New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First servce?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 07:16 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Yesterday, I picked up our D5 (Si6) from its first service. I read here that some only paid $120... Below the itemized list - $130/h is not shabby!

Last edited by BelGSX-R; 03-01-2019 at 07:25 AM.
Old 03-01-2019, 07:19 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Not sure which engine you have. An oil change on SI-6 shouldn't be more than $180 including labor.

Also, why would they flush your fuel system on a new car?

Old 03-01-2019, 04:57 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts

For SI6: Just got a quote from Colorado Springs LR for oil change: $110 plus tax which would be about $10. This was from the service department so includes labor.
Their parts department wanted $9.75 per quart for Castrol Edge oil and $32.74 for the filter. Came out to $120 including tax for 8 quarts plus filter. (I know it's supposed to take a little over 8 quarts).

Sounds like a pretty fair dealership. I'll probably go there or try and get my local Denver LR dealer to match the price.

Old 03-04-2019, 05:21 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by BelGSX-R
Yesterday, I picked up our D5 (Si6) from its first service. I read here that some only paid $120... Below the itemized list - $130/h is not shabby!

I see a couple of things I would have an issue with...
I could change the oil in less than 1/2 hour and I'm no mechanic.
Fuel system flush? C;mon.....
3.99 for windshield washer fluid? Walmart has it for .99
? Does it really take 9 quarts of oil?
BTW my dealer quoted less than $200.00 for first service....after of course I questioned them on what exactly they do.

The following users liked this post:
RoverRod (04-09-2019)
Old 03-04-2019, 06:03 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts

I think you should go to your dealer and get a price adjustment.
Those are not legitimate list prices for oil filter or oil, they are very inflated.
I think the fuel system flush was just a can of magic additive.
And what's all that labor for? An oil change and pour in a can of additive to the gas tank and top up the washer fluid?
I'd find a place to complain and make a lot of noise. Your dealer is ripping you and probably other people off.

Also, go to the website for that dealer and see if they have the oil change price online under service or service specials.
Also, email the service dept. and ask for an oil change price quote for your specific LR model.

The following users liked this post:
RoverRod (04-09-2019)
Old 04-04-2019, 03:28 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 2018 is almost a year old. I had the oil changed and snow tires put on in November at a local garage. Now I am planning on taking it back to the same local garage and having my regular tires put back on, get my state inspection sticker and do the yearly service (a little over 12,000 miles now). I paid $156.02 for synthetic oil, filter and labor (they did mention that my oil was special but they could get it with a days notice, which they did). I had 7582 miles at the time. Bought my snow tires from them (Blizzak) so no charge that time for mounting.
Any reason I should go to the dealer instead ? I heard it is not easy to reset the service light? My local place did not do that in November but it didn't need resetting yet. Just started getting the reminders now.
I am going to ask them about that when I make the appointment. Anyway easier and cheaper to say with my local garage but want to make sure I am not missing anything or causing warranty issues. Every other vehicle I have had was very easy to reset the service light yourself. Well any vehicle that had a light anyway, been driving since before those things were around

Old 04-04-2019, 06:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 139 Likes on 120 Posts

They can reset the service light but will need an appropriate code reader that talks to LR. If not you can buy one for about $80 and just do it yourself

Document oil changes and ensure they are specific on the oil used for warranty protection. Get the service schedule and have them follow that for brake fluid, various other filters etc.

What you'll miss out on by not going to the dealer is
- software updates. Lots and lots since your car was sold. Maybe you're happy with it but infotainment has moved on a lot
- typical known issues they will check (like water pumps on LR4 that were known to fail) - they can look and preemptively repair

That said most dealers will do a free checkup of the vehicle so you could do that a different time

Old 04-04-2019, 07:27 PM
Mudding
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BritCars
They can reset the service light but will need an appropriate code reader that talks to LR. If not you can buy one for about $80 and just do it yourself

Document oil changes and ensure they are specific on the oil used for warranty protection. Get the service schedule and have them follow that for brake fluid, various other filters etc.

What you'll miss out on by not going to the dealer is
- software updates. Lots and lots since your car was sold. Maybe you're happy with it but infotainment has moved on a lot
- typical known issues they will check (like water pumps on LR4 that were known to fail) - they can look and preemptively repair

That said most dealers will do a free checkup of the vehicle so you could do that a different time
My SIM card trial ran out in July and when I paid for a plan in August it wouldn't work. Did a 1/2 day at the dealer in August, they couldn't get it to work. Made an appointment for a loaner in September and long story short, they had it for two weeks and put a new telematics unit in and went to 18B.
18B froze a lot randomly. In December spent a few hours there and got 18C and Carplay. I really like it. I think 19 is out now? Probably some cool new stuff in there but I kind of want to wait until the magic maybe mythical version that brings OTA updates.

I think for this time I will stick with the local garage and document the oil etc. Probably go to the dealer once I see some tempting software updates.

I will report back if they get the service light reset properly.

Old 04-09-2019, 05:41 PM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$557.57 Ouch!! first service free from my dealer at 8200 miles (Si6)

Old 04-09-2019, 08:54 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Wow...

Did they itemize the work? Seems like highway robbery to me!

Originally Posted by RoverRod
$557.57 Ouch!! first service free from my dealer at 8200 miles (Si6)