exhaust).
When the vehicle is running the fluid burns off the hot exhaust eventually cools down and droplets will collect on the floor overnight.

Just got news from the dealership. The truck is still leaking around the transmission area after the transfer case swap. A new transmission is on-order.
This is going off-topic now since it's no longer a transfer case issue. I'll start a new thread if others have similar issue.

Last edited by instantfob; 06-07-2018 at 03:52 PM.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:23 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thanks for the feedback.

the reason i asked is because recently i found a tiny trace of oil on the garage and im wondering if this is the beginning of the issue you described.

Originally Posted by instantfob
I found a pool of slick under my car after 2 weeks of ownership.
To confirm the leakage. I cleaned up the slick on my garage floor and placed a large piece of cardboard to collect fresh ones. The oil collects on the exhaust just aft of the O2 sensors. (lowest point of the exhaust).
When the vehicle is running the fluid burns off the hot exhaust eventually cools down and droplets will collect on the floor overnight.

Just got news from the dealership. The truck is still leaking around the transmission area after the transfer case swap. A new transmission is on-order.
This is going off-topic now since it's no longer a transfer case issue. I'll start a new thread if others have similar issue.

Old 07-05-2018, 01:56 PM
Drifting

Update time again...

its july 5th and I’m still driving loaners (I say loaners because I’ve had 4 and am expecting to be swapping to my 5th tomorrow).

The bad news: they’ve stopped working on my vehicle - the 2017 Discovery Diesel I bought in November. The dealer told me they put more than $30,000 into repairs so far (entire drivetrain, including engine, wheels, tires, even some chassis work) and the noise continues to recur. Even the JLR engineers have been unable to find the root cause. The vehicle is currently sitting in the back of the dealer lot. No leaks, nothing obviously wrong with it, just the noise at highway speeds won’t go away.

The good news: the identical 2018 Discovery they ordered for me in the spring arrived in the middle of June. I don’t have it yet because paperwork is complex with loan-swap, title, taxes and fees have yet to be resolved by JLR. My perspective is that the deal was done in November and I’d like my vehicle without laying out any other money, the fee I paid for a dealer swap delivery refunded and a CPO warranty from JLR to regain confidence. I’m supposed to close that deal tomorrow but I suspect the paperwork is still slow and it’ll be a few more weeks. The customer care guy at JLR told me I will not be getting interest payments back from them because it’s not truly a lemon. This seems trite and cheap on their part given my experience but i’m being transparent.

Brian

The following users liked this post:
instantfob (07-05-2018)