Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2021, 05:50 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts
Default Diesel

So I just recently started doing this thing where I mix regular Diesel and Premium Diesel by that I mean I fill up with regular diesel then when half my tank empties I fill with Premium Diesel and rinse and repeat I've done it for 2 weeks now. So Im wondering if this is good for the engine? Diesel Prices are super high here in Canada so I was just wondering.

Old 05-04-2021, 07:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

What does the owner manual say the engine needs? Premium or regular diesel? If it says it's ok with regular then just go with that. If it asks for premium then I'd suggest using it

Your current strategy is tough as you have the car running half a tank of just regular. Then a full tank of half regular and half premium. Seems strange to keep shifting back and forth like that.

Old 05-05-2021, 03:32 AM
Winching
Received 283 Likes on 177 Posts

I tried running only premium diesel for 1 month verses regular diesel. I found no difference at all IMO not worth the added cost, and or limited availability in my area. ( I've only found it at Exxon stations in my town in Georgia, US)

Old 05-05-2021, 07:22 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

I was thinking that I can mix up the engine and let it have premium diesel full tank and then next time I need to fill up ill fill full tank with reg diesel and see how it runs

Old 05-05-2021, 08:40 AM
Winching
Received 283 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by LR disco 5
I was thinking that I can mix up the engine and let it have premium diesel full tank and then next time I need to fill up ill fill full tank with reg diesel and see how it runs
Try it for yourself.
I did the same test. No better performance and or fuel economy for me.

Old 05-05-2021, 11:02 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

The octane difference in regular vs premium gasoline means the vehicle can run more advanced ignition timing on higher octane fuel (if programmed to “require” premium otherwise it’s of not benefit) and retard the ignition if on regular, so this results in slightly better power and mpg on premium. You also tend to get better detergents in the premium
Diesel ignites through compression so there is no ignition timing for the computer to control. The only difference between regular and premium diesel is the detergents which may be worth paying for given how easy it is to clog an injector (and how expensive they are) however you won’t see any improvement in power or mpg using it.

The following users liked this post:
angelboing (05-05-2021)
Old 05-05-2021, 02:38 PM
Mudding
Received 67 Likes on 38 Posts

Look for diesel from a station where you think it sells enough of it regularly so that it doesn't get old.

Biodiesel sucks but Renewable diesel is completely the opposite - it's like Super Duper Premium Diesel. Unfortunately, outside of Southern California (Propel Fuels,) it's just not readily available in too many places.

While biodiesel does suck, the one benefit it does provide is that it adds back a little lubricity that was lost when the US went to ULSD and took the sulfur out. I look at the pump every time I fill up; B5 is alright but no more than that.

If you find a premium diesel additive already in there I'm sure it does nothing but good. But I still always run a quality diesel additive (Hot Shot Secret's Everyday Diesel Treatment,) to add cetane to minimize PM after the combustion cycle (which means less DPF regenerations,) add lubricity to protect the HPFP, and helps stabilizes the fuel to disperse moisture. Little more power and a little better mileage. I get the 4oz bottles and use about 2oz per fill.

https://www.hotshotsecret.com/everyd...sel-treatment/

https://www.exxon.com/en/synergy-die...ient-passenger

Last edited by AirRyan; 05-05-2021 at 02:40 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by AirRyan:
angelboing (05-05-2021), gmfain (05-06-2021)
Old 09-26-2022, 09:44 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by AirRyan
Look for diesel from a station where you think it sells enough of it regularly so that it doesn't get old.

Biodiesel sucks but Renewable diesel is completely the opposite - it's like Super Duper Premium Diesel. Unfortunately, outside of Southern California (Propel Fuels,) it's just not readily available in too many places.

While biodiesel does suck, the one benefit it does provide is that it adds back a little lubricity that was lost when the US went to ULSD and took the sulfur out. I look at the pump every time I fill up; B5 is alright but no more than that.

If you find a premium diesel additive already in there I'm sure it does nothing but good. But I still always run a quality diesel additive (Hot Shot Secret's Everyday Diesel Treatment,) to add cetane to minimize PM after the combustion cycle (which means less DPF regenerations,) add lubricity to protect the HPFP, and helps stabilizes the fuel to disperse moisture. Little more power and a little better mileage. I get the 4oz bottles and use about 2oz per fill.

https://www.hotshotsecret.com/everyd...sel-treatment/

https://www.exxon.com/en/synergy-die...ient-passenger
I'm using Renewable Diesel - there's a 76 station a block from me (Southern California) I even signed up with a 76 Card to get 25c a gallon discount.