New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HSE Lux Rear End Suspension Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 12:52 PM
Overlanding
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default HSE Lux Rear End Suspension Issues?

Just brought home the 2018 D5 and after a week, it seems like there's a bit of "weirdness" in the back end. Almost feels like the rear suspension sounds like it's bottoming out on really small on-road bumps at normal neighborhood road speeds- and the whole ride seems really stiff on the highway too (all at normal height. I only use access height when I'm trying to sneak into a parking garage...). After having an LR4 for seven years, maybe I just need to get used to the different suspension?

Anyone else have any experience with stiff ride? Is there a break in period?

Outside of that, she's been great. And from my perspective, a good update (outside of the differences in motors) from what I've loved the LR4 for and what the Disco 5 is now (from the context of what/how I've driven the LR4 and my hopeful expectations for the Disco 5). After the first foray in the dirt, the D5 performed adequately- even with the stock 20" pirelli tires. CarPlay performs well, app works, no gremlins (yet).

If anyone has any input or feedback, let me know.

Old 10-22-2018, 01:47 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

we have an 18', no weirdness.

Old 10-22-2018, 01:58 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I've got an '18 and don't have any issue with the back end feeling overly stiff or bottoming out.

Old 10-24-2018, 08:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 230 Likes on 161 Posts

I had an LR3 for 12 years and now have a 2017 D5. No weirdness, 20 inch tires. Have driven it on both the factory original Goodyears and now on Blizzaks.
The ride is great. Haven't had it in the dirt yet but did pull into a half foot of snow - downhill and uphill it didn't even act like it knew it was on snow.

Old 11-04-2019, 04:15 PM
Drifting
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bvdave
Just brought home the 2018 D5 and after a week, it seems like there's a bit of "weirdness" in the back end. Almost feels like the rear suspension sounds like it's bottoming out on really small on-road bumps at normal neighborhood road speeds- and the whole ride seems really stiff on the highway too (all at normal height. I only use access height when I'm trying to sneak into a parking garage...). After having an LR4 for seven years, maybe I just need to get used to the different suspension?

Outside of that, she's been great. And from my perspective, a good update (outside of the differences in motors) from what I've loved the LR4 for and what the Disco 5 is now (from the context of what/how I've driven the LR4 and my hopeful expectations for the Disco 5). After the first foray in the dirt, the D5 performed adequately- even with the stock 20" pirelli tires. CarPlay performs well, app works, no gremlins (yet).

My car also feels weird..... steering is vague and off center and it also has been riding rough over all bumps in road.

Old 11-04-2019, 05:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

I have found the rear a little soft at normal height and seem to bottom out more easily over speed bumps than I expected. Not been a big deal. Actually seems better when it is has more weight in the back.

And it may just be me, but sometimes it feels a bit firmer than other times. I have noticed a big difference in ride quality when I adjusted the air pressure in the tires to light load, actually a few PSI over.

Old 11-07-2019, 09:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Bad shock....

Originally Posted by bvdave

Mine had less than 3,000 miles and I started hearing a clunk. 2 X at the dealer before they found a bad rear shock. It felt weird at time as well.