New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Infotainment system down 2020 Disco 5, unable to check for software update

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2023, 02:50 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Infotainment system down 2020 Disco 5, unable to check for software update

I've been reading about the various challenges with Jaguar/Land Rover infotainment glitches but haven't found anyone with my specific situation (yet). For the past year I've noticed intermittent pauses on the screen, ie the Land Rover logo will persist during back-up or occasionally longer while driving. It usually resets on its own. My vehicle has the SIM card, was at the dealer 7 months ago for recall issue and software update installed at that time, none since.

For 2 days, the infotainment screen shows vertical lines only, no way to navigate to settings to check for software updates. I attempted a reset by holding power button for a minute, no change. I disconnected the car battery, left the vehicle for an hour, reconnected, no resolution.

Closest LR service center is 250 miles from me. I have a call in to them, no response after 24h. Any ideas from the brilliant minds of the forum?

Last edited by RugbyOregon; 06-03-2023 at 02:53 PM.
Old 06-03-2023, 09:21 PM
Winching
Received 283 Likes on 177 Posts

I'm afraid a dealer visit is in order.

Old 06-05-2023, 07:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts

After an update on my system I started having slower and slower response times, sometimes locking up for minutes or longer. Not the same lines you have seen.
Under warranty my dealer attempted to fix it using multiple diagnostic steps and it got hosed totally. The diagnostics indicated replacement of the screen but that failed to fix it.
It was undrivable in that state. Diagnostics indicated replacement of a module that controls the screen. No modules were available anywhere. After a long search they sourced one from Jaguar and it fixed it.
It took over 2 months to get it back. Many thousands of dollars if not for the warranty.
One thing I won't do now: any updates
I hope your issue is resolved more favorably.
Part of the story you should note: if the part you need is unavailable from LR, try sourcing from Jaguar.

The following users liked this post:
RugbyOregon (06-05-2023)
Old 06-05-2023, 08:41 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

follow up:

After 4 days, the screen flickered to life (though it looked funky) and I was able to slowly navigate to the software update screen. I learned I had missed a few updates, indicating (I think) that my SIM card was not functioning. I removed and replaced the SIM, locked then restarted the vehicle. The new software version was still not downloading. I navigated to the wifi screen, connected to my home wifi, and the update started to download but would not install. A day later it installed for unclear reasons and the system is now functioning perfectly.

I think my problem was a bad SIM card. I have the an appointment at the LR dealer service dept for late summer to get the windshield recall issue fixed. I'll ask about the SIM at that appointment. Thanks for the replies.

Old 06-06-2023, 12:08 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

I'll just say the one thing that scares me is the screen and software. I want an extended warranty but I'll admit I got burned once with a highly rated company declaring BK.