New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking windshield - early 2019 (Slovakia build)

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2020, 06:03 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 90 Likes on 74 Posts
Default Leaking windshield - early 2019 (Slovakia build)

Took the disco in for its scheduled safety recall today and it was bucketing it down with rain so given COVID and the climate here this was my first time driving it in seriously heavy rain. By the time I got to the dealer which took 30 mins I noticed the windshield was leaking. Once I realized it was going to be raining for this trip I was hoping any leak would show itself rather than in the future when I might be far from home, so lucky in a way.
Showed the service advisor who said windshields were scheduled to reach/leave the UK January 11th (he somehow knew this off the top of his head) and said he would book me in for the end of the month along with a loaner as they’d need it for a few days as they had to actually do the soap test to get the screen.
He said the issue is so endemic he’s surprised there hasn’t been a recall for it (personally I’m not surprised as due to the high cost and the fact it isn’t really a safety issue it would be a purely economic/business decision not to fix a vehicle until necessary).

When the recall was finished he told me he tried to cheat the system to get the windshield ready so I could just come in and wait while they replaced it but the system insists on having actual photos uploaded of the soap test, so no dice.

Goes in January 25th and I don’t care how long it takes them as long as a I get a loaner but this place does not have a good track record in that regard...

The solid bead running down is on the inside.

The solid bead running down is on the inside.

Last edited by LoneStarLR; 12-31-2020 at 10:45 PM.
Old 01-01-2021, 09:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 237 Likes on 165 Posts

So why do you have to wait to do the soap test? Do it now, and when the windshield arrives they can put it in while you wait, if that's what you want to do.

Old 01-02-2021, 08:22 AM
Rock Crawling

New years eve and they were fully booked, no time beyond the 30mins I was in for the recall...

Old 01-05-2021, 12:48 AM
Three Wheeling
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a shipment coming from the UK that’s been in limbo between UK and US customs since Christmas, usually customs is cleared within 1-3 days max. So I would expect delays with the lockdown in the UK due to the new covid variant.

My 2019.5 Slovakia build windshield has remained water tight and hope it remains that way. It would be a disaster here in Seattle. I can’t remember the last day we didn’t have rain!

The following users liked this post:
canon_mutant (01-05-2021)
Old 01-25-2021, 02:20 PM
Rock Crawling

Dropped the D5 off at lunch time and was given an Evoque P250S as a loaner. They said it’ll take a few days to do the test and get the ok from JLR but the screen won’t be available for about 4 weeks so I can either leave mine there the whole time and put the miles on their loaner or pick mine up and take it away until the screen comes in.
Given the fact mine lives in a dry garage and the Evoque loaner is pretty horrible I’ll be doing the latter...

Old 01-28-2021, 10:38 AM
Rock Crawling

Got the call first thing this morning that the test has been completed, results sent to JLR and the windshield is "condemned" and a new one has been ordered.
I'm told JLR quote 4-8 weeks but they typically arrive in 4-6 so as I have a garage I am going to pick my vehicle up at lunchtime as I much prefer driving it than this loaner Evoque and I'd prefer it was home safe with me than sitting on a dealer lot. I will take mine back in when the windshield arrives..
I'm assuming the windshield install process is essentially the same as the Evoque:

Old 02-03-2021, 12:13 PM
Rock Crawling

Got a text that my windshield is in, just trying to organize a loaner as they want the car for a couple of days and that’s the tricky part as their loaners tend to be booked a month ahead...

Old 02-03-2021, 04:21 PM
Mudding
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Good luck with the loaner! What does "condemned" mean? Just curious as they took mine out and got it back in without breaking. I was hoping to get new as I had a teeny tiny chip in the screen.

Originally Posted by LoneStarLR
Got a text that my windshield is in, just trying to organize a loaner as they want the car for a couple of days and that’s the tricky part as their loaners tend to be booked a month ahead...

Old 02-03-2021, 09:02 PM
Rock Crawling

Condemned means the windshield is to be replaced.
Given the high cost of these things I’m surprised they don’t clean them up and put them back in with a new seal but maybe that costs more in labor than it’s worth? Who knows...

Old 02-22-2021, 12:23 PM
Rock Crawling

Got the call at 8:00 that they finally had a loaner available so dropped it off at 9:00 and am running around in a loaner a Evoque. Hope to get it back Wednesday but they’re pretty backed up given that last weeks customers who couldn’t come due to the storm are now all arriving with both service check in lanes backed up when I arrived this morning...

Quick Reply: Leaking windshield - early 2019 (Slovakia build)