New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery tailgate keeps opening!

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2022, 08:01 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discovery tailgate keeps opening!

Help! The automatic tailgate on my 2018 Disco keep opening & closing on its own. Nearly knocked me out whilst I was loading stuff in the back last week and today I went to pay for diesel at the garage and when I came out the tailgate had opened (glad my dogs weren’t in there). I’m going to book it in with Harwoods as on,h had it for 3 months but I’m convinced they are going to fob me off especially as it doesn’t happen every day. Does anyone have anything that can help? This is just one of several problems that I’ve had to send it back for since Jan 2022. Very frustrating and disappointing. Thanks all.

Old 04-14-2022, 10:38 AM
Drifting
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JamesHSussex
Help! The automatic tailgate on my 2018 Disco keep opening & closing on its own. Nearly knocked me out whilst I was loading stuff in the back last week and today I went to pay for diesel at the garage and when I came out the tailgate had opened (glad my dogs weren’t in there). I’m going to book it in with Harwoods as on,h had it for 3 months but I’m convinced they are going to fob me off especially as it doesn’t happen every day. Does anyone have anything that can help? This is just one of several problems that I’ve had to send it back for since Jan 2022. Very frustrating and disappointing. Thanks all.
Yes, I had issues too and solved it by pulling the fuse. See this:
https://landroverforums.com/forum/ne...e2/#post816701

Old 04-14-2022, 11:06 AM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2018 Discovery HSE...owned for 3.5 years so far...this just started happening in the last 2 months or so.
Driving me nuts.
Of course when I attempt to use this feature intentionally, it never works.

The following users liked this post:
JamesHSussex (04-14-2022)
Old 04-14-2022, 11:54 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Disco V
2018 Discovery HSE...owned for 3.5 years so far...this just started happening in the last 2 months or so.
Driving me nuts.
Of course when I attempt to use this feature intentionally, it never works.
well at least I know it’s not me! I’m booking it in asap and thankfully have photo of my bleeding head & another where it refused to open or shut using fob but when I closed rear passenger door it flew open! Now I remember why I got rid of my 2016 RR Sport 2 years ago for smaller but scary fast Macan. Problem is there’s just something about a LR

Old 09-01-2022, 07:31 AM
1st Gear
Default Land Rover Tailgate Issue

Originally Posted by JamesHSussex
James we have the same exact problem, our 2018 Disco diesel opens the tailgate randomly and the dealership refuses to help us because they can't get the vehicle to do this while is in the shop. There is plenty of evidence of this problem out there and the service department is aware of it however they just won't fix it unless they can see it with their own eyes.

Old 09-19-2022, 05:57 PM
2nd Gear

I have the same problem.

Auto closing, auto opening, half opening.

Local Land Rover dealer just says "could not duplicate" and moves on.

Old 09-20-2022, 03:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 152 Likes on 123 Posts

Can you just disconnect the gesture sensor?

Old 09-20-2022, 04:45 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by BritCars
Can you just disconnect the gesture sensor?
I don't (to my knowledge) even have that feature.

Old 09-20-2022, 10:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 152 Likes on 123 Posts

I thought they all had it. Maybe just the HSE model?
It's foot activated - wave your foot behind the rear wheel on the side of the vehicle and it triggers the boot to open. So when your hands are full of boxes you don't need the hands to press a button

Is it possible you are accidentally activating that by mistake?