New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally had a problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2020, 05:23 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

Makes me wish for the days of turning the ignition off literally cutting power to everything. There was no drained battery due to some module in the car not receiving a shutdown signal from the main computer...

I’m surprised they can’t figure out what is draining it. I’d have thought every module would have some kind of log file they could analyze like any other computer to see if something was active when it should have been off, but I don’t know how car diagnostics and monitoring works, only regular computer systems...

I do know that I’d be wanting a new vehicle at this point, or a refund.

The following users liked this post:
canon_mutant (08-30-2020)
Old 08-30-2020, 11:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Sad thing? If I actually find a detailed "accurate" schematic and necessary specs, I am completely confident that I could fix this. 32 years now retired systems engineer. But, if I could even get the information I need and I muck with it, the warranty is gone.

Old 08-31-2020, 08:33 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 102 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by canon_mutant
Sad thing? If I actually find a detailed "accurate" schematic and necessary specs, I am completely confident that I could fix this. 32 years now retired systems engineer. But, if I could even get the information I need and I muck with it, the warranty is gone.
exactlly... this really takes someone with knowledge and drive to just get in elbows deep... they will either find the module or sensor causing the issue or find the wiring problem... sometimes intermittant issues really take some digging and time... i know that where I am, my company has 50 something techs in a huge metroplex. About 5 of whom can accurately and proficiently diagnose the .5% electrical issues.... and 3 of those that have the drive to find it every time and play "cleanup crew" for the others. At dealership levels, it can be difficult to find a guy that can handle these types of issues... which is why stuff gets lemon'd instead of fixed... because everything can be fixed. This stuff isn't magic but it takes work... and an average tech getting a suggestion once a week from corporate tech support isn't going to do it.

Old 08-31-2020, 09:03 PM
Rock Crawling

Hey, we got it back today. I told the wife her "new" loaner is WAY nicer than the last 2. She almost threw a dish at me . . .

She at least made it from work, to running errands, to home . . .

Tomorrow is a brand new day though.

The following users liked this post:
1979rover (09-01-2020)
Old 09-01-2020, 10:31 AM
Rock Crawling

They give you any info on whay they did? It could be as simple as a pin not pushed all the way in on a harness connector.

Old 09-01-2020, 09:12 PM
Rock Crawling

I have to go in and raise some more hell. The printout they gave her is from 2 trips ago. Says they replaced the battery and did the ground wire terminal, added star washer service bulletin thing in back. They "told me" on the phone that there was a new similar ground problem up front they had to fix but that is not what the paperwork says. Also, the wife does not pay attention but I just noticed reprogramming everything from the NO POWER and it has 17,600 miles on it now. Holy BaGeeZus! 13,780 when this all started. We have only had it in our possession a little over a month during the last 4. We did get to CO and back once ~ 1000 miles and "maybe" another 750 miles at most around here [maybe]. I wonder if we had fun on the ~ 2000 miles of trips we did NOT go on?

LRUSA already sent me a "satisfaction survey" yesterday and a "why haven't you filled out your satisfaction survey" today emails.

Do you REALLY want to know Rory?

I am going to take a ground measurement between ground under the hood and the ground on the battery to see how much R there is? I have 6 foot leads for my DVM. I think that will reach with the DVM about rear seat? If not, easy enough to fab longer ones. I have heard of weird ground issues with these aluminum unibody designs. Even a 1/2 ohm will cause enormous I^2*R power issues especially when they start transitioning between dissimilar metals.

Old 09-02-2020, 09:09 AM
Rock Crawling

That's infuriating on them not telling you what they did... can you check the trip tracker and see where all they took it? Planet Lincoln gave me the worst dealer experience I've had... needed a cam chain solenoid replaced under warranty... took them 2 months (had a loaner) and gave it back smoking on start up... took it back... they had it another month... came and got it and they said it was pcv valve and a PSB covered it. I called em on the bs that the pcv PSB (i had already read all the PSBs for the vehicle) was for smoking during idle after running and warmed up... not a giant puff of smoke at start up. No idea what they actually fixed and why it took them so long... didn't even wash it... was kinda worried about it and then it got totalled not long after... I might have gotten a Lincoln Aviator instead but between the Lincoln dealer screwing with me and the want of offroad capabilities. I am hoping that any dealer experiences I have go better... Sorry to muck up your thread.

Old 09-02-2020, 06:18 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts

They put 2,000 miles on it?!
If you have it enabled on incontrol check the trips on your phone app..
If you don’t, ask the dealer to explain the miles and if they don’t ask Land Rover as all this stuff is tracked as far as I know.

Old 09-02-2020, 08:49 PM
Rock Crawling

Yes, it is infuriating. So far it is just "after we got it working each time we needed to try to make sure it was working" nonsense. Does not give you much faith in the fix[es], huh?

Good to know about incontrol, thanks. Doubtful it is enabled since I did not even know about it. I do have the LandRover App on my Iphone but I have not messed with it. It's the wife's car and she does not have it on her Samsung. I only get to drive it on "special" occasions when it is NOT at the dealer, needless to say. I'll check into it though . . .

I went for a short drive when she got it back [this time] and it is still an AMAZING vehicle. Unfortunately, so was our 09 VW Touareg as I reported earlier on. It had to go after 18 mths for similar dealer nonsense.

An hour, one way, to get there so they said they could email me the "right" service printout but I did not get it today.

Last edited by canon_mutant; 09-02-2020 at 08:52 PM.
Old 09-03-2020, 10:23 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts

Two THOUSAND miles????

That's an obscene amount of travel. I'd be surprised if you put that many miles on your loaner.

I would definitely be asking questions.

Quick Reply: Finally had a problem