Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Draining the DEF AdBlue Tank

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2023, 11:37 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

where is this on the vehicle ?

What kind of tools did you use to access the location ?

Old 02-13-2023, 12:22 AM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The DEF tank is in the left front fender behind front wheel, But I've just let the dealer handle tank issues, other than refilling myself.

In other news, I'm with @Guidumar : as a replacement tow vehicle for our 25ft Airstream, I've bailed on LRNA diesels and gone Redneck: just picked up a 2000 F-350 7.3L diesel 4x4 dually that has been loved for 22 years by one careful owner - came with overdrive, 100 gallon add-on tank in the bed plus a get-the-hell-outta-my-way air horn on the roof. (not to mention a VHS player and TV for the back seats, and I do mean TV ....). No Catalyser to get stolen, no more stink of urea, no smog worries (yes sir, tailpipe's connected, not too much blue smoke - PASS!).

Maybe it's due to the better half's packing skills but the trailer was just too much for the TD6 - all the CA emissions BS has made it too fragile to be trusted towing out in the big Ol' 'Mercan Wild West. Will keep the TD6 for the snow and the City (and send the old LR3 off with a kid to college somewhere cold).

Old 02-14-2023, 01:08 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by asmith
The DEF tank is in the left front fender behind front wheel, But I've just let the dealer handle tank issues, other than refilling myself.

In other news, I'm with @Guidumar : as a replacement tow vehicle for our 25ft Airstream, I've bailed on LRNA diesels and gone Redneck: just picked up a 2000 F-350 7.3L diesel 4x4 dually that has been loved for 22 years by one careful owner - came with overdrive, 100 gallon add-on tank in the bed plus a get-the-hell-outta-my-way air horn on the roof. (not to mention a VHS player and TV for the back seats, and I do mean TV ....). No Catalyser to get stolen, no more stink of urea, no smog worries (yes sir, tailpipe's connected, not too much blue smoke - PASS!).

Maybe it's due to the better half's packing skills but the trailer was just too much for the TD6 - all the CA emissions BS has made it too fragile to be trusted towing out in the big Ol' 'Mercan Wild West. Will keep the TD6 for the snow and the City (and send the old LR3 off with a kid to college somewhere cold).
Hello,

I'm curious as to the GVWR for your trailer? The owners manual says the maximum trailer towing is 3500kg /7700lbs
I'm researching a purchase on a td6 for towing as well.

Thanks

Old 02-14-2023, 01:27 PM
Drifting
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Getting off-topic here but … Our Airstream is rated 5700lbs empty, 7300lbs gross (but I don’t know actual net - see above). I think the tongue weight is well over-spec but it needs the weight-distribution hitch to make things behave dynamically. That leads to shredding front tyres and probably contributed to an early air compressor failure (yes, even earlier than usual …).

The rig runs great when it’s great but we’ve had enough “moments” to think it needs something heavier and less fragile up front, hence the F-350. Happy to share more suspicions and conjecture if you want to PM me.

The following users liked this post:
traffictech870 (02-14-2023)
Old 08-18-2023, 02:04 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help!

Originally Posted by Sasquatch86
Very easy, just did mine. On the drivers side remove the middle steel skid plate to access the tank then if you look up on the side of the tank there is a rubber hose about 6-8 inches long. Rotate it down and pull the cap off and drain into a bucket.
I had a look under mine tonight - same issue sadly and couldn't locate it. Any advice would be most appreciated!

Cheers

Alex

Old 08-20-2023, 05:10 PM
Mudding
Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by AlexMc
I had a look under mine tonight - same issue sadly and couldn't locate it. Any advice would be most appreciated!

Cheers

Alex
It's not under the front fender. It's underneath, LH side just rear of the DEF doser. It has a steel shield covering it. The picture shows the filler pipe entering the tank.

Old 11-22-2023, 10:42 AM
6th Gear
Default DEF injector gasket

Ok, no video shows a little metal gasket inside the DEF injector. It fell out when I was picking crystallization. I’m sure there is a right side and a wrong side to installing. Can anyone help?

Old 11-22-2023, 10:44 AM
6th Gear
Default Drain DEF

My DEF tank is located in the same place as in this picture. Midway back above the injector. To drain the tank, is there a drain plug and where do you access. Or, do I have to unclamp the intake hose and pump the DEF fluid out?

Old 11-22-2023, 10:48 AM
Mudding
Received 62 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by disco junkie
Ok, no video shows a little metal gasket inside the DEF injector. It fell out when I was picking crystallization. I’m sure there is a right side and a wrong side to installing. Can anyone help?

Not sure it matters but here's how mine was oriented when I cleaned it last weekend.

Just as another point of reference, mine was at 102k miles before it threw the DEF quality error and needed cleaning.

Last edited by RyanLR3; 11-22-2023 at 11:25 AM.
Old 11-22-2023, 10:57 AM
6th Gear
Default DEF injector gasket

Cool and thanks for the picture. I’m having the same common problem as I see posted a lot. “Bad quality DEF detected”. No start in 250(now160) miles. Seems like that message may not be accurate. Sounds like I now drive it and wait for a “dosing”error and after that, drive on interstate for 30 minutes or so. Any other suggestions?

Quick Reply: Draining the DEF AdBlue Tank