Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Halogen to LED Headlight Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2023 | 11:53 AM
|
6th Gear
Default Halogen to LED Headlight Conversion

Hi everyone, I purchased a 2018 Discovery HSE in August. Been getting a lot of use out of the forum and guides for things such as fuel filter replacement.

Anyway, my Discovery has the Halogen headlamp assemblies, and every time I pass any other LR vehicle on the road and see the LED assemblies, I am supremely jealous. I did some research to see if I could switch them out, and there was nothing to be found. Nevertheless, I hopped on eBay and ordered some LED assemblies presumably takeoffs from a totaled car. Before taking the bumper off and really going for it, I figured I'd plug them in to the wiring to see if it works. To no one's surprise, it was not immediately plug and play. The only function that works immediately is the low beam headlight. No DRL's, turn signal, high beam. I looked at the connectors on both assemblies and see that they have the same number of pins, but some are in different locations. Of course the wiring diagram is not available anywhere else, so I broke down and paid JLR for and hour of access to TOPIx. Got all the disassembly directions as well as all of the wiring diagrams for both the halogen and LED headlights. However, I am struggling to figure out where to go from there. I have moved a couple pins in the connector to no success, and the wiring on each diagram does not match. Obviously, there is power to the assembly since the low beam works, I just don't know how to figure out where the rest of the pins need to be moved to match up for turn signal/DRL/high beams. Since I already purchased the diagrams, I'm going to continue to fiddle around with it for a few days before I give up and return my LED headlights in their return window.

Has anyone attempted this conversion/have any advice on where to go from here? Thanks!

Old 12-13-2023 | 07:05 PM
Drifting

Can you post the wiring diagrams? You'll need a multimeter to check voltages to re-pin everything.

Old 12-13-2023 | 07:46 PM
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by 462disco
Can you post the wiring diagrams? You'll need a multimeter to check voltages to re-pin everything.
I attached the diagrams that I have. I ended up buying the GAP tool, and emailed back and forth with Patrick, but we've been unable to find what the solution is yet. I've got a week left before I'll need to return my LEDs. Was planning to give it one last go playing with the CCF before I give up.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LED Headlight.pdf (165.0 KB, 52 views)
Headlamp Right.pdf (1,023.9 KB, 36 views)
Halogen healight.pdf (199.3 KB, 51 views)
Old 12-13-2023 | 11:45 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by budroothedog
I attached the diagrams that I have. I ended up buying the GAP tool, and emailed back and forth with Patrick, but we've been unable to find what the solution is yet. I've got a week left before I'll need to return my LEDs. Was planning to give it one last go playing with the CCF before I give up.
I pulled photos of the pinouts of the LED and halogen headlights, It looks like a few of the pins match up, but I can't figure out the topix wiring diagram.
You might have to do this the hard way if you still want to pursue this project. You'd have to use a multimeter and figure out the +12v, ground, and signal wires when you turn the headlights/signals/parking light on at the body harness. Open up both headlights and trace wires to each module, and re-pin accordingly. It appears the halogen headlights have 10 pins and the LED ones have 7, so a few will be unused or possibly spliced. DI, POSITION LIGHT, and SIDE MARKER are on the halogen pinout that aren't on the LED pinout, and LED LIN is on the LED pinout but not on the halogen pinout.. best guess, I'd assume POSITION LIGHT goes to the LED LIN pin.. but again I'd have to check with a multimeter to be sure.

Have you considered an LED / HID projector retrofit? Won't have the look of the upgraded headlights but the lighting performance will be significantly better than the LED reflector assemblies.

Old 06-12-2024 | 09:06 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by budroothedog
did you ever get it to work? I'm currently waiting to do the same with my discovery sport and cant get it to work.. everything works except the main beam.. I'd appreciate your help if you managed to get it to work. Thanks

Old 06-12-2024 | 11:16 PM
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Adam long
did you ever get it to work? I'm currently waiting to do the same with my discovery sport and cant get it to work.. everything works except the main beam.. I'd appreciate your help if you managed to get it to work. Thanks
Nope, never got it to work. Ironically, only the main beam would work for me, nothing else.