New Discovery V Talk about the new Land Rover Discovery 5
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maintenance add on necessary??? Worth it??

Old 11-15-2017, 12:35 AM
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Maintenance add on necessary??? Worth it??

Curious if any of you added on any extra maintenance plan when purchasing your Disco? Is it worth it? Mainly the Term care (that supposedly covers replacement of brake pads for $1700 for 3 years) and Maintenance care (prepaid oil changes) for $1350 for 3 years?? I've never owned a Land Rover before therefore not sure how the maintenance schedule should be for this vehicle. Other than that... I love the drive! It's a wonderful car thus far!

Old 11-15-2017, 11:49 AM
Drifting
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I think its definitely worth it. We added the extended warranty for 10 years because we plan on keeping the vehicle for a long time. We negotiated on the extended warranty and got what we wanted. As for maintenance schedule, its best to take it to your service center at the dealership since they'll have a record on your vehicle's maintenance. My dealership sends me an email reminder for my maintenance. As for oil changes, these vehicles are very sophisticated in which my service center tells me to bring it in once a year. But look at your service manual for the exact mileage to bring your D in for service.

Old 11-17-2017, 12:38 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 129 Likes on 118 Posts

Pretty simple:

If you are able to change your own oil, do your own brakes, don't buy the plan.

If you can't, better LR do it than a lube tech who doesn't care what oil or filter goes on your car.

It's a Land Rover so the idea is (or was) that you as the owner are going to learn a lot about maintaining a car. If you just got it as a car and do not plan on servicing anything yourself, buy the warranty and maintenance plans. At least when you decide to sell it in a decade or so you will have the required perfect service record to justify a higher price.

Old 11-23-2017, 08:34 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 596 Likes on 362 Posts

Let's hope that the lighter D5 doesn't go through brakes every 30K miles like an LR4. That said, the dealer will charge you $1400 for new pads and rotors all around.

As for the oil changes, that cost seems ridiculous. Especially when the dealer is changing the oil every 15K miles. You can change the oil and filter yourself with minimal mechanical skills. You will need to buy a mityvac and oil filter socket. Then you can change the oil in 15 minutes or less.

The dealer sells some magical Castrol oil that you are supposed to use. If you are concerned about warranty compliance, then use it. However, that SCV6 has been around for a while and I have never heard of any engine issues yet, regardless of which oil is being used.

Most of us have decided it is better to change it more often (every 7500 miles) and use a high quality synthetic like Mobil 1. Buy it from Walmart in 5 gallon jugs for $23. Buy the oil filters from Atlantic British. See the oil change video below. It's for a V8 LR4 but the SCV6 is basically the same engine with a supercharger replacing 2 cylinders.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...49&FORM=VRDGAR

Last edited by PaulLR; 11-23-2017 at 08:40 AM.