Sponsored by:

Front seat headrest removal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2020, 06:57 PM
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front seat headrest removal?

Howdy folks
A few days ago, my well meaning f-i-l was trying to secure some Christmas presents in the front seat of my wife's '17 Disco. For reasons unknown, he ran the belt behind the head rest on the passenger side, where it promptly locked into position. We weren't receiving the Mona Lisa as a gift, so I am not sure why he even did this, but he did it and I'm kinda stuck trying to fix things.
As the belt sits, it's tight, I'm unable to free up the belt to extend it, and I cannot slide it over the headrest. With the electronically adjusted headrests, I can extend them upwards, but I haven't figured out how to release them or get them to go higher. If I can remove them, the belt will go back to the normal position.
My alternative is to unbolt the seat and lift it up, but I'm trying to avoid that if I can. All I've found on head rest removal searches pertains to the Disco Sport and haven't worked for me.
The car is due for a trip to the dealer for service, but we can't have a passenger in the front and the airbag light is now on, so I'd like to try and address this before driving 40 miles to get there.
Thanks

Old 12-27-2020, 04:40 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts

Just looked through my shop manual and it does not show how to remove the headrests. It shows everything else about the front seats though.
Alternatively, maybe you can unbolt the seat belt retractor mechanism but I bet the seat is in the way.
Maybe there's a release pawl hidden behind the cover panel?

Old 04-25-2023, 12:30 PM
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by booch
Howdy folks
A few days ago, my well meaning f-i-l was trying to secure some Christmas presents in the front seat of my wife's '17 Disco. For reasons unknown, he ran the belt behind the head rest on the passenger side, where it promptly locked into position. We weren't receiving the Mona Lisa as a gift, so I am not sure why he even did this, but he did it and I'm kinda stuck trying to fix things.
As the belt sits, it's tight, I'm unable to free up the belt to extend it, and I cannot slide it over the headrest. With the electronically adjusted headrests, I can extend them upwards, but I haven't figured out how to release them or get them to go higher. If I can remove them, the belt will go back to the normal position.
My alternative is to unbolt the seat and lift it up, but I'm trying to avoid that if I can. All I've found on head rest removal searches pertains to the Disco Sport and haven't worked for me.
The car is due for a trip to the dealer for service, but we can't have a passenger in the front and the airbag light is now on, so I'd like to try and address this before driving 40 miles to get there.
Thanks
Did you ever figure this out? I am trying to remove my front headrests on my 18' Disco and just can't find any information.

The following users liked this post:
TheManMac (04-25-2023)
Old 04-25-2023, 03:49 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 37 Likes on 25 Posts

I read about the process on Topix but forgot to download the PDF. the back of the seat will have to be removed in order to get to it. there is a bolt on each bottom side of the seat that has to be removed and then the cover can slowly be popped out. Just be careful of the upper 2 plastic parts the slide into the seat frame. Do not pull these as they are slide out in a downward motion. Once the rear cover is removed you can see where to release the headrest and the electric connection the motor that moves it. I hope i remembered that correctly.