Sponsored by:

InControl Remote App - iPhone

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 10:27 AM
Drifting
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Done steps 1, 2 & 3...still a few issues

Originally Posted by BritCars
My app is 100pc reliable and works every time. So keep with the dealer until they fix it. A few ideas

1) software update - good place to start
2) car battery. Only a 2017 but sometimes they fail prematurely. The electronics are v sensitive to a good battery
3) sim issue - someone else reported a bad sim reader. Have them run diagnostics on the system

Beyond that it should be up to them to fix. As I say mine is fully reliable

From my experience, I did #1 recently. Actually, I've done #1 6 times over the past year of owning my D5. SIX TIMES! Ugh! Finally, with this latest software update, no issues with disconnections from my phone. I had #2 done on the 5th month owning the vehicle. They changed that out and everything is working fine. I had #3 done BUT they only changed out the SIM card (not the reader). Sometimes I get a good connection to use the Remote, sometimes not. So, that's been inconsistent. What I have noticed though is when I start the car using the remote while the vehicle is in my garage (connected to my home wifi), it does start up- sometimes. Yesterday, it started up but my Remote app told never notified me that it had started. Then I went in the car, plugged in my iPhone XR Max and then the screen said that Apple Carplay is disconnected. The phone shows that it was connected BUT the vehicle's screen shows disconnected. So, I turned off the engine, unplugged the phone, stepped out of the car, locked it and waited 10 minutes for the vehicle to fully shut down. Got back in the car, started up, plugged in my iPhone, and it connecte seamlessly. My guess is that the Remote App is still buggy. I emailed my service guy and he forwarded my email to LR. Hopefully they'll fix all the issues.

Old 11-02-2018, 10:41 AM
Mudding
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by LR4Top
From my experience, I did #1 recently. Actually, I've done #1 6 times over the past year of owning my D5. SIX TIMES! Ugh! Finally, with this latest software update, no issues with disconnections from my phone. I had #2 done on the 5th month owning the vehicle. They changed that out and everything is working fine. I had #3 done BUT they only changed out the SIM card (not the reader). Sometimes I get a good connection to use the Remote, sometimes not. So, that's been inconsistent. What I have noticed though is when I start the car using the remote while the vehicle is in my garage (connected to my home wifi), it does start up- sometimes. Yesterday, it started up but my Remote app told never notified me that it had started. Then I went in the car, plugged in my iPhone XR Max and then the screen said that Apple Carplay is disconnected. The phone shows that it was connected BUT the vehicle's screen shows disconnected. So, I turned off the engine, unplugged the phone, stepped out of the car, locked it and waited 10 minutes for the vehicle to fully shut down. Got back in the car, started up, plugged in my iPhone, and it connecte seamlessly. My guess is that the Remote App is still buggy. I emailed my service guy and he forwarded my email to LR. Hopefully they'll fix all the issues.
Thanks for the info! I makes me fell less crazy

Since updating the ICTP SW, my app has done better. I originally thought I was about 75% connecting. But, it's been more like 50% after the first 4 days. The other night, I started connecting to it while I was driving home. Then every five minutes for the next 40 minutes while I was at home. Connected right away every time. After the 40 minutes, I waited 10 minutes. Didn't connect. It was on wifi at that point.

What I have noticed, too, is the SIM is spotty. It takes a long time after starting the car for it to show a signal. When I'm at work, I can't connect to the car with the app at all. But, when I get in the car and the signal shows up, it shows full bars. I don't know...

I'm planning to switch to a Verizon SIM to see if that makes it any better. Haven't found a spare micro SIM card yet...

Old 11-02-2018, 10:47 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 87 Likes on 67 Posts

My iPhone App lost connectivity with the D5 (2019 with 18c loaded as far a I can see). I had to log out of the app, close it (swipe up) then restart the app and log in again. Then it connected, seems to be a app issue in my case. But I have not had mine long enough to get a good sampling of issues.

Old 11-03-2018, 11:02 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I haven't had any issues with mine. I would look at the phone as the culprit. Maybe Wifi or signal is dropping?

Old 12-16-2018, 11:05 PM
Mudding

I’m still having trouble with mine. It looks like they update the app about every three months. Anyone heard of an update to the iOS app?

I have noticed that if I lock the car with the remote (even if already locked), the app connects 100% of the time. But that kind of defeats the purpose if I’m within unlocking distance...

Old 01-11-2019, 08:47 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by BchBum11511
I’m still having trouble with mine. It looks like they update the app about every three months. Anyone heard of an update to the iOS app?

I have noticed that if I lock the car with the remote (even if already locked), the app connects 100% of the time. But that kind of defeats the purpose if I’m within unlocking distance...
I took the car in for an appointment to look at the TCU SW (per LR North America customer service call). There was a SW update that came out mid-Dec (18D) that so far seems to have fixed my issues *fingers crossed*. I've tried to connect 12 times in the last day and a half through the Remote App, and it connected every time. I've tried to start it 4 times and each time it's started like expected. I'll keep testing it this weekend to make sure it continues, but looks like the Powertrain Control Module SW update or the Infotainment SW update they did has fixed the problem.

Old 01-13-2019, 07:53 PM
Mudding

Well, I think I'm ready to call this fixed. After 18 times of attempting connecting to the car, I've only had twice where it didn't work right away (but a swipe down to refresh fixed the problem both times). So, if anyone is having any issues with the InControl Remote App, I recommend they take it to the dealer and let them know the TCU/PCM SW needs to be checked for an update. And, might as well say the infotainment SW needs to be updated to 18D

Old 01-15-2019, 03:47 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I still haven’t decided. I really wanted to take the plunge for this new disco, but I’ve read countless stories about this crap.

i also know that if I get a new land cruiser, everything will work 99.99% of the time for the next 15 years without issue.

Is it not embarrasing having this stuff happen around your friends, having to chalk it up to “that just my land rover, hahaha, you know how these get.”

i had an L322 RR that luckily I did all major repair work on myself including an engine rebuild.

i really, really want to keep liking Land Rover, but if you are a multi billion $$ company, and I assume a lot of you on this board are at least decent business men or else you wouldn’t buy an $80k vehicle, wouldn’t you do everything in your power to make the stigma of unreliability go away?

I mean if I was the ceo if Land Rover I would dump a land cruiser in front of the engineers, and tell them if a Land Rover fails any test before land cruiser you are fired.

The stigma has not changed in my 32 years of being on this earth. And apparently for good reason.

I was a Land Rover lover for the longest time, but getting older, I’m not sure I can stand idly by and keep chalking up things like this to “Land Rover quirks” when there is absolutely no reason on this planet they can’t be the best SUV on the planet.

look at what Musk has done with Tesla. He straight up made a car company from scratch whose products WORK! They have some of the most reliable software advancements in the entire industry.

I simply dont understand.