Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Discovery V vs Toyota or Jeep in Alaskan Winters

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2021, 10:23 PM
4wd Low
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Discovery V vs Toyota or Jeep in Alaskan Winters

Hey guys, I have been a current owner of a Discovery V from 2018 and have already put in close to 50K miles on that. I love driving the car and it has never failed on me big time other than minor technical and electrical glitches. I have the disco in Seattle WA but most of my travels take me to around Fairbanks Alaska and even interior Alaska in search of the Aurora in winter. I always end up renting a Jeep Cherokee Latitude from a local Alaskan rental company and it has worked well so far, at least on road. I know that's not the car you want in Alaska but given how many times I go, it gets expensive. They do provide studded tires though which is a huge benefit in itself when on road. Since covid, I have been working remotely and worked from a remote cabin in Alaska last winter for close to 3 months. I loved my time and intend to do that again next year. I had the Jeep with me throughout but I was missing the rover all the time. There were so many inner roads, ice roads, etc that I could have tackled with the disco which I did not dare try with the Jeep latitude. I actually got stuck trying to do that once and you don't want to get stuck in those winters as it can literally kill you if you are not prepared enough. So I decided I will take my car with me next time. Either drive it to Fairbanks from Seattle if the border is open or ship it in time. And it's there that I am not sure whether I want to keep the disco or trade it in for a Toyota or a jeep, mostly something like a Tacoma, tundra, 4runner, rubicon, gladiator, etc. Don't get me wrong, I am pretty sure my disco can handle any road I throw at it. I am not gonna do crazy off-roading just for the sake of it, most of my off-roading will be a way to whatever destination I am going, that can be a gravel road, an ice road, frozen rivers, etc. I had in fact driven the disco on the ice roads in northern Alberta in Canada around Wood Buffalo National Park in December. I never had any problems although it does not have a rear diff. I needed to put it in low range a few times but that's all about it. I had Nokian snow tires fitted. But reliability is what I am worried about. I never had mechanical or major electrical issues in my car but there has been something going on or the other all the time, like tpms false errors, key fobs not working even after changing batteries, frequent problems with the AC (too much fogging in extreme cold), etc. I heavily rely on the car running out in Alaska as that's pretty much your only major source of heat. I have even photographed the aurora at temperatures as low as -55 F and have slept in the car after that with the heater running and with a CO alarm beside me. You really have to be on your toes with the aurora, else you will miss it. So I am very personal with my car. Its like a small home to me. So its extremely important for me that the car keeps running. I never had problems with the Jeep, also the disco was fine during the northern Canada trip although the key fob was causing issues. But I am not really sure whether it can keep doing it day in and day out. Also, there is no land rover dealership in Alaska, not even in Anchorage. On top of that, the disco takes premium high octane gas. The max octane which I can find regularly around Fairbanks is 91. Anywhere remote, 87 is what you will get. So all this makes me want to play safe but I dont want to blend with the crowd either. Does anybody have any first-hand day-to-day experience with such temperatures in a land rover?

The following 3 users liked this post by bhaswar:
angelboing (05-03-2021), dinkeldorf (04-30-2021), harris3344 (05-05-2021)
Old 04-29-2021, 08:57 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

I personally own a 3rd gen 4runner and ive been owning it for 21 years now and its been great but i think the Land Rover Discovery V is better to have as a daily driver for example better fuel economy but for realibility and other stuff I would take 4runner

Old 04-29-2021, 01:52 PM
Drifting
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also, there is no land rover dealership in Alaska, not even in Anchorage.
On top of that, the disco takes premium high octane gas.

These two things were top of mind the whole time I was reading your post.
This would give me pause...I'd prefer something less glitch-prone.

Old 04-29-2021, 02:52 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

While it doesn’t matter if the electric steering height adjust stops working, given the vehicle uses electronics for everything including it’s off road ability, I’d be inclined to use something simpler like a Jeep Wrangler although they’re horrible in cold weather without additional insulation. So maybe a land cruiser.
The lack of a Land Rover dealer and premium fuel compounds that decision.

There is a guy on YouTube running a new a Defender (which is practically the same vehicle for this debate) in the north of Canada which might make for good viewing: shedlock2000

The following users liked this post:
bhaswar (04-29-2021)
Old 04-29-2021, 05:44 PM
4wd Low

That's my thoughts as well but I am no expert. If it's at all a possibility, then I will give it a try. If the engine does not die in the cold and keep producing heat, I am good with trying. That's what I am scared of the most.

Old 04-29-2021, 05:45 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by LoneStarLR
While it doesn’t matter if the electric steering height adjust stops working, given the vehicle uses electronics for everything including it’s off road ability, I’d be inclined to use something simpler like a Jeep Wrangler although they’re horrible in cold weather without additional insulation. So maybe a land cruiser.
The lack of a Land Rover dealer and premium fuel compounds that decision.

There is a guy on YouTube running a new a Defender (which is practically the same vehicle for this debate) in the north of Canada which might make for good viewing: shedlock2000
This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you so much

Old 04-29-2021, 08:43 PM
Drifting
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I’m jealous of your Alaska adventures.

I spend a year at Clear AFS north of Denali and absolutely loved it up there.

I had a 3 year old Jeep Wrangler with oil pan heater, battery heater and indoor heater. I drove great but electric system was ruined after 1 harsh Alaska winter.

I had to sell the vehicle after I moved back to the lower 48.

Point of my story, avoid a Jeep Wrangler. Electronics are exposed and not well insulated in a Jeep Wrangler.

I do agree that no LR dealer is a major liability for you.

4Runner is your best bet.

I own a 2020 Land Rover Discovery 5. So far no issues!

Old 04-29-2021, 09:03 PM
Drifting
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bhaswar
Hey guys, I have been a current owner of a Discovery V from 2018 and have already put in close to 50K miles on that. I love driving the car and it has never failed on me big time other than minor technical and electrical glitches. I have the disco in Seattle WA but most of my travels take me to around Fairbanks Alaska and even interior Alaska in search of the Aurora in winter. I always end up renting a Jeep Cherokee Latitude from a local Alaskan rental company and it has worked well so far, at least on road. I know that's not the car you want in Alaska but given how many times I go, it gets expensive. They do provide studded tires though which is a huge benefit in itself when on road. Since covid, I have been working remotely and worked from a remote cabin in Alaska last winter for close to 3 months. I loved my time and intend to do that again next year. I had the Jeep with me throughout but I was missing the rover all the time. There were so many inner roads, ice roads, etc that I could have tackled with the disco which I did not dare try with the Jeep latitude. I actually got stuck trying to do that once and you don't want to get stuck in those winters as it can literally kill you if you are not prepared enough. So I decided I will take my car with me next time. Either drive it to Fairbanks from Seattle if the border is open or ship it in time. And it's there that I am not sure whether I want to keep the disco or trade it in for a Toyota or a jeep, mostly something like a Tacoma, tundra, 4runner, rubicon, gladiator, etc. Don't get me wrong, I am pretty sure my disco can handle any road I throw at it. I am not gonna do crazy off-roading just for the sake of it, most of my off-roading will be a way to whatever destination I am going, that can be a gravel road, an ice road, frozen rivers, etc. I had in fact driven the disco on the ice roads in northern Alberta in Canada around Wood Buffalo National Park in December. I never had any problems although it does not have a rear diff. I needed to put it in low range a few times but that's all about it. I had Nokian snow tires fitted. But reliability is what I am worried about. I never had mechanical or major electrical issues in my car but there has been something going on or the other all the time, like tpms false errors, key fobs not working even after changing batteries, frequent problems with the AC (too much fogging in extreme cold), etc. I heavily rely on the car running out in Alaska as that's pretty much your only major source of heat. I have even photographed the aurora at temperatures as low as -55 F and have slept in the car after that with the heater running and with a CO alarm beside me. You really have to be on your toes with the aurora, else you will miss it. So I am very personal with my car. Its like a small home to me. So its extremely important for me that the car keeps running. I never had problems with the Jeep, also the disco was fine during the northern Canada trip although the key fob was causing issues. But I am not really sure whether it can keep doing it day in and day out. Also, there is no land rover dealership in Alaska, not even in Anchorage. On top of that, the disco takes premium high octane gas. The max octane which I can find regularly around Fairbanks is 91. Anywhere remote, 87 is what you will get. So all this makes me want to play safe but I dont want to blend with the crowd either. Does anybody have any first-hand day-to-day experience with such temperatures in a land rover?

straight from the owners manual...

...if premium unleaded fuel is not available, use unleaded fuel with a lower octane rating, down to a minimum of 87 AKI...

Discovery V has been all over the world. Why should Alaska be any different?

Old 04-30-2021, 05:48 PM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Cool gig, bet you experience some amazing things! Did you do the Alaska Highway drive from WA? The lap up through Kamloops is amazing, though the lesser travelled Jasper to Spokane might even be better.

I've spent time recreationally & professionally in some pretty cold places in northern Canada. We've done time around Prince George, Grand Prairie, Slave Lake and of course Banff & Jasper etc year around. It gets pretty cold. My advise is go with what the locals have. Reliability, RF (not cellular) remote start, good tyres, big fuel tanks, and good HVAC non negotiable. In small town BC, Tacomas reign for the outdoor set, then the domestics if you're into sledding.

Good luck.