New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally had a problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2020, 08:52 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

It appears that our latest "DOA" problem is a new issue related to the negative [ground] from the battery as well. Just FYI. All I know at the moment.

I asked for a spec on battery bleed and they could not [or just would not?] give me one. That would be the "vehicle OFF" spec for current bleed to power everything that remains active. If this is excessive by defect or design, it will cause premature battery failure others have reported and we too have experienced. A true "deep cycle" battery would help that if the bleed is "by design". I [we] like the vehicle enough I am at least considering buying a decent service manual for it since I would like to understand what might be going on better than I do now.

Old 08-15-2020, 11:09 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

Originally Posted by canon_mutant
It appears that our latest "DOA" problem is a new issue related to the negative [ground] from the battery as well. Just FYI. All I know at the moment.

I asked for a spec on battery bleed and they could not [or just would not?] give me one. That would be the "vehicle OFF" spec for current bleed to power everything that remains active. If this is excessive by defect or design, it will cause premature battery failure others have reported and we too have experienced. A true "deep cycle" battery would help that if the bleed is "by design". I [we] like the vehicle enough I am at least considering buying a decent service manual for it since I would like to understand what might be going on better than I do now.
I have since tossed out the results of my experiment but I did measure the voltage on my BMW X3 and my D5 when I parked them side by side in my garage before a 3 week trip without them. When I returned, both started and ran fine and both had similar voltage losses, maybe a few tenths of a volt each.
I have since decided to put them on voltage tenders when I travel (when I used to travel) for 3 or more weeks at a time because it's easy and I thought it would help the batteries last longer. I just changed the original battery in the X3, after just over 7 years. It was still good, never gave an error, but I figured it would go bad at an inconvenient time.

Old 08-20-2020, 08:26 PM
Rock Crawling

Whatever this is, when it happens, it drains the battery VERY quickly. The service dept says they are still waiting on "some tool" to help them debug it. I wish I could find a schematic since I am pretty confident I could debug it with the appropriate information. But, I'm not sure how to get a decent service manual much less a detailed schematic.

Good news? We did finally get a 2 month lease refund AND the ~$400 reimbursement for the rental car we had to get the one time they had no loaners available.

4th trip in on this one problem, we are well into month 3 of not driving it but we will certainly take what we got. I am worried this may have to go the lemon law route pretty soon and I hate that because we actually love this vehicle. But, hard to keep loving it when it lives at the dealership . . .

The following users liked this post:
gmfain (08-21-2020)
Old 08-22-2020, 03:59 PM
Overlanding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Canon_Mutant. Thanks for all of the detailed chronicling of your woes. So sorry to hear about all of it and now even more so as my 2019 D5 seems to be exhibiting the same behavior. I had it in this week for an oil change at 3500 miles and they did the N400 Battery stud replacement (Ground stud I believe). They were unable to get the rig to start at the dealership and contacted JLR who told them to do a reset of the Battery monitoring system as the alternator would only charge between 11.8 and 12.3 Volts. This seemed to fix it and I picked it up Thursday afternoon and drove it the rest of the day and all day Friday. This am I go to start it and it is deader than a doornail. Waiting on roadside assistance to come and drag it out of my garage and onto a tow truck. Here is the service ticket FYi

Old 08-22-2020, 09:23 PM
Rock Crawling

If it is like mine, they can put their porta-batt on it, start it, and you should be able to drive it onto the truck. If not, you have to have at least some power to even get it out of E-Park. Here is a less than adequate resolution of the procedure for that.

Old 08-23-2020, 08:04 AM
Overlanding
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

thanks for this Canon_Mutant. We couldn’t get it started with the hot shot. We ended up putting a dolly under the rear wheels, putting it in neutral and pushing it out of the garage and then he picked it up and off we went. Really good AAA tow truck guy who is contracted by LR Roadside assistance I must say. Ran into my sales manager as we were dropping the car at closing time. He told me not to worry. :-). Famous last words!

I suspect my problem is slightly different than yours though. How is it that the charging system would work normally with any of the doors open vs closed? I wonder if the reboot they did to the system didn’t “take” or something? hopefully we will find something out this week. I don’t want to be sitting here 3 months from now wondering when they will solve my problems...

Old 08-23-2020, 08:30 PM
Rock Crawling

That is great news!

The guy that showed up here was COMPLETELY clueless . . . as it appears my Service Dept is. Maybe it's something going around here in the midwest?

Just sad. As I have said before, I suspect this vehicle is going to end up going lemon law just because [now] going on 4 mths of our 16 has been at the dealer. Per above, we did get a 2 mth refund of our lease but that is all they are allowed to give [so they say]. Just like our Touareg that we also loved, if your service dept cannot fix it and VW or LR will not pay for trucking it to someone that can, what can you do?

I'm still at least mildly hopeful . . . but it's running out. I love diesels but the wife would drive another Volvo in a heartbeat. Probably should buy a Subaru like normal people but . . . I pride myself on being "abby normal".

The following users liked this post:
gmfain (08-24-2020)
Old 08-29-2020, 12:01 AM
Rock Crawling

Sigh . . . well they got whatever the "special tool" was [DVM? ], supposedly fixed our car though I do not have specifics on what they did and, bringing it over to where the wife works to exchange with her loaner. . . the check engine light came on => back to the dealer.

I guess better before the exchange than after?

How does a vehicle run nearly 15,000 miles without a single complaint, amazing vehicle, could not be happier, get actually 2 problems but really just one since the P2002 appears to be more S/W bug than an actual hardware problem, and it is now just a really expensive paperweight? I already asked LRUSA to have it sent to a different service department but they won't pay for the haul. Of course, I can if I want to pay nearly $1000 to do it . . .

They've got one more week. I've had it. Not sure how lemon law works with this being our first lease but I guess I'll be finding that out.

There are WAY more important, serious etc problems in the world right now to say the least but I've got to have my wife in a vehicle I trust is not going to leave her stranded somewhere, a dealership that knows what the hell they are doing, and a company that can at least "pretend" to give a $hit! When I finally got through to LRUSA to discuss options, after placing me on hold for the better part of 10 minutes, the gal asked me for my VIN again which granted I should have memorized by now but don't. I told her I'd have go back upstairs and find it . . . she said "I am not allowed to be on hold for more than a minute". So that was the end of that conversation.

It's completely befuddling . . . I'm open to suggestions!

Old 08-29-2020, 11:06 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

P2002 sucks... deal with it from time to time in forklifts. Dumbest issues have been with the perkins tier iv diesels with "antennas" at each side if the dpf... if they get "out of tune" all kinds of junk has to be done with some special adapters and eliminators and retune and start over. This isn't a brand specific deal. I'm cerified in Cummins, Perkins, Volvo, and Mitsubishi tier iv diesels... I'd never own a tier iv diesel in any brand.... and I am a master mechanic in IC and electrical.

Old 08-29-2020, 09:24 PM
Rock Crawling

Meh, as reported earlier, the P2002 is just an inconvenience. I think it is just the particulate filter cleaning takes longer than my wife's trip to work or back and does not complete. That never was a problem with our 3 previous diesels but perhaps LR just takes longer? But, it comes and goes and does not affect vehicle operation [so far] beyond the idiot light.

The serious problem reported here is complete loss of electrical power. Just DOA! It can happen while driving or the last time was just overnight here in the garage.

You know, I am "trying" to be understanding that everyone from dealer service, to dealer management, to LRUSA personnel are all dealing with the puddle of $hit right now in the country on numerous fronts but it does not change the fact that, since April, we have had our Discovery mostly living at the dealer service department. We are in month 4 here of not using it just 16 months into our lease. As reported earlier, they refunded 2 months of our lease earlier this month which is all they will do and finally also refunded the nearly $400 Enterprise rental from earlier when they had no loaners available but just at a loss to know where to go with this?

Quick Reply: Finally had a problem